• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Ace: Who has one.

Yeah I'd posted this on Reddit too. Iron hill white layout (short tees long baskets). Hole 2 there's a gap you have to make early and I missed big left. It's very wooded, and I never saw the basket, just all of a sudden it was in. So right hole, wrong basket. Call it a grey ace.

Attachments

• IMG_20180714_092650.jpg
    IMG_20180714_092650.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 26
My only ace is a black ace. It was still cool to smash chains off the tee.

I have a black ace and a real ace in the same round at Sipapu. I also have what I guess you'd consider a black ace where I missed the mando but aced the basket.

First time I EVER threw a Wraith (i.e. over a decade ago) I was just trying to huck it out into an open field to see how it flew. Instead, it flipped on me and snuck between the trees and smashed chains on Hole 1 of Wakanda Park (Menomonie, WI). I was flabbergasted. Never managed to intentionally re-create that throw during a round.

Yeah I'd posted this on Reddit too. Iron hill white layout (short tees long baskets). Hole 2 there's a gap you have to make early and I missed big left. It's very wooded, and I never saw the basket, just all of a sudden it was in. So right hole, wrong basket. Call it a grey ace.

I believe that's what we call them in N.E.; wrong hole ace = black, right hole but wrong basket ace = gray. I think....

My buddy 47YearOldSlinger had a grey ace at Valley Springs DGC in Durham. He was so disgusted with his throw he turned and walked back towards the bench while our other buddy and i kept leaning farther to the left to watch that glorious grey ace go in. LOL. I think it was his first ace. Love you CB.

I believe that's what we call them in N.E.; wrong hole ace = black, right hole but wrong basket ace = gray. I think....
I think Dan Doyle and I may have coined the "gray ace" term in the 90s when I was visiting Warwick to discuss his evolving two tee/two basket design there.

Not sure you'd call this an ace at all, but I was throwing hole 11 at Lincoln Ridge and wound up coming to rest in 10 Upper's trash can. Took me a half hour to finally check the can. Forces loved to hide on me. One wound up hiding in a hole on old hole 12 at Idlewild no more than 50' off the tee.

Not sure you'd call this an ace at all, but I was throwing hole 11 at Lincoln Ridge and wound up coming to rest in 10 Upper's trash can. Took me a half hour to finally check the can. Forces loved to hide on me. One wound up hiding in a hole on old hole 12 at Idlewild no more than 50' off the tee.
Brown ace. Term also used when throwing or accidentally dropping disc into Port-o-John. ;)

All this talk of grey aces made me remember one from last year, I believe it was on Memorial Day.

Some buddies & I were on a ND/SD/WY road trip, and that morning we played the Spearfish Canyon course**. Hole 27 is pretty short and STEEP downhill. Lefty friend throws a thumber that took a big skip off the intended green, and continued another 40-50' downhill...right into the long basket! It was kind of lurking in the shade; nobody had even realized there was another target back there until we heard the chains.

**Highly recommend checking this course out. Super fun.

Not sure you'd call this an ace at all, but I was throwing hole 11 at Lincoln Ridge and wound up coming to rest in 10 Upper's trash can. Took me a half hour to finally check the can.

I'm picturing this shot, and it's glorious. RHBH hyzer over the trees on the left?

I'm picturing this shot, and it's glorious. RHBH hyzer over the trees on the left?

LHFH around the trees. That consistent R -> L wind caught it and pushed it further left. It took me a long time to learn to work with that wind, but I've started throwing BH so it helps me now.

Almost got 2 grey aces in the same round this weekend at Wilderness Campground.
Holes 4 and 16, Played the short tee to long basket, hit the upper band on 4's basket and the basket on 16. Both were with one of my many 8x Roc.

Where the heck did the term black and brown ace come from? What does color have to do with it?

Just thinking that "one throw from a tee into a basket" is an 'ace', but in the case of a wrong basket it's sort of a "black eye ace" - thus "black". And since black was already taken (for wrong hole ace) they had to come up with another color for wrong basket but same hole ace (since I'd bet the first 'black ace' occurred before there were courses with two baskets on a hole.

Where the heck did the term black and brown ace come from? What does color have to do with it?

"Brown Ace" makes complete sense. If you throw your disc into a garbage can (or worse, a toilet) it's going to be nasty. Like "get the pressure washer" nasty.

Don't know so much about the other one.

Sadly I have hit a black ace. Front course at La Mirada. Hole 2. And proceeded to hit the hole 9 basket and stick it. Only ace I've ever got too. Luckily for me none of my friends were there to see it.

Plymouth Creek - Hole 8 long tee into 7's basket. There are a lot of trees turning 8's initial fairway into a tight tunnel shot, it is very common to kick off trees, but there are a lot of trees that separate 7 and 8. 7's basket is about 100 feet off 8's tee, about 45 degrees to the left. Still, I found the perfect angle off the tree to kick right at the basket. The best part, the second half of our big group was still putting on 7. What a surprise.