• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bigger Distance at High Altitude???

Where can you throw further?

• I can throw further at high altitude

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • I can throw further at low altitude

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • I didn't notice a difference

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters
I live in Colorado and have played in Kenai, Alaska. Did my discs go farther? Yes. It was noticeable, but it wasn't a huge increase. So, what's the point of this question anyway :confused:

On a trip to Denver last year I didn't notice any appreciable differences vs. the almost sea level Houston home turf.

This poll needs more votes. Anybody regularly play at different elevations?

My home course is at 738. When I go an hour away to a city at 3500' elevation My BH on level ground gets an easy 30-40' more off the tee no matter what disc I happen to be driving with. It seems very noticeable to me.

I've heard discs fly a lot more stable/overstable at higher altitudes...I'm not too sure on the distance part though.

Makes sense. Thinner air means less resistance on the disc making the disc more resistant to a high speed turn.

further at altitude?

home course is 6800' and have played higher and lower and can def get more d lower. Stability is noticeably decreased at lower elevation. @ 4200ft my boss was flying like a valk does at home. only further.

Okay, after reading this whole thread I am confused. When I go to north Carolina next week, I will be closer to see level so I should be getting more d?

Okay, after reading this whole thread I am confused. When I go to north Carolina next week, I will be closer to see level so I should be getting more d?

I don't think so personally but it seems that the jury is out. There may be an ideal elevation, as opposed to always higher or lower increases potential distance. That would explain the varying answers. I know for a fact that I throw further at 3300 than 700, but haven't done enough research to determine if I throw further at 3300 than 6000.

It has been along time since I threw down in NC, but if I remember correctly my distance was a little shorter. Cod have been though that I was still pretty new and it was in the dead of winter and I hadn't thrown in 3+ months...

The real question becomes can you make the putt at elivation?

While the HSS is higher I find the LSS lower as well with higher altitudes. That means a straighter shot and more D, for me at least.

home course is 6800' and have played higher and lower and can def get more d lower. Stability is noticeably decreased at lower elevation. @ 4200ft my boss was flying like a valk does at home. only further.

^^ this

Exactly what kind of altitude changes are we talking about? Almost everyone that plays here is higher than any elevation East of the Mississippi (highest mountain east is Mt Mitchell @6,684, I live at right near that altitude give or take 100'). I noticed massive change when I played near Dallas, more glide less stability Discs actually acted like they were advertised, instead of more overstable.. more air = more loft under your disc = more distance.. certainly offsets any kind thin air = less resistance you get. The air here is also very dry that thins it out even more, so I guess in theory if you could find something at 7000' with high humidity it might offset, good luck with that, maybe Oregon, Washington or California in the Cascades.

Thin air works well on things like golf balls, baseballs, footballs... notice the trend? Those don't rely on any kind of aerodynamic loft to keep them in the air. I played with chiefstang this weekend asked him if he'd gotten his D back, he hadn't. So when people Back East talk about altitude, we,that live at real altitude, just smile.

While the HSS is higher I find the LSS lower as well with higher altitudes. That means a straighter shot and more D, for me at least.

Just looked at your played list, where did you play at altitude? Don't mean to act like a troll, that's not my intention, I just didn't see anything that was very high..

I first started driving over 400' with my Star Beast when I was mgmt training in Broomfield Colorado. I got back to IL and was only driving it about 375'. Perhaps the extra stability due to the higher altitude mixed with the extra glide of understable discs is what gave me more distance. My 155 Champ Firebird was beefy enough to be my wind disc when I was lucky enough to be paid to live in CO.

When I quit the mgmt job and had enough time to golf again in IL I picked up SOLFs and was able to put them around 400' with some practice, but I haven't really gotten too much farther than that with any regularity. I often wonder how far I would bomb my current harem of beaten PDs in a higher altitude situation.

I haven't played at high altitude, but I think there is a greater difference in distance depending on humidity. I can throw a lot farther with the same discs in Odessa, TX than I can in Dallas. The altitude isn't that much different, but the "thickness" of the air is very different. I get my best distance in the desert.

It seems to me that a disc that gets a lot of glide like a River or Leopard would fly a long way in dry mountain air.

I haven't played at high altitude, but I think there is a greater difference in distance depending on humidity. I can throw a lot farther with the same discs in Odessa, TX than I can in Dallas. The altitude isn't that much different, but the "thickness" of the air is very different. I get my best distance in the desert.

It seems to me that a disc that gets a lot of glide like a River or Leopard would fly a long way in dry mountain air.

This makes perfect sense. When the world distance record was broken, it was broken 4 or 5 times on the same day out in the desert

air density really does matter. I know humidity and cold matters. I am throwing about 30ft shorter right now because of the temperature drop in Austin. When I went to play collegiates in april there was almost no humidity in augusta(compared to central/south texas). The sweat was minimal, where in texas I would be drenched in 3-4 holes. The discs had a different flight. The distance gain wasn't huge but it was there, maybe 15-30 ft. that was with a crappy right to left wind. I am sure that with a left to right I would have been over 600ft.

Just looked at your played list, where did you play at altitude? Don't mean to act like a troll, that's not my intention, I just didn't see anything that was very high..

I think my highest played regularly is Fountain Hills AZ @ about 1,800 feet. I did throw my discs around a bit at Philmont scout camp, and I believe base camp was around 6,500 feet while Black Mountain base camp was around 9,000 feet.