• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Questions after "Fundamentals of"

If I follow, part of that doesn't surprise me as the disc leverages out of the hand as the last component of the chain of leverage (in the context of force vectors and moments of inertia). The size of that effect in DG backhand is likely multivariate like it is in golf (contributing to the late, clean spike in "smash factor" in that context), and much higher in pros than most amateur/advanced players. There are definitely interesting topics to talk about there.
Brychanus, not really analogous to "smash factor" as smash factor is just a math formula based on clubhead speed relative to ball speed. Most lower smash factors have to do with clubface variations (off-center, face open/closed, etc.) In disc golf, the "snap factor" is loosely based on the speed of the hand and the delay of the disc's COM from early rotation outside of the line of force. More spin is very beneficial as it relates to initial launch speed.

The problem with it is exactly the same issue as been this whole time we've all talked about it for years. We have a lot of "theory" and not much data to extrapolate from. We know the math to make the data, but there isn't any actual data to use the math on. So its all theory. I could make a video talking about it for a good 30 minutes explaining theory, kinetic chains, leverage. I can build examples to explain it and show many different devices that all use these methodologies to create speed.

These are all discussions that have been had in here multiple times.
But then again, this I rarely bother to even explain what I want or going to do, because someone else either just takes it and makes a video and gives 0 credit, or people pass it off really poorly not understanding or just assuming some other weird thing. Ugh.

This is a thing I try and use as a huge example from the disc golf swing and how your leveraging the club to basically snap the club through the swing. We dont wanna hold the club straight out and swoop it around. just like we dont wanna hold our arm out and swoop it around. its really inefficient. Were accelerating the club into a hit position for the club to snap through the ball, just as were doing in disc golf to the disc. The leverage point is far less.
But as well, we dont actually know how much were leveraging the disc, which is what Im more curious about.
Are we leveraging 30% on a backhand? 50% 80%?
How much on a forehand?

Things like this can help us understand spin implied based on the leverage.
Because we know that forehands fly different from backhands, which.. the only way I have ever been able to theorize that is how much we leverage the disc.
Sheep, I HAVE the data (from a big University backed mocap data session in March, but it is taking time to establish a new method and procedures for analyzing backhand throws (not used in any other sport except maybe tennis backhands). It is taking time, and I am trying but I have to also be patient because it is now part of a university project and not just one of my many pet projects which I fund.

Sheep, I HAVE the data (from a big University backed mocap data session in March, but it is taking time to establish a new method and procedures for analyzing backhand throws (not used in any other sport except maybe tennis backhands). It is taking time, and I am trying but I have to also be patient because it is now part of a university project and not just one of my many pet projects which I fund.
Thanks for the above and you have my sympathies for university timelines. Reaching out to you for more mechanics chatter.

I'm not quite sure I follow what your saying or referencing.

Blake either smoked crack or just never actually braced or understood it.
I was responding to Timothy's post about the different emphasis on teaching between DGR and DGCR.

I don't think he would disagree with legs being important but, rather, the higher percentage of power comes from power being transferred onto the disc via snap/acceleration through the hit with the disc pivoting from a firm grip.

I was responding to Timothy's post about the different emphasis on teaching between DGR and DGCR.

I don't think he would disagree with legs being important but, rather, the higher percentage of power comes from power being transferred onto the disc via snap/acceleration through the hit with the disc pivoting from a firm grip.
I think that's an accurate assessment of Blake T and my experience reading DGR. Now, is it true or not? That really is the question.....

Highest percentage of power to disc comes from horizontal abduction of upper arm.

Highest percentage of power to disc comes from horizontal abduction of upper arm.
I find that there's a lot of free power with getting the disc deep into the right pec position. I just have trouble figuring out how to generate more power using the rest of the body. So I can throw pretty effortless 250 range with putters, but with drivers only a little over 400.

I think this would correlate to what Blake was teaching, especially with the right-pec drill.

