• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Bag Respect

It's weird, though. There are times, when I get looked at like I'm invading my home course because I'm carrying my mojo. I carry food and other stuff with me, because often times, there are waits on tees, and even if not, since I like to play by myself sometimes, I throw multiples if there's no one behind me. I just like to have my stuff with me. And not to mention the endurance practice. :)

Either way, I get looked at like a chump because I'm not carrying a 6 pack in my bag. I actually got made fun of for carrying powerade in my drink holders. :\

It goes both ways. And it reminds me every time that I can't wait for my home course to go pay to play. :(

That's WI for ya! :p Thinking about moving back soon, but the DG here is just too good. I'm sure eventually I'll be back.

Don't get much time off work sadly.

Back on topic: I'm actually going to get myself a Crunch to carry around when I either want to test out different discs, or am playing a short course, or am out helping my co-worker/friends. I'd love it if some rec level player with a tourney or grip bag was snarky to me so I'd be able to show him up with my Ion, Pro Shark, Champ SL combo no problem.

This goes both ways. I have a lot of chucker friends who think carrying a big bag is the dumbest/funniest thing ever. To them it's like bringing a whole set of clubs to play miniature golf.

I personally carry a small Fade bag and haven't noticed any particular reactions either way. My more casual friends call people carrying big bags 'Sherpas' and always groan when we're behind them because they take so long.

It seems that around here the bigger the person's bag is the longer it takes for them to throw a putt just to watch it miss...

i throw forehand also....and i have to have some loose-fitting shorts/pants with some room in the crotchal area....hahaha one of my good friends wears skinny jeans out to the course and the ridicule he receives from us forces him back to his car for a pair of basketball shorts...hahaha to each his own though....

So, I'm hiking in the mountains for a month. I carry 2 discs, play the occasional object course, practice putting at trees, teach disc golf to my students, using a disc as a cutting board, etc. My course ends within 5 miles of a disc golf course, we have a free day while base camping there and make the hike to finally play on real baskets again after a month without. I'm carrying a buzzz and a wizard, it took the first round to work the rust out.

Then we took a break spending our only $5 on a couple sodas. While enjoying 2 or 3 sugar laced caffeine pints, after a month without, fired me up for another round. While finishing my last Mountain Dew, dude shows up inquiring about disc golf, I respond "hey man I'll play a round with ya and show you the course, I played it once through this morning, just let me finish my soda" 10 minutes later, I walk out to see that he ditched me for 3 other guys with full tourney bags, I was hurt.

We played a few holes and caught up to them, and waited. Caught up to them on the next tee and got the cold shoulder. Couldn't tell you their exact thoughts, but I'm sure it was along the lines of "Heh, dude looks like he hasn't showered in weeks, wearing a torn, dirty, discraft shirt, carrying two discs, who the F does he think he is."

We catch up to them 2 more times before they finally offer to let us play through, craving the company of fellow disc golfers I offer up to join them if they'll have the company, after a hesitation, they agree. I proceed to tear it up (relatively anyway) and had a great time with the locals on their disc golf course. I love hearing the ins and outs from a course designer and people very involved in the local tiny club, and I love sharing my story with them, I like to think they enjoy hearing it.

And that's the saga of my journey into the realm of the two disc chucker.

I am guilty of this. When I was newer, I took players with larger bags more serious than guys playing with weekender bags. I still think guys with strollers are lame :p
Since I have started I have seen a 70 year old man with nothing but an old comet kick the crap out of a 26 year old with a new Grip bag FULL of discs.

If you are closer to 20 than 30 (or older) and have a huge bag, i assume you suck* and will take forever!
Two disc wonders are some of the fastest golfers on the course.

Fwiw, i find just as mauch respect with my rev deluxe mini as with my lat pro :|

*there is nothing wrong with sucking at dg imo.

I've got a buddy that brings only 2 discs a driver and a putter and usualy kicks every other person in our groups collective butts.

to the OP, since you said you were at at a collegiate event... im willing to bet most of the people there were still being supported by mommy and daddy.

they have no idea what it means to be without. so thats why they look down on those they deem below them.

I've got a buddy that brings only 2 discs a driver and a putter and usualy kicks every other person in our groups collective butts.

I got schooled by someone like that. The guy carried two fairly beat discs and a 40oz.

When you think about it, most courses can be played with just a few discs without affecting your score. I'm sure we've all stood on a tee and said, I wish I had X disc, but do you really need X or just want it.

2 discers (I think I posted this before) are the ones to follow if you are new to a course. You'd be suprised how well they can shape lines. They know all the good shots. I like having lots of discs, but lately I've been finding I pretty much just throw Krait, Mako, Ridge. I reach for other discs on occasions (I've got a Pro Destroyer that is a tommy machine) but now I'm starting to think there might be something to this whole minimalism thing...

I push a stroller loaded with two rugrats, wear a camelbak, and have the wife commentating on every missed drive/putt (in Thai) 4 or 5 times a week. I get the looks and some condescending comments from tourney bag guys around 20 when asking to play through- especially on league nights if they don't have one of the organizers or course regulars in the group.

Kind of annoying to see them try to race off the tee and still get caught, then imply that their group of 3 to 5 is faster than my playing solo. Not to mention, the wife and kids aren't fans of watching these uber-pros root through the rough.

The closer they are to 20 with tourney bags the douchier they tend to be.

I carry alot of other gear besides discs. Cliff bars, glucometer, and insulin being the most important of my other gear; but I also carry a first aid kit, golden retriever, water, sunflower seeds etc. even on my local pitch and putt that takes an hour to play I carry my Mojo. Lots of locals rip it up with 1-2 discs though.