• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Blizzard Boss Equivalent or better?

AWine44

I got some money to spend at the local DG shop. I haven't bought anything in about 2 years. I'm looking to get a few distance Drivers. The last 5 years I've liked ESP Nukes and Blizzard Boss the best. (yes, I like the Blizzard plastic). I've lost 2 of my 3 blizz Boss in the last year. So I want to get more of those...BUT I figured I should see if anyone has any suggestions for something similar/better then that. I'm very unfamiliar with Prodigy, Discmania, Legacy, DD etc. Any tips or suggestions would be great. thanks!

Also if anyone is interested I'm looking to get rid of a very slightly used TI Nuke and a Z Crush (sorry not the appropriate thread).

Last edited:
You didn't say how far you throw your Blizzard Boss, but working on the hypothesis that you can get it out there... I'd suggest a look at the MVP Photon. Other than that, the Boss is indeed 'da Boss'.

Blizzard Bosses are so all over the map in terms of stability that it's hard to know what you are looking for. How far are you throwing your blizzard Bosses and what weight are they? Also, are your blizzard Bosses flippy at the range you're throwing them or are they stable to overstable?

I had one good Blizzard Boss back in the day (bubbles in the flight plate, pop top, one of the first runs). It was stable to overstable and I could flex it and get good distance (first disc I threw over 400 feet). After it started getting beat up and flippy, I tried to replace it only to find all the later runs I tried were super flippy (bubbles in the wing, flatter, low PLH). However, knowing the consistency of high speed driver production, I'm sure there are still some blizzard Bosses being run that are stable to overstable with higher PLH than the ones I've tried, but I think they're hard to find. If your current Blizzard Bosses are some of the first runs like my early one with bubbles in the flight plate, you may have a hard time finding any Blizzard discs from more recent runs that fly quite the same.

Anyway, I'm currently using Sirius Scorpius's and I love them so you might try one of those in a lighter weight. I have one Zero G Scorpius (millennium's version of Blizzard) that I user for rollers because it's significantly less stable than the Sirius version. If your Blizzard Bosses are somewhat flippy, a Zero G Scorpius might be a great disc to try.

I'd give a Z-Lite Nuke a try, they didn't come out with as much fanfare as the blizzards but I think the Z-Lite was more consistent to their heavier counterparts.

Mvp Fission is a very nice plastic. Available in the Photon and Volt currently.

Blizzard Bosses are so all over the map in terms of stability that it's hard to know what you are looking for. How far are you throwing your blizzard Bosses and what weight are they? Also, are your blizzard Bosses flippy at the range you're throwing them or are they stable to overstable?

I had one good Blizzard Boss back in the day (bubbles in the flight plate, pop top, one of the first runs). It was stable to overstable and I could flex it and get good distance (first disc I threw over 400 feet). After it started getting beat up and flippy, I tried to replace it only to find all the later runs I tried were super flippy (bubbles in the wing, flatter, low PLH). However, knowing the consistency of high speed driver production, I'm sure there are still some blizzard Bosses being run that are stable to overstable with higher PLH than the ones I've tried, but I think they're hard to find. If your current Blizzard Bosses are some of the first runs like my early one with bubbles in the flight plate, you may have a hard time finding any Blizzard discs from more recent runs that fly quite the same.

Anyway, I'm currently using Sirius Scorpius's and I love them so you might try one of those in a lighter weight. I have one Zero G Scorpius (millennium's version of Blizzard) that I user for rollers because it's significantly less stable than the Sirius version. If your Blizzard Bosses are somewhat flippy, a Zero G Scorpius might be a great disc to try.

The 2 that I have lost we're both 140 weight. They a nice stablity. i could throw them hyzer and stay on a line or throw than Anny and have them S. The other one I have is very understanble. I can throw a flip hyzer with it on occasion. I believe that was is a 150. All 3 at various stages I could throw 400 (basically my max as well). I'll look into the ZGS. Thanks!

Zero G Quasar would be a more direct replacement for the Blizzard Boss. They might be just about the same disc. Scorpius is closer to a Destroyer.

It can be tough at times to stomach base plastics but... I will say DX Boss. Metric **** ton of glide. I've thrown R-Pro, Star, Champ, Blizz, but DX has my favorite flight of all plastics. Only DX disc I carry. They have the gentler fade and high speed turn like Blizz.

Having mostly triology in my golf bag I have replaced my boss with a King.

That being said the blizzard bosses are still holding their own in my all out distance bag. The king goes forever but I suspect out in the field with good distance weather the lighter wieght bosses would probably still fly further.

I haven't had the urge(or the extra $) to pull the trigger on the nuke lights but I suspect they might be able to compete with the blizzard boss.

Someone really needs to do a shoot out on the air plastics. The blizzard boss still appears to be the best all out distance disc to benchmark against.

Are their others?

Someone really needs to do a shoot out on the air plastics. The blizzard boss still appears to be the best all out distance disc to benchmark against.

Eh ... Simon set the record with it because Innova sells the most discs, so he'd get more $$$ from discs with his name on them being sold.

Zero G Quasar would be my suggestion. Molded by Innova, and very very close to the Boss mold (might even be the boss mold).

Eh ... Simon set the record with it because Innova sells the most discs, so he'd get more $$$ from discs with his name on them being sold.

Oh, that's not fair. Simon set the record with it because he happened to throw that disc further than anyone else threw any other disc.

Dr. Smooth had a good idea: a shootout with the different "air" plastics. I can only say that I've tried Blizzard Champion and Starlite from Innova, and Blizzard Champion seems to provide more consistent discs in the lighter weights. My Starlite Valkyrie and Starlite Boss are inconsistent and I generally leave them in the box at home.

It is true that Simon was throwing a Blizzard Bosses because they sell a lot of them and IF he set a world record with the disc, his royalties would be higher. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Blizzard Boss isn't also an absolute bomber in distance record competitions. David Wiggin's record before Simon's was also set with a Blizzard Boss. Also, setting a world distance record is never guaranteed for any person with any disc because it depends on a perfect throw with a strong prevailing wind to carry it just right. I wouldn't personally decide whether a Blizzard Boss or any other distance driver is the right one for you just because it was used to set a world distance record. Sandstrom threw a DX Valkyrie 820 feet as well after all, but I don't hear arguments about how that should be everyone's Max D driver. :)

David Feldberg replaced his bosses with worlds. I don't know if he ever used blizzards though.

I am throwing Lat 64 Opto AIR Havocs in 155-156 gm. The 3 I have are very consistent. Also, Big distance for me in anything but a head wind. Actually does okay in a MILD head wind for flex shots. Reliable fade, good distance. IMO...

I also meant to say, same flight ratings as a BOSS with the Havoc, if that's what you are looking for. 13/5/-1/3

The Blizzard boss that I have thrown was very flippy. Basically a useless disc unless you max out at 300ft. It had no bubbles in the flight plate, and a ton in the rim. This is obviously a huge problem, as reducing the weight of the rim reduces stability as well. The disc basically behaves like a modern fighter jet in that it's inherently unstable by design. I would recommend against buying innova bubble plastic, at least if there are no bubbles in the flight plate. YMMV

The Discraft Z light plastic should produce more consistent discs.

Latest posts