From the maxing out at 300' thread:
blake_t: these people will have a set of drills to get them to a certain baseline, which is a consistent 350-410' line drive power with modern technology.

the reason i am making this stipulation is because many of the recommendations given so far will work for someone throwing below 350', but are not really applicable to those who are throwing that far or farther.

i have had approximately a 1% success rate with teaching people how to truly "hit it." more like 4% if you consider "hitting some of it" (some of it = 430-450' with a wraith/destroyer).

for those chasing the brass ring, here's a few things:
-legs do less than you really want to believe they do. i have a feeling many people think that leg power is responsible for a large amount of throwing power. it is responsible for roughly 5-20%. you can meet someone with craptastic footwork/leg power that knows how to hit it and they'll be able to break 400' with a 1 step throw. huge run-ups, 360 turnarounds, etc. do add benefit, but it's not by a huge margin. however, if you are throwing in a distance contest, you want to use the technique that will milk out every potential bit of power. piss poor footwork can ruin a throw, but great footwork doesn't ensure a good throw.

-disc golf throwing is the one inch punch. to throw really far, you must throw really hard. knowing when/how to deliver force is the key of this. most players decelerate entering (and through) the power zone and the end result is a slip (even if it goes straight and decently far). hitting it requires acceleration through the power zone. for those unfamiliar with dv/dt, basically it means: as you get closer to the rip, your hand (and the disc) must be moving FASTER than it was at every point before that. you have a better chance of hitting it if you enter the power zone at 30mph and reach the rip at 40mph than you would if you entered the power zone at 60mph and reached the rip at 50mph. i developed the right pec drill to attempt to isolate the power zone while still using full body motions.

here's where things get tricky...

-there's a 2 stages of extension (in other sports these are similar to releasing the club head or releasing the barrel of the bat, but because joint release will get confused with disc release, i will call them extension). the abrupt stop of the elbow moving forward allows the forearm to extend (with whip-like inertia). at some point the forearm can no longer move forward and it rapidly changes direction from forwards to sideways... at this point the wrist extends (also with tons of inertia).

the difficulty in timing occurs because:
-the forearm/elbow must be relaxed at the beginning of the extension but should be firm/strong near the end of the extension.
-the wrist/hand must be relaxed at the beginning of the extension but should be firm/strong near the end of the extension (and subsequent release of the disc).

the reason you teach all the other crap outside of just this is because people need the coordination/skills to have all the other pieces in place in order to allow this to happen correctly. you can prevent these things from happening with poor body positions, but again, good body positions don't cause these things to happen, a better way of putting it is: good body positions ALLOW for the correct things to happen.

if you look at any/all of players who throw 450'+ line drives, they all have the same important things happening. i find it less useful to contrast differences than to look for similarities.

since a few players forms have been cited here, i will state this now:
there's only 3.5 styles of throwing out there, but players that hit it with any of those styles have all of the important factors in common. there will be hybrids between the styles, but overall they can be described within these terms (even a hybrid is just say "a mix of style A and style B").

the two primary styles (i'm making these terms up right now):
1. "American" technique.
2. "Swedish" technique.

the main difference between these two styles is the focus of the power base. american technique uses the kinetic biomechanics to generate its power, with the ideal being elbow extension. swedish technique uses much less elbow extension but tons of leverage on the outer edge of the disc.

Brad W.'s idea of throwing a stick/hammer vs. throwing a disc pretty much describes the primary determinant of swedish power. swedish power is based upon being able to lever the shiz out of the edge of the disc opposite the hand and find a way to translate the absurd amount of angular velocity/acceleration as the disc pivots out of the hand during wrist extension.

the current swedish technique derives heavily from Tomas Ekstrom's form.

american technique also uses leverage, but it is not dominated by leverage in the same way.
american technique can basically be broken down into 2 primary categories and one subcategory:
1. bent elbow (and derivations of it, probably most commonly found in carolina)
2. long reach back.
2a. folded shoulder rotation.
2b. spinal axis rotation.

