• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Best driver on the market

Ha! TeeDubya just might fight you, he don't like Wraiths none.

Nah. I actually DO like Wraiths, but I always felt the Surge did the same thing.... but better. Wraiths are good drivers and I actually did throw stars for several years before I went to the ESP Surge permanently.

I honestly haven't had a Wraith in the bag for about 10 years. I'll mess with them in the field occasionally, but I haven't seriously thrown them in a long while.

To the OP, I felt the same way when I threw OLF's. And when I started throwing PD's (my fav). There's something special about a 9/10ish speed driver with a little overstability..

My vote for best driver, keeping all players and skillsets in mind, would probably be the Wraith.

Do fairway drivers count? If so the Leopard is where its at. I know it feels a bit weird with the odd wing, but the more you throw it the less you notice it. I actually had to look at my most recent Leo that i acquired as I couldn't feel the oddness.

meh, PD did it first.

I doubt that innova would have ever returned to the speed 9 control slot if not for the resounding success of the PD.

A friend, who does not disc, text me last night saying that his kid fell in love with disc golf at camp and "what's a Leopard disc". It's for this reason the answer is the

DX Leopard

To the OP, I felt the same way when I threw OLF's. And when I started throwing PD's (my fav). There's something special about a 9/10ish speed driver with a little overstability..

My vote for best driver, keeping all players and skillsets in mind, would probably be the Wraith.

I actually really do like the PD. I just don't have as many reps with it as I do with the Thunderbird. Last PD I threw was 165g and had a little high speed turn. The thing bombed. I was accurate with it too because it would always fade back after turning.

OLFs for me always seemed a little flat and glideless. I have very limited throws with them and don't remember falling in love with it.

Do fairway drivers count? If so the Leopard is where its at. I know it feels a bit weird with the odd wing, but the more you throw it the less you notice it. I actually had to look at my most recent Leo that i acquired as I couldn't feel the oddness.

I just never jived with the Leopard. I've thrown numerous ones. DX Leopard is way too understable for me. Even on steep hyzer releases it flips over hard into the dirt. A very joyless disc to throw.

Champion Leopards are manageable, but the rim seems so narrow that its hard to grip properly. I know some guys hate the really wide rim drivers, but I have the opposite problem with the Leopard. It always feels like its slipping when I throw it.

The only real fairway driver I bag is the Teebird. When I throw a fairway driver I want something straight-semi overstable. I've found little use for understable, floaty fairway drivers.

Obviously this is only one man's opinion, but lately I've been convinced that there simply isn't a better/more useful driver on the market than the Thunderbird. The damn disc does everything.

I feel this way about the Discraft Heat. It's my high percentage reliable disc I readily call upon in uncertain situations. If I only carried two discs, the heat would be one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose my favorite in this "Fairway/control" category right now is the undertaker. Great straight control driver, but I bag a few that cover a more Thunderbird type shot (flat FRZ, OS) to flippy. Feels very good in the hand and works well BH and FH.

My favorite Disc to throw, though, is the Truth (prE-macs, or flat EMacs). So awesomely awesome.

I may have to give the Valk another try. Probably been years since I threw one. Champ Valks are pretty mellow and seem to be able to handle pretty big rips.

If you haven't thrown a Viking recently, try one of them also.

If you haven't thrown a Viking recently, try one of them also.

I recently tried a Champ Viking, it was awesome. It flew like a beat in Thunderbird, but with a bit less HSS as in I don't think it would be nearly as wind resistant and it did give me decent turn on full power FH. But it was that -1/2ish flight, can hold lines and also shape lines. I really want to throw it side by side with a CD2 to see the differences, as the Viking never gets any talk and the CD2 is newer.

Basically if you're a normal arm speed player and want to throw McBeth's Thunderbird lines, the Viking seemed like a great option. If you have higher arm speed then it's not going to be as resistant/consistent as a Thunderbird.

Last edited:
The CD2 was what I wound up going with when the Thunderbird didn't beat in fast enough for my liking. I agree 100% with slowplastic's observation about the -1/+2 flight: can hold lines and also shape lines. I'd add that nose angle is king in making that difference. Also agree on the point that Thundie might be more useful for me if I had more arm speed. (Max distance around 360' last time I measured, typically throwing Speed 9 stuff in the 270-330' range.)

Another thought: it's rare for me to play a course at less than 3000' feet of elevation, and pretty frequent to be pushing up over a mile of elevation. It's possible that the Thunderbird would be more workable for my arm speed if I was closer to sea level more often.

I'll draw this analogy: if the Thunderbird is indeed a longer Teebird, then the CD2 is a longer Eagle. And I'm an Eagle man, through-and-through.

Last edited:
I may have to give the Valk another try. Probably been years since I threw one. Champ Valks are pretty mellow and seem to be able to handle pretty big rips.

Yes and in 1999 until the late 2000's a span of nearly 10 years a person held the distance record with a Valkyrie, and this was before a Valkyrie was made with a more pointed end in the 2010's sometime. Both Champion and Star are not bad for beginners and if the player feels a Valkyrie is not enough get a flat top Star model for a slightly less glide Valkyrie. I think that would work over using a Viking, a disc that is hard to find in Champion its premium plastic.

However there is not just one good Driver for everything.

I enjoy the Thunderbird as well. My label of 'best driver' would go to the Valkyrie. Just more useful for wider range of players. It's been around for so long and to this day is a great seller. My favorite Valyries are the production Champion Glow they put out lately. I hope they keep making them. Flat & they stay stable for so long.

I hope so to with the Champion Glow Valkyries and from what I felt, the other discs in that plastic. The Champion Glow feels like the old Champion from the 2000's, right after the CE plastic was discontinued in 2004, until the newer feel Champion came out in 2009-2010.

Last edited:
Yes and in 1999 until the late 2000's a span of nearly 10 years a person held the distance record with a Valkyrie, and this was before a Valkyrie was made with a more pointed end in the 2010's sometime. Both Champion and Star are not bad for beginners and if the player feels a Valkyrie is not enough get a flat top Star model for a slightly less glide Valkyrie. I think that would work over using a Viking, a disc that is hard to find in Champion its premium plastic.

However there is not just one good Driver for everything.

Hey, Captain Misinformation, April 26, 2002 ain't 1999 no matter how hard you party.

Latest posts