• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best First Disc

Cheetah or Leopard are both excellent first drivers. Although I do think it depends on who the person is. I also don't think the weight of the disc matters very much. Unless it's for a kid under 12 years old or so. I gave a guy a beat up 175g DX Valkyrie his first time out. After a couple throws, he was getting some decent distance.

I'm a newer player, an ESP Buzzz is what got it going for me and is still my favorite disc. Whenever I take one of my friends disc golfing for the first time, they always go for my ESP Comet.

I think the Innova starter pack is three good molds, with three crappy weights. Really just good for little kids imo. I started playing when I was 17, all of my discs were max weight. It didn't take me very long to figure them out.

I almost always give new people a neutral midrange in the 160ish weight range. Something like a shark is perfect, it's easy to control, doesn't fade hard for a shorter thrower, and is rounded enough to putt with too.
I have to go with this... the Shark is about the most user friendly disc I've ever thrown. I can't knock all the other midranges out there, but when folks are just starting out, results need to be good enough for them to have fun and enjoy the game. For my money, a 160'ish DX Shark is the easiest disc there is to throw well.

not the firebird i started with thats for sure
I can only imagine how well that worked out for you. Too bad you didn't read this thread before hitting all the local courses with a Fire Chicken...:p

I got my start with the Shark. Great disc to learn with.

I'm sure Buzzz, Roc, Comet, etc. would also be fine.

I have a 171g Ibex I keep in my car at all times to lend out to friends trying out the sport. That is just my neutral midrange of choice, but any neutral mid will work fine.

I've given beginners a Mako as a nice starter disc. My wife has been using a Fuse and Anode lately and can throw them straight, but I was thinking about picking up a Pearl for her to try.

I'd agree - a nice neutral disc. Classic Roc, XD, Shark, Comet, Aviar, etc

Pro-D Buzzz in the 160s
unless they have played a lot of "frisbee" recently, then maybe a mako would be better

agree with the many MAKOs and ill add its brother the MD2

my first was the dx coyote, so as many have said also, a neutral mid is ideal.

a stingray or cobra til their arm started coming in...Relaxed and understable for first timers or anyone really.

I forgot the groove. How stupid of me.

I started with a 150 dx wraith and 169 dx shark. Good discs, wraith was obviously a little fast, but I liked the stamp (still do)

If they demand to get a driver, Avenger SS. If they want a fairway, I'll let em use a gazelle.

Mids: Shark is a great one, my buddy wanted to try a kite out when he started. He likes it, I don't see it doing too bad for him.

Latest posts