• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Best gateway approach putter!

rxflores

Bogey Member
I am currently using my buzz for a mid range and aproach and use sss wizard for puts under 50ft. I kinda dislike my buzz for approach shots cause I always overthrow it. And I don't use my putters for approach cause I don't use them for nothing else. But I love the feel of gateway putters and don't like the speed of buzzz for aproach shots under 100-150. What's a good mold weight ect.
I've used the shark and upgraded to the buzzz after beating my shark to a flipper! List whatever you use for approach shots if u want and weight and such.
Thanks in advance

Why not throw your Wizard then or get another one for approaches/short tees? Putters have the ability to fly a lot further than 50' and don't have the same limitation that a golf putter has. They are also generally more accurate than faster discs too.

I use either a discraft Comet for approach shots because it can be a real finesse/touch disc max weight. For my approach putter I use a FLX Challenger max weight. Regular Wizards or SS are also good for approach/driving putters if you want to keep to the same mold.

zone is a little buzz when broken in. pro d is best after you smash a few trees. esp takes long time to break in.

My main reason not using my putter is cause I don't want to beat it up more due to it being at a perfect condition that I'm use to. So a wizard in a diff mold? How does the medium or soft feel? Is it feel like a soft magnet? How does the warlock compare to it I want one that has a lot of glide that I don't have to put much effort to.

Isn't the magic a understable wizard without the bead? Or with?

The Magic is its own unique mold. It isn't a stepchild of any other Gateway putter.

My favorite Gateway approach disc is an Evolution HPP Wizard. When I need a predictable hyzer line, this disc is crazy accurate. I use it from 150' - 250' with major confidence. On holes where it helps out, I always aim for a nice hyzer line approach...

Last edited:
Wizard, Warlock, Voodoo or Magic (stable to less in order more or less) try some pick one or any other putter for that matter. All putters excel at approaches.

With gateway you're prolly gonna have to go feel a couple due to the differences in S-SS-SSS. Some SS are firmer than the S, some are floppier than the SSS, all depends on the exact disc.

My main reason not using my putter is cause I don't want to beat it up more due to it being at a perfect condition that I'm use to.

i'm the same way, i have a 'putting only' putter that only gets thrown on wide open upshots.

try another sss or maybe a softer ss wizard or warlock. the stiffer plastics have less glide and will be a little harder to throw.

I'm looking for a disc with glide and easily thrown with little effort preferably similar flight path as the wizard. With the bead but I hear a lot of inconsistent molds with ss and soft wizard that's why I went with SSS but does lighter wiz have more glide but will flip in the wind?

The Wizard (for me) is the best throwing disc I have. I use it for everything 200 and in. It flies the way I tell it and it lays flat, which I want when running baskets. Its stable enough where u can pull on it hard yet it glides like a putter should. I use light weight ones for a lot of upshots as well. Tons of glide but great HSS.

I have some I like for putting and some I like for driving. They're so cheap it doesn't matter, they're easily replaceable...Just ordered another 10 from double D

So yeah, Wizard lol

Last edited:
i putt with organic wizards soft-firm feeling

and I LOVE approaching,driving and just plain throwing the Soft wizard 175g
it has changed my game so much for the better. I used to approach with the buzz up until a few years ago. now I find myself on the course judging holes and shots during the round by..... hmmm am I in wizard range???

Latest posts