• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

For the most part, the extent of the Brodie conversation here is from people saying that they are tired of talking about Brodie.

He does a vid or an interview and you either watch it or you don't watch it. He plays some tourneys and you probably don't watch it because he is a couple of cards back. Which is fine. And some people buy and sell some discs. And that is really it.

Brodie's last 5 rounds have averaged 1007.

The thread was dead for 5 days when this was posted. People reacting are reacting to this bump from yesterday.

The title says "Brodie Smith...", not "Only people who like Brodie Smith...". Part of Brodie's story are the people who don't like him or his super fans or who think he's not that big of deal for disc golf, which is what the thread was about also.

Looks like Brodie's gonna hit 1000 rated before the end of the year assuming he doesn't implode at his next two events. Placed 2nd in his most recent tournament beating out Emerson Keith and G.T. Hancock by 2 strokes. Surprising or overhyped?

He's probably over 1000 right now. He has 2 more events for 2020. I don't think he's overhyped because no one seems to care how good he actually becomes. I think the more media worthy debate is how long he sticks with disc golf, mainly because of his last 2 failings in the social media world.

Surprising? Definitely surprised at 33 years old & less than 1 year playing serious disc golf he's 1000 rated. His short game/putting is pretty good though.

Perhaps the same reason I peak in on FOX news every now and then; just want to know what the other folks think. ;)

watching any national news media these days doesn't really give you any real indication of what anyone thinks... they are all terrible.

Good for Brodie and Discraft. Obviously things are going well enough for them right now to continue a working relationship.

Brodie just signed a 2 year extension with Discraft this morning.

Always fun to speculate, but I just don't see him getting a salary like Paul and Paige. Royalties from disc sales, bonuses from tournaments, etc, sure. Then again maybe getting to 1000 rated meant something more financial from DC. :popcorn:

Always fun to speculate, but I just don't see him getting a salary like Paul and Paige. Royalties from disc sales, bonuses from tournaments, etc, sure. Then again maybe getting to 1000 rated meant something more financial from DC. :popcorn:

I doubt there's any financial incentive from Discraft for him to get to 1000-rated. I saw an IG story of his a week or two ago saying something to the effect of "Only 4 rating points to go and get this nonsense over with" which I took to mean "no one thought I could hit 1000-rated in my first year and I'm about to prove you wrong. After that, my rating is basically meaningless."

Also, Brodie's social media following is probably double Paul and Paige's combined, if not more. Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a salary from Discraft since all of his content is now disc golf.

I doubt there's any financial incentive from Discraft for him to get to 1000-rated. I saw an IG story of his a week or two ago saying something to the effect of "Only 4 rating points to go and get this nonsense over with" which I took to mean "no one thought I could hit 1000-rated in my first year and I'm about to prove you wrong. After that, my rating is basically meaningless."

Also, Brodie's social media following is probably double Paul and Paige's combined, if not more. Considering that, I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a salary from Discraft since all of his content is now disc golf.

"no one thought I could hit 1000-rated in my first year

On the pro tour, not local A tiers. Changing in the middle of the season doesn't prove any point at all. Him and his super fans were saying this would happen against the best. That's not how he got to 1000.

On the pro tour, not local A tiers. Changing in the middle of the season doesn't prove any point at all. Him and his super fans were saying this would happen against the best. That's not how he got to 1000.

You are quoting a very loose interpretation of a paraphrased statement.

On the other side, I'm thinking getting to 1000 will be tougher than he thinks since a couple of those hot 1020 and 1030 rounds will drop from his most recent 25%.

A 1000-rating is a 1000-rating. He's a 1000-rated player. Against any field. WHERE he got those doesn't matter. PDGA rating is not a criterion-referenced construct. It's norm-referenced.

I like his 2 year extension. Means that my now trusty Get Freaky will be availible long enough for me to rack up enough backups should I lose some.

I really like the predictable smallish (compared to puddled Z and flat Z Zones) skip that these get. Makes parking 125-200' FH approaches super easy.

https://factorystore.discraft.com/collections/brodie-smith

Product dropped today and already sold out?

"If you purchase more, your order will be canceled. Bot buyers beware, we will be banning users who attempt to abuse the system."

I don't bag Discraft, but I'm starting to think someone is experimenting with social media marketing/branding by building a bit of false product demand. I guess it could be legit, by only pumping out very small runs so they can increase the "sold out" hype. hmm....

https://factorystore.discraft.com/

They have a section just for Brodie, but nothing for Paul or Paige? :confused:

But then... no Brodie on this page: :confused:
https://www.team.discraft.com/team-discraft

https://factorystore.discraft.com/collections/brodie-smith

Product dropped today and already sold out?

"If you purchase more, your order will be canceled. Bot buyers beware, we will be banning users who attempt to abuse the system."

I don't bag Discraft, but I'm starting to think someone is experimenting with social media marketing/branding by building a bit of false product demand. I guess it could be legit, by only pumping out very small runs so they can increase the "sold out" hype. hmm....

https://factorystore.discraft.com/

They have a section just for Brodie, but nothing for Paul or Paige? :confused:

But then... no Brodie on this page: :confused:
https://www.team.discraft.com/team-discraft
This is truly hilarious. Peak 'Murica right here. Love it.

I like his 2 year extension. Means that my now trusty Get Freaky will be availible long enough for me to rack up enough backups should I lose some.

I really like the predictable smallish (compared to puddled Z and flat Z Zones) skip that these get. Makes parking 125-200' FH approaches super easy.

Do you have one of his FLX Zones? I saw them at my local shop a couple and was tempted but didn't pull the trigger. I bag an ESP Zone and wondered how much different it was.

Do you have one of his FLX Zones? I saw them at my local shop a couple and was tempted but didn't pull the trigger. I bag an ESP Zone and wondered how much different it was.

Yeah. Nice bit of gummy softness to it. My only experince with ESP is a puddle topped AT series and that thing skips like crazy amd is crazy OS.

Not sure about these particular FLX Zones, but my experience is that FLX Zones are more overstable than Z Zones.

I hear the older ESP Zones are some of the most OS, so these FLX Zones might be right up your alley.
And a FLX Zone will not skip like an ESP.

Last edited: