• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Bomber to complement Destroyers

auzcar

Birdie Member
I keep losing my beat in Destroyers and I now own only fresh ones. I'm looking for an off the shelf bomber that I can hyzer flip and get a nice S flight out of. The closest I've found is the Neo Enigma but that and the Term is basically the only two I've tried. For reference I throw my Destroyers 450 on a slight flex. I prefer a 12 speed but 11 or 13 is fine as well.

I've been eyeballing these a bit:
Emperor
Pharaoh
Scorpius
Falcon

Any suggestions?

The Pharaoh is very good in that slot, I like the Enigma as well.

If you don't mind a wider rim the Giant is an often overlooked bomber as well.

Lot of options here. The "beat Destroyer" slot is one many discs seem to be built to fill. Enigmas are good, but they get beat fast and become too flippy.

You could go with a heavy star or champion Katana. Little faster and longer than a Destroyer, but it has enough fade to not get too erratic. You could also try a Corvette. Pharaoh and Emperor would both work as well.

Another viable option is the Ballista Pro. Those start out as stable as a Destroyer, but quickly beat in and turn a little more.

I would say Shryke, but that's probably too understable for what you're looking for.

The Pharaoh is very good in that slot, I like the Enigma as well.

If you don't mind a wider rim the Giant is an often overlooked bomber as well.

I'm surprised the Giant is never mentioned anywhere. Great, underrated driver. It does fly like a slightly beat Destroyer, and can handle big rips with ease.

I'd say the same thing about the Octane.

For fast, flippy, bombing high speed drivers, my top 3 recommendations:
I-Blend Emperor
I-Blend Emperor
I-Blend Emperor

On sale now at Infinite for $ 10.99, and they are often on sale for $ 10.99.

Agree on Pharaohs and Emperors. I prefer throwing mellow Pharoahs for forward-penetrating and controllable hyzerflips. They are my "golf distance" 400'ers. There is definitely meaningful run-to-run variability but the best ones are outstanding (I have fished around among I-blend plastics and it's hit or miss for my sweet spot but was worth it to land on them). The stiffer plastics and differences in dominess might do well for you closer to 450' since some of them definitely like to fight back but still love to soar.

Emperors tend to be a bit much for me for pure distance but a G-blend or I-blend goes in the bag when I still want some flip and more bite back than my Pharaoh.

I like Shrykes...the issue might be that they come anywhere from super flippy to Destroyer-ish (for me that's a good thing, because I can cover a range of slots with 1 mold). I also really like the new Charger.

Mayhems fill that slot for me. Thrown 450' on level ground they'll have a little turn then a healthy fade. Good for shaping different lines.

Halo Shryke, Champion Shryke, and/or Luster Champion Shryke may all be worth a shot. Champion ones reflect a -1 turn on the flight numbers down from the -2. I have a feeling Star Shyrkes will be too understable for you.

I haven't tried the Millennium Falcon but I've seen it described as between the Shryke and the Destroyer in terms of stability.

Echo Star Destroyers! A nice turn fresh out of the box but still has some of the signature Destroyer fade. The current run has been great—neutral dome, lots of glide.

Mayhems fill that slot for me. Thrown 450' on level ground they'll have a little turn then a healthy fade. Good for shaping different lines.

I forgot to mention the Mayhem in my post, but it's a good choice. Pretty consistent from disc to disc, and will definitely deliver "beat Destroyer" performance.

If you're looking for a seasoned Destroyer off the shelf, I agree Emperors are a good choice. They tend to have more turn when new than Destroyers. (I believe they're made from an old Destroyer mold. And if not, I can't tell really the difference). I bag Destroyers and Emperors and actually use a seasoned S-blend Emperor for the exact hyzer-flip to S-flight shot you described. You'll want to try different plastics, though. Some S-blends aren't that different than Destroyers, while I-blends and G-blends might be a bit too flippy for what you're looking for.

However, if you want a true bomber compliment to a Destroyer (not necessarily a seasoned Destroyer) I'll add my support to a Corvette or (Halo) Shrkye. They absolutely bomb off the shelf, with a lot more turn and glide than Destroyers/Emperors. You'll want to be careful with the plastic for those too, though.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! This gives me a nice list to tick off! I think I will start with these as they tickle my interest the most:

I Emperor
S Pharaoh
Charger (wasn't aware this existed)
Either the Mayhem or the Octane, got to look into them some more, I love me some gyro though

+1 for the Enigma. What doesn't the Enigma do for you?

The one I had flew a very tight line, almost FW like, and worked really well in tunnels. I'd like something with a bit more exaggerated S-flight though. I still plan on getting a new one as comparison though since I know it works well enough for this slot.

Latest posts