• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Nuisance

Biggest Nuisance?

• POISON

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • THORNS

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • SHULE

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • DISC EATING EVERGREENS

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • SOGGY FOOTING

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • ROCKY FOOTING

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • BAD TEES

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • BAD BASKETS

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • GRAFFITI

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • HIGH GRASS

Votes: 32 22.7%

• Total voters
Concrete tee boxes that are aimed in the wrong direction.
Or tee boxes that don't seem to give any indication of which direction you're supposed to throw, as in North or South. Even signs don't seem to help sometimes because they're positioned sideways and the hole map has deteriorated. I can't count how many times I've thrown a hole only to find out upon getting to the supposed basket that the number on the nickel didn't match and I was supposed to go the other way.

I chose High grass, it makes for holdups while looking for discs, even if the throw wasn't absolutely horrible. In wet conditions it just makes everything wet. Tall grass also houses ticks and other unneeded bugs.

Thorns would have been next, but after working in a nursery moving roses and barberries on a regular basis, thorns don't bother me as much.

I can't stand playing in tall grass so I voted for that. I also try to stay far away from poison ivy as well and it almost got my vote.

I voted disc eating evergreens which probably does not mean Honeysuckle... but it was the closest I saw.

I Hate Honeysuckle

Or tee boxes that don't seem to give any indication of which direction you're supposed to throw, as in North or South. Even signs don't seem to help sometimes because they're positioned sideways and the hole map has deteriorated. I can't count how many times I've thrown a hole only to find out upon getting to the supposed basket that the number on the nickel didn't match and I was supposed to go the other way.

I second tee boxes in the wrong direction. It ruins a great course near me.

Not always a mistake - sometimes a course is reconfigured (for whatever reason) and it's just too d@mn hard to dig them concrete slabs out of the ground. Oak Grove in Pasadena is a prime example of this, although the original tees there are six-sided and can be used pretty much in any direction.

Hexagonal tee boxes? Nice. :)

The hardship of digging up concrete slabs is a strong argument, in my opinion, against installing concrete on your tees. When done right, they're my favorite surface to throw from, but when done wrong, or when they have problems, it can ruin the experience of an otherwise great course.

I can handle most of the conditions listed (im am out in the 'outdoors' after all, I expect bugs, trees, uneven ground etc) but my #1 peeve from that list would be bad baskets. That 1 thing will ruin a round/course for me. Bad baskets (single layer chains, poorly identified baskets, dented or banged up ones etc) have cost me a dead center chain ace bid and far too many strokes too count.

Put a decent basket just about anywhere and I'll have fun trying to get my disc into it. Have a ****ty basket that costs me my few and far between glory shots and I'm out lol.

Long tall grass - SO annoying to be playing along smoothly then have to stop for 10 mins to look for a disc that you know went dead straight.

Seems that long high grass is amongst the biggest annoyances. What is interesting is how often this is used as an intentional design element in a course to create a hazzard. A true design error that often could be avoided IMO. All of the other choices are not intentional but the biggest con according to this site is often intentional. Ironically Odd. Would be akin to putting a bees nest on a basket, planting thorns along a fairway, releasing snakes on a course, placing a sprinkler system on the dirt tee pads, Fire ants on the benches, and inviting the the homeless bums for a cookout on basket 18. Why would anyone intentionally use high grass as a design element.

Sometimes it's caused by a change in the ability of the park to mow/maintain large open areas. Brandywine is a perfect example. Years ago, the area was mostly mowed, these days there are 40-60' swaths cut out of waist high grass - makes it pretty tough sometimes.
I voted for bad tees - if I had extra choices, I'd say tall grass, and thorns are next on the list.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's caused by a change in the ability of the park to mow/maintain large open areas. Brandywine is a perfect example. Years ago, the area was mostly mowed, these days there are 40-60' swaths cut out of waist high grass - makes it pretty tough sometimes.
I voted for bad tees - if I had extra choices, I'd say tall grass, and thorns are next on the list.

this is what I am talking about when I talk about tall grass. This is a picture uploaded by Donovan from the Oakland Mills course. They mow paths in the tall grass on purpose. It looks nice, but it is extremely annoying. Now this isn't the worst one, but it is a good example.

575a47f1.jpg

why is tall grass a design error?...golf has bunkers...think of it as a bunker...avoid it...

For myself, I generally think of bushes/thick brush as being like bunkers - they interfere with the progress of an incoming shot, and make the next shot significantly more challenging, both of the aspects of bunkers in ball golf. Nine times out of ten, tall grass impedes incoming shots only minimally, and interferes with the next shot almost not at all. Accordingly, I've always thought of tall grass as an annoyance with limited redeeming challenge value, and born largely of cost avoidance, not as a design aspect.

Or maybe it's just that the piles of discs (and, accordingly, money) I lost to long grass when first starting out have biased me a bit. ;)

Just my $0.02,

BLM

I voted long grass, hate looking for discs that land just off the fairway, but are impossible to find in the long grass. Discs are especially hard to find when they slide under just mowed grass laying on top of the long grass. If I had another vote, I'd say soggy footing, but only when its in the middle of a fairway where I don't expect it, then I proceed to walk through it and soak my shoes and socks.

This weekend i played a place that had "mowed fairways" and deep long rough - was the first course like that i've played - i think due to the rain we've gotten the grass in the fairways had some length to it. I liked having the deep rough- it made you have to think about drives more than just letting it rip. However there were a few times when my disc landed in the fairway and i had to just pace around for 10 mins looking for it. Definitely the most frustrating thing - and then i start getting mad at myself that i didnt do a good enough job watching it. I havent encountered anything that annoying. As far as physical course annoyances go - that's gotta be the worst. Lots of stuff mentioned is stuff you'll encounter on a course but is stuff you try to avoid and usually not in the dead center of a fairway.

I voted long grass, because my no.1 annoyance on the course is TICKS, and long grass is where folks tend to pick up the most ticks, at least in my experience. Long grass is also the most frustrating place to look for discs... and you never know what bugs/snakes/etc... may be hiding in the grass.

Latest posts