2a. and 2b. both derive power in the same basic way, but the presentation of it differs slightly. however, most folded shoulder throwers are hyzer dominant and most spinal axis throwers are anhyzer dominant. in truth, pure hyzer mechanics use a folded shoulder and pure anhyzer mechanics use a spinal axis, what makes these two differ enough in styles to be noted is how they throw during a FLAT throw.

as for bent elbow vs. reach back, it's probably best compared to the differences in a wrist shot vs. a slap shot in hockey.

bent elbow throwing is efficient and it's easier to hit all of it. if you flub it, you flub it bad.
reach back throwing is less efficient but has greater power potential if you hit all/most of it. it's easier to flub it, but the diminished output during flubs depends on how bad you flubbed it.

the big thing is that long throwing bent elbow throwers and long throwing reach back throwers (as well as long throwing swedes) have more in common during the important parts of throw than they have differences.

the main differentiation between reach back throwers and bent elbow throwers (even those that use some reach back) is this:
-with a reach back throw the angle formed between the upper arm and the shoulder/chest collapses at the start of rotation and extends entering the power zone.
-with a bent elbow throw the angle formed between the upper arm and the shoulder/chest is constant at the start of rotation and doesn't extend until well into the power zone.

my point in writing all that?

what happens with the disc/arm during the final 12" of the throw is exactly the same for everyone throwing 500'.
In my PSA I still recommend people read the DGR stickies although I don't think they are stickies anymore since the dgcr website upgrade. I agree with a lot of what Blake is saying in there although 5% is way too low, and can be upwards of 30%. The main difference in what I teach is "the other crap" (posture/weightshift) that he didn't really teach IIRC. The Right Pec Drill never worked for me because I was putting myself into terrible positions shifting my weight incorrectly, breaking my tibia. Once I figured out the proper weightshift "from behind" I could finally do the RPD.

OOOOH its Chris Taylor. And you're running 2 accounts to make it extra confuse. Doh.

I honestly don't know if you're trying to study the same things I am. *shrugs*
So, bit hard for me to say who's a whatsit with a lot of things.

And it's an unfortunate side effect of university stuff and time.
Get access to the cool gadgets, but gotta suffer with it too.
Jeff Homburg has this issue as well in the conversation's we've had on what each of us want to invest our time in academically on this.

The biggest thing I can say is remember that while you have your questions, other people have their questions. And we spend a lot of time asking each other a lot of questions in here.

OOOOH its Chris Taylor. And you're running 2 accounts to make it extra confuse. Doh.

I honestly don't know if you're trying to study the same things I am. *shrugs*
So, bit hard for me to say who's a whatsit with a lot of things.

And it's an unfortunate side effect of university stuff and time.
Get access to the cool gadgets, but gotta suffer with it too.
Jeff Homburg has this issue as well in the conversation's we've had on what each of us want to invest our time in academically on this.

The biggest thing I can say is remember that while you have your questions, other people have their questions. And we spend a lot of time asking each other a lot of questions in here.
What are the pressing questions you would like answered? )PS I don't think I have 2 accounts but maybe)

What are the pressing questions you would like answered? )PS I don't think I have 2 accounts but maybe)

You posting with "CoachChris" and "coachT"

I'd probably try and delete the Coach T one, or people gonna think you slinkyshot. =)

My questions require data. I'll have to get it myself though, because I know you were not filming or studying any of what I'm going to shoot high speed of. I've spent 3 years now working on this off and on, and think I have some things figured out that require high speed. Which, is nice, cause I have a high speed camera.

You posting with "CoachChris" and "coachT"

I'd probably try and delete the Coach T one, or people gonna think you slinkyshot. =)

My questions require data. I'll have to get it myself though, because I know you were not filming or studying any of what I'm going to shoot high speed of. I've spent 3 years now working on this off and on, and think I have some things figured out that require high speed. Which, is nice, cause I have a high speed camera.
Thank you on notifying me about the 2 accounts and you are correct that I would not choose to be confused with the other. With your high speed project, if I can help, please feel to reach out.

Thank you on notifying me about the 2 accounts and you are correct that I would not choose to be confused with the other. With your high speed project, if I can help, please feel to reach out.
Come run the camera. hahahahaha.

I cant throw and press the button at the same time.

If you would ever like to talk or zoom about DG or life, or would like another pair of eyes on your research, email me (address on distracter response)

Latest posts