• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

That's my regular course and 18 is pretty dang long, plus you can't cut that corner much at all. Going wide like that is 350+ in the air. I can get BH out to 300 on a good day and have gotten within 50 feet once (missed the d@mn putt tho).

The distances are certainly messed up - rolling them out with a measuring wheel is on my to-do list once the weather clears up.

However, he will need to practice A LOT to putt from the rough on that course in the spring/summer. Tons of stinging nettles, thorns and fire ants to avoid. I don't wear shorts out there anymore, plus the back 9 has very narrow fairways when mowed and weeds up to 6 feet tall.

300' tape is cheaper and more accurate BTW. They can be had for ~$30 and for holes longer than 300' bring a friend so you can leap-frog measure easily.

Gotta say...after watching that solo round video I'm impressed with how quickly he is picking up the game especially the terminology and executing the shots. Much much quicker than most newbs I run into and especially quicker than I did. :|

I'm kinda becoming a Brodie fan. Is this something I should worry about? Should I see a doctor?

And yes, I am too becoming a fan too, even without meds. It seems like he understands his new audience, is respectful of the sport and has the physical tools to succeed.
Plus. it'd be awesome to see an MPO top finisher using a stand-still BH.

And yes, I am too becoming a fan too, even without meds. It seems like he understands his new audience, is respectful of the sport and has the physical tools to succeed.
Plus. it'd be awesome to see an MPO top finisher using a stand-still BH.

I missed this. When did he finish top in a tournament?

I like standstill myself, but has Brodie mentioned why he is using it? Or is he planning on incorporating a run up?

I like standstill myself, but has Brodie mentioned why he is using it? Or is he planning on incorporating a run up?

He's just working on his short game for now(publicly at least), primarily mids/putters with a splash of fairways. He's already shown he can throw 400-500ft with a full x-step/driver. With his years of Ultimate domination why should it surprise anyone he can throw slower speed discs well from a stand still? While it's great to see him doing well early on, this is not a case of a total noob throwing discs. The typical ultimate throw is after all a hyzer flip. ;)

Watching the Vegas vid. Goodbye turbo putt, hello scoober? Make it happen imo. Fun to see Brodie getting worked a little and making mistakes that I make.

Sure, he's got a lot to learn.
Stuff that took us a while, like rules, flight nuances, shot shaping, alternate lines, straddle putting, distance control, etc.
But man, he can hit a line! Not always perfectly, not every time, but he can hit his lines way more often than not.
He seems somewhat unpretentious, and like others have said, seems to understand his disc golf audience.

Color me impressed and cautiously optimistic.

Insane to me to throw max drives stand-still. . i would kill my body if i did that
Just a small walk-up and everything in my throw feels so much smoother

I just can´t use stand still beyond 150ft

In that video from Sunset, on one of his approach shots he said something like, "I can do an ultimate throw."
He needs to eventually rely on that strength, and have a strong short game. He's Brodie Smith, not Paul McBeth. And maybe it's because it's he's just starting out, but I have to say that I miss the old Brodie. He needed a few more yells in there. Show some of that emotion. Obviously he shouldn't be yelling during tournaments, so maybe he's practicing being reserved. Not sure. It's interesting to watch this unfold.

In that video from Sunset, on one of his approach shots he said something like, "I can do an ultimate throw."
He needs to eventually rely on that strength, and have a strong short game. He's Brodie Smith, not Paul McBeth. And maybe it's because it's he's just starting out, but I have to say that I miss the old Brodie. He needed a few more yells in there. Show some of that emotion. Obviously he shouldn't be yelling during tournaments, so maybe he's practicing being reserved. Not sure. It's interesting to watch this unfold.

The yells would cause me to tune out ASAP. One of the reasons I like disc golf is the lack of hooligans in our hobby.

Please keep the hooligan antics over on the soccer field.

Insane to me to throw max drives stand-still. . . I just can´t use stand still beyond 150ft

Looking forward to seeing his progress with high speed drivers / xstep. But throwing mids/fairways 350 from a stand still will be a great tool for him. You can see how much height/spin he's putting on those slower discs, that's the key (especially the spin) to getting putters/mids out further. If you're only throwing putters 150 from a stand still, I'm guessing you're relying on arm speed more than spin. Put a little more snap (spin), height on those slower speed discs and their glide increases dramatically.

Bring on the emotion.. after the throw, not before or during. lol...

Bring on the emotion.. after the throw, not before or during. lol...

I'm all for emotion. As long as it's not a distraction to others. One of the things I really like about watching disc golf is that the players seem to really like each other and are happy for one another when they do well. You don't see that sort of interaction a lot of that in other sports.

I run into a group of 6 guys that play casually on my home course from time to time. They're not doing anyone harm and just having a good time, but they all scream like grade school kids after each one of them makes a shot.

It does get old after about 3-4 holes, so I just chuckle and try to stay on the other side of the park from them.