• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Lid in heavy weights?

A sonic is a great golf disc. What were you trying to use it for? How heavy was it? They are really glidey but as long as you expect that you should have great results.

The sonic has a weird dome and flat shoulder. The rim is shallow for a catch disc and the rattler actually feels like a lid. The sonic has that weird center dome that requires some kind of arm speed as opposed to just snap. The rattler works like a catch that can actually work in wind. The sonic... meh.

BroD if you decide to test out two or three lids make one of them the rattler.

The condor and ultrastar are my votes for lids. Both are awesome for catch while waiting for those freinds that aren't so punctual.

Cfair, the anode is a great disc, but I'm surprised it replaced a comet. Off topic I know, but I'll give you mad props anyways.:clap:

Vote for the rattler, and the few times ive thrown a pirahna i liked it a lot, too bad they are OOP

I recently bought a 194gm Condor. I'm a happy man. Big, slow and easy to throw. It's supposed to be great for rollers too, but I have yet to try that.

frickin rattler BroD!

it's (almost) like a mini ultrastar

I carry one
great for catch
touch shots

I have a Rattler. I'm just not sure what it's for. It's liddy, but small diameter. I poke it at the practice basket sometimes.

I have a SuperSonic but it's lighter than air. I haven't thrown a regular DX Sonic in forever but I don't remember loving them.

For all you Rattler throwers, they're still pretty sweet in heavy weights? I hate throwing my 172g putters (Summit and Ion) and then having to gear way down to throw a 150g or lower lid. It's weird, I can go back and forth from light to heavy drivers or mids no problems but lids are so touchy they're tough for me to use as a golf disc.

The Rattler (and Condor, even though it's not technically a lid) have both been on my "to try" list for a short while.

the Rattler I throw is 172

my Ions are 170/1 (third run opaque)

the Rattler will do things that the Ion will not

Are you thinking to putt with a lid? If you're in close, why the light weight or the worry of it?

Can you clarify what slot/ shot you are trying to fill with your 'lid'?

The Rattler never made my bag. The Ion is not currently in the bag, but probably will be again soon, winning out over the Spike. Ion is not a putter- nor a lid-, but it flies like a frisbee, both forehand and backhand.

My rattler is a baby blue softee that I use for really short Annie's, weird touch shot, elevators and for when. I want to go for the basket at long distances. But at 176 it does okay in wind. Especially because it is a nice diameter.

Are you thinking to putt with a lid? If you're in close, why the light weight or the worry of it?

Can you clarify what slot/ shot you are trying to fill with your 'lid'?

Yeah, sorry I should have done that before.

NOT putting with this at all. Mainly long approaches where I want to float at the basket or for hitting tricky gaps like if I'm in tree jail and I need to pitch out. I'll be throwing/flicking this more than putting, for sure.

I play in short, tight woods a lot so I'm always looking to boost that precision. I'm not worried about wind performance but I do like a fair amount of stability (easy to throw straight).

Bro D

the other option would be the Super Puppy...not as stable as the Rattler...slightly larger diameter

or perhaps the Whittler if you want to step out a little

I have a Super Puppy if you want it...my preference was the Rattler

Vote for the rattler, and the few times ive thrown a pirahna i liked it a lot, too bad they are OOP

Agreed 100%. I threw a friends 150 Piranha and immediately had to have one. Then I found out they were OOP and not cheap...so I grabbed a Rattler. Not the exact same flight (brand-new Rattler vs. beat-ass 150 Piranha), but does some amazing things.

I'm still getting used to it, but as mentioned before one of the best things for it is a short touch anny. Trying to get around some trees or something, drop off behind the basket...perfect. Float that puppy right up there for a solid run/easy tapper.

frickin rattler BroD!

it's (almost) like a mini ultrastar

I carry one
great for catch
touch shots

this! get one in 173-176g. plenty of glide in heavier weights. the rattler and i are 'on a break' right now but i know we'll be getting back together soon.

Hey BroD, you know that they make the HeroDisc 235 mold (SuperHero, SuperStar) in weights up to 190 something grams, right?