• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boy Scout designed courses

Be a resource and mentor

I have been asked twice in one day (last Friday) to work with a Boy Scout on a Disc Golf course project. In both cases I know the scout's dad through my work and both of the dads were helping their sons find something for their Eagle Scout project.

I agreed to help and in both cases even offered to sponsor one of the holes being that fund raising is a big part for these type projects.

So here's the question...how envolved should I get? My biggest worry is a design that isn't very good but I also don't want to over step or discourage the scout.

I have done four different courses that were in part or whole an "Eagle Scout" project. As other people have listed above, they are mainly to be managers of a process which is meant to benefit and improve their community. Using you as a resource to ensure the safe and fun design of the course is totally within the scope and rules of these types of projects. You can certainly mentor him on the proper way to design and install a course, but in NO WAY should he be turned loose on the design unless he is an experienced disc golfer who has already been exposed to the course design process.:hfive:

but in NO WAY should he be turned loose on the design unless he is an experienced disc golfer who has already been exposed to the course design process.:hfive:

I think even if he DOES have exposure, I wouldn't want a 17 year old or younger designing a course. Building a disc golf course is a HUGE undertaking for an eagle scout project. I would see it more helpful to have the scout organize a project that benefits a course that is already planned, and being installed by the local club. Like, taking care of concrete tees, or building a picnic shelter, or retaining walls....something that will aesthetically improve the course.

Last edited:
All Scouts and Projects are different

I agree that most Scouts working on an Eagle Project are not able to handle the entire scope of putting in a disc golf course. It is a huge project that is a monumental task for a 17 yr old, or any person. Doing club approved and co-opted projects like tee-pads, signs, benches and trash cans, etc. to improve a course is a great way to use Eagle Projects, and they are within the abilities of most Scouts. But if Stevie Rico had wanted to be the lead designer of a course when he was 17, I'd have let him!:hfive:

I think even if he DOES have exposure, I wouldn't want a 17 year old or younger designing a course. Building a disc golf course is a HUGE undertaking for an eagle scout project. I would see it more helpful to have the scout organize a project that benefits a course that is already planned, and being installed by the local club. Like, taking care of concrete tees, or building a picnic shelter, or retaining walls....something that will aesthetically improve the course.

Great post. There are three star courses that could become four stars with upgraded teepads, signs, benches, widened fairways, etc.

Heck, there are unplayable one-two star courses that could become four stars with a major facelift.

That would be a huge service to a local community.

I just finished helping design a course with a boy scout in Baton Rouge on church property. We played on the property for months using poles and stakes and tweaked as we went along. I think we made the best use of the property that we could. Lay the course out with the scout and play it several times and listen to his feedback and get other disk golfers to come play it and give their opinion.

How can we help before they put it in?

Murrieta, Ca- We have one BS designed course and one more on the way. Neither presents much of a challenge other than the fact that they are sandwiched around other park amenities that preclude use of the disc park when in use. I have contacted the city for planning info but they won't provide future info (nor would they let me know they had just greenlighted the 2nd disc golf course with no real golf knowledge).

I was a scout and understand the need for the badges, but our city seems to just let the kids run the disc golf planning and refuse to hear from the people that drive to another city than use the poor courses they sponser.

How can we stop this trend w/o looking like pompous asses?

Murrieta, Ca- We have one BS designed course and one more on the way. Neither presents much of a challenge other than the fact that they are sandwiched around other park amenities that preclude use of the disc park when in use. I have contacted the city for planning info but they won't provide future info (nor would they let me know they had just greenlighted the 2nd disc golf course with no real golf knowledge).

I was a scout and understand the need for the badges, but our city seems to just let the kids run the disc golf planning and refuse to hear from the people that drive to another city than use the poor courses they sponser.

All you can do is offer information - to the scout and to the city. If they don't accept it, build a course wherever you are driving from.

I can assure you the second scout project in Murietta was well planned. Tanner Nash is the scout in charge of the Rancho Acacias Park Disc Golf Course. Tanner has already put in close to 300 hours on this project and has gone above and beyond expectations.

Tanner had an experienced local player to help with the initial design. The design was reviewed by an experienced disc golf designer and world champion for safety and playability. There were experts on site to oversee the installation work day that took place October 29. Over 25 volunteers worked together to complete all the concrete work. This included framing and pouring tee pads, installing all target sleeves and alternate pins, installing all sign posts and constructing and installing a welcome kiosk. The installation of individual signs and targets is scheduled to be completed before November 11. Tanner hopes to host a grand opening on that date.

This is a small multi-use neighborhood park. As such, during times of other organized youth activities (baseball & soccer), all the disc golf holes will not be available for play. This is not a pitch and putt course, nor is it championship caliber. It is a fun, challenging course to serve players of all abilities in the Murietta, Temecula and Lake Elsinore area.

Here is a link to the story regarding Tanner's project that was published August 12 (nearly 12 weeks prior to last week's volunteer installation).

http://www.pe.com/local-news/rivers...ta-scout-plans-disc-golf-course-for-badge.ece

Maybe also have the boy scouts in question read some of the good and bad reviews on this site?

Could give them some idea about that common complaints and praises are so they get a better personal sense for what it is you are trying to accomplish together. So they might feel they have some sense of evaluating what you put forward to them.

I have little doubt you could explain why this and that would or would not work. But it would probably help them as leaders on the project to know that some of what they are signing of on is generally viewed as good ideas - based in selfgained knowledge (even if they were directed to it :) ).

Thanks Discette,
I was provided that clip several months after lengthy email/phone/letter communications with the city who never once mentioned that this was going on, even when repeatedly asked about ongoing/future disc golf ventures. They emphatically denied anything was going on and then we receive notice of this 2nd 9 holer.

I am in contact with many golfers in the area (which is a tough group to organize into a cohesive unit) and they have the same experience. Unless we are a member of the Boy Scouts, the city ignores us. When asked about potential land for courses the city tell us there is no money, even though we have donors ready to go.

It feels like the city is saving disc golf course building for BS merit badges only and this is not a great way to complete a project. Their goal is to get merit badges not install challenging courses and it appears that they are meeting the goal without understanding that the golf course should be the focus, not the badge.

Latest posts