• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Big Jerm ITB

To be honest, I love any ITB with a top level player showing and talking about molds they like throwing and why. Is it better if they actually use those discs and have done so long enough to be comfortable with them? Sure, but I'm just thankful someone took the trouble of filming their bag at one point in time. As an aside, I'd be just as interested to know each pro's 5-10 additional molds that they throw in field work and that almost made the bag.

In short, I don't mind if this ITB is already obsolete. I'm especially interested in pros that throw both forehand and backhand, so this and Sexton's are more interesting to me than Philo's. I just hope Innova does another for Koling in a year when he's more comfortable with their stuff.

From the Youtube comments:

Quote:
Jeremy Koling 6 hours ago
... and the Eagle-L has replaced the Mako3

Weird replacement... driver for mid

it really isn't if you throw the shot he's talking about. US fairways, especially speed 6 (talking to you PLS), are some of the best hyzerflip discs for FH.

i bet he'd like the shot more if he clubbed down to the 1.6 rim

Ok thats great... but how the hell did you get the link to bring you that point in the video and not start at the beginning?

From Youtube, click the Share button, then check the "start at" box.

For the guy who told me not to worry, and just throw my frisbees...Why don't you just copy and paste that into half the threads on DGCR as it can apply to nearly any question posed here? Aannnd that's about enough for me...later days.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 28
Eagle L is a great disc for FH hyzerflip. Makes sense as an addition to the bag, although weird as a "replacement" for something rated 2 speeds slower. (I will say that, personally, I find the Eagle L more comfortable in a FH grip than pretty much any mid.) If anything it seems like a good supplement to the Mako3; longer and little bit more shot-shapey. Fills the gap between the Mako3 and the Thunderbirds.

Last I heard, the Eagle L was OOP. Some on here have said that certain molds might just be for the purposes of shilling for Innova, but if that was the case I'd expect to see a Leopard3 instead. Hopefully Innova takes the hint and makes a production run of flat champ Eagle L's (tour series disc??)

I was surprised by what Big J said about the Colossus. Haven't thrown one, but per the numbers it seems like it should be a big S-curve bomber. So when he said he used it for tighter lines I was thinking "huh?" Sounds like Colossus is being replaced by Shryke, which has the same odd feeling if he's using it for those shots. Whatever works, I guess.

That's a gross oversimplification of the physics of surface texture. Sure, a textured surface CAN have less friction than a smooth surface, but it needs to be just the right amount of texture. It takes millions of r&d dollars to perfect things like "sharkskin" Olympic bathing suits. The Airline industry has been working on textured paints or surface treatments for decades, yet nothing has really made it out of the experimental phase because the physics are so complicated.

So you can continue to think your broken in discs have more glide because all those gouges I the rim create a sharkskin effect, I'll continue to attribute it to the lowered PLH.

Interesting discussion here. To add even more complication, I'll point out that "sharkskin" bathing suits are dealing with water which is relatively incompressible. It's an entirely different matter when looking at flight through a highly compressible substance like air.

I agree to some extent that beat discs' tendency to act more understable than when they were new contributes to more apparent glide. However, I'd offer an alternate/supplemental explanation to the PLH changing. Could be possible that surface wear and irregularities generate turbulent flow along more of the disc surface, rather than just the tailing edge. If that effect moves the net lift force back, then the disc will fly as if it were more nose down.

(Would be interested to hear the opinion of someone with more experience in aerodynamics; I'm just spitballing here.)

How Jerm can be an Innova pro from the Carolinas and not bag a Rhyno and Sidewinder is beyond me.

I agree to some extent that beat discs' tendency to act more understable than when they were new contributes to more apparent glide. However, I'd offer an alternate/supplemental explanation to the PLH changing. Could be possible that surface wear and irregularities generate turbulent flow along more of the disc surface, rather than just the tailing edge. If that effect moves the net lift force back, then the disc will fly as if it were more nose down.

(Would be interested to hear the opinion of someone with more experience in aerodynamics; I'm just spitballing here.)

Lower PLH is obvious and expected with drivers. I think something else has to be going on with slower mids and putters.

Eagle L is a great disc for FH hyzerflip. Makes sense as an addition to the bag, although weird as a "replacement" for something rated 2 speeds slower. (I will say that, personally, I find the Eagle L more comfortable in a FH grip than pretty much any mid.) If anything it seems like a good supplement to the Mako3; longer and little bit more shot-shapey. Fills the gap between the Mako3 and the Thunderbirds.

again, for the shot he is describing, it is not a weird replacement. part of the problem with this forum is everyone's belief in, and reliance on, stigmas relating to speed, power up/power down & disc type when selecting shots & slots in the bag.

a well seasoned eagle-l, and even better, a leopard or PLS, can do everything a fresh Mako3 can do FH. and more.

Some on here have said that certain molds might just be for the purposes of shilling for Innova, but if that was the case I'd expect to see a Leopard3 instead.

the Leopard3 is still early in its product life cycle. only a matter of time...

and furthermore, just because Innova is good at product marketing doesn't mean 'certain molds might just be for the purposes of shilling.' the Mako3 is a fantastic mold. they are marketing the s**t out of it. i would too if i were them.

I was surprised by what Big J said about the Colossus. Haven't thrown one, but per the numbers it seems like it should be a big S-curve bomber. So when he said he used it for tighter lines I was thinking "huh?" Sounds like Colossus is being replaced by Shryke, which has the same odd feeling if he's using it for those shots. Whatever works, I guess.

if you've never tossed a high speed neutral driver for a 400ft straight to fade tunnel shot in the woods on a hyzerflip, then this mentality makes sense.

for others, it is the perfect disc type for this shot. learn to hyzerfip.

How Jerm can be an Innova pro from the Carolinas and not bag a Rhyno and Sidewinder is beyond me.

I don't see either used in the Carolinas that much IME. More SWs than Rhynos for sure though.

if you've never tossed a high speed neutral driver for a 400ft straight to fade tunnel shot in the woods on a hyzerflip, then this mentality makes sense.

for others, it is the perfect disc type for this shot. learn to hyzerfip.

Can't say that I've hit a 400' tunnel shot, but I do hyzerflip quite a bit when it's called for. You even quoted me talking about the Eagle L as a good hyzerflip disc.

My comment is explicitly related to the Colossus' flight numbers: -2 turn and +3 fade. (Especially for a crispy new JL disc, which is what the Colossus in the video appeared to be.) To me that does not sound like a straight laser disc. Sure you can get it to flip up to straight--assuming you get it up to speed--but near the end of the flight it will fade out and skip.

Again, I haven't thrown a Colossus, and I'm certainly not trying to second guess Big Jerm. Just registering my surprise. I'm sure part of the discrepancy is that I'm not looking to throw anything in the mega-high speed classes, especially for finesse type shots.

Last edited:
Some on here have said that certain molds might just be for the purposes of shilling for Innova, but if that was the case I'd expect to see a Leopard3 instead. Hopefully Innova takes the hint and makes a production run of flat champ Eagle L's (tour series disc??)

In a recent CCDG video (Wintertime Open?), Paul McBeth said he was bagging a Leopard3. I dont' think he's doing it just to shill for Innova, though.

A new run of Eagle-Ls would be most very welcome.

Last but not least, my guess is that Big Jerm was trying the Colossus at the time of the video's making, but has since settled on the Shryke. As the Katy Perry video says, it's "no big deal".