• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bloomberg gets it wrong

Yep. I suspect more disc golfers read this article than have read anything in Bloomberg this year.

sounds like a clickbait article and she gets paid off of number of people who view her "article" ... and it seems to have worked well for her

Over 7000 new PDGA memberships in the last year.....any body got a crash cart our game must be expiring.

Jai Alai was… _replaced by horse racing_? In the 1980's? Clearly this person has zero familiarity with horse racing. Even missing out on the spate of horse racing films in recent years…

Surely this isn't really Business Week? Just some outsources, online-only thing?

Unless he had a talk with the author of this article and agreed to have his picture used, they are breaking the law by using a picture of him. I would get in touch with him and see if he can contact Business Weekly to demand the article be either changed or get some sort of compensation.

The photo was taken for a local paper years ago, and he consented then. The paper is the one who owns the rights to it, and considering this Bloomberg site credited the paper, I don't think they have an issue.

I played Jai Alaai once. I've never played a sport or game where I was more fearful of my life, and I've ridden bulls.

Those balls are small, hard and fast. With minimal padding. Blast me all you want, but Jai Alaai is a truly "extreme" sport.

Caveat: for those of you weren't around in the late 80s and early 90s, disc golf actually used to have a very sizeable spectator base, even getting on Wide World of Sports and ESPN. It gradually died off, but as it did, the actual PLAYERS base increased dramatically, particularly within the last 8-10 years. It stands to reason that is the impetus behind big event payouts staying stagnant or in some cases getting worse even as many more players come into both the game and sport side (i.e. recreational and competitive side) of disc golf.

I've debated this topic many times here and elsewhere, but I've come to the conclusion that disc golf is a truly unique activity, and we shouldn't push to grow the "sport" as it likely won't happen without a total overhaul of competitive events both sanctioned and non. I can reasonably assume that none of us got into disc golf with the care of what other people thought, anyway.

The fact that people in our little community get upset about this kind of thing is very telling regarding our status as a legitimate "sport".

Thank you. I came here to say this exact thing.

Why can't it be enough that we know disc golf exists and we enjoy it? Why do we need so much validation all the time? I honestly wonder if this attitude - not the pot smokers or lack of ESPN coverage or whatever - is really what is "holding the sport back."

If we're really going to get this riled up, then start ragging on "journalism" on a message board, maybe we need to lighten up a bit. No need to be defensive, just go out and be confident that you're having a good time.

Future potential sponsors might read or refer to this article as an indication that what we say about the sport growing isn't true.

Are those the sponsors we really want, then? If we're deriding this writer for not doing any research on the sport, then perhaps we should do the same to these potential sponsors.

Sponsors need very little ammunition to say 'no' but we need much for them to say 'yes'.

Why can't it be enough that we know disc golf exists and we enjoy it? Why do we need so much validation all the time? I honestly wonder if this attitude - not the pot smokers or lack of ESPN coverage or whatever - is really what is "holding the sport back."

If we're really going to get this riled up, then start ragging on "journalism" on a message board, maybe we need to lighten up a bit. No need to be defensive, just go out and be confident that you're having a good time.

Why can't it be enough just for us to know the sport exists? I don't know, maybe because some of us derive our living from the game, and its growth means personal growth. While for a lot of people, it's just a pasttime that can come or go without affecting much, there are plenty of people personally invested in the future of the game and its growth.

On the other hand, the more we get worked up over this "article", and the more we share it and click on it, the more likely we give them reason to write another that gets a bunch of disc golf enthusiasts hot and bothered and sharing, clicking and commenting. The thing is click-bait. The better action would be to ignore it entirely.

I was cracking up at how all of the responses to the article seemed to be in defense of Disc Golf.

Yeah, where are all the tug-of-warriors and jai alai players posting to defend their sport. ;)

Why can't it be enough just for us to know the sport exists? I don't know, maybe because some of us derive our living from the game, and its growth means personal growth. While for a lot of people, it's just a pasttime that can come or go without affecting much, there are plenty of people personally invested in the future of the game and its growth.

On the other hand, the more we get worked up over this "article", and the more we share it and click on it, the more likely we give them reason to write another that gets a bunch of disc golf enthusiasts hot and bothered and sharing, clicking and commenting. The thing is click-bait. The better action would be to ignore it entirely.

But if you've given your life to the game, then you're already - presumably - confident in what it is and what it can/will be. Something like this should be a blip on the radar screen compared to a full-on maelstrom. I understand defending it to a degree, but this isn't the New York Times or Sports Illustrated here.

I am in 100% agreement that this is just click bait. I saw inbounds tweeting that we should let the editor know disc golf exists, and I find that laughable. Just leave it alone and it'll go away. Keep clicking and it stays at the top of the list. Pretty simple equation.

Onemilemore spitting tons of truth again. Well said. I don't get why.people want this huge growth anyway.

It doesn't bother me, but I am a bit bemused. Where do you reckon she got her information? I mean, you'd have to spend a lot of effort to find a source for that stuff. Well, before today, at least.

Latest posts