• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Yeah, there is a reason, actually several, that I will not give the PDGA any of my money.

Could I run it any better? No, not my skill set.
Could I lawyer up a better set of rules? Darn right, I bloody well could.

Oh. Yeah, now that you mention it there is no way in hell Brodie isn't in a Champs vs Chumps in the near future.

I do think he will be knocking on the door of 1000 by the end of the year.

I think its a good sign that he is already trying new(better) footwork. Otherwise, you might see what normally happens to players when they start trying to get better. You take a few steps back before you start seeing positive results on the course. This way, he is setting himself up to be more successful by learning the proper technique as he is learning the game and its a lot easier breaking bad habits early in your career than later.

Btw, anyone else notice the Paul style back foot grinding on his putting routine? lol

There are multiple run up styles that are "correct". The X step is not the end all be all.

With his very tall frame, Brodie may be served better with a scissor step over the X step.

I think its a good sign that he is already trying new(better) footwork. Otherwise, you might see what normally happens to players when they start trying to get better. You take a few steps back before you start seeing positive results on the course. This way, he is setting himself up to be more successful by learning the proper technique as he is learning the game and its a lot easier breaking bad habits early in your career than later.

Btw, anyone else notice the Paul style back foot grinding on his putting routine? lol

Yeah I do it too, helps to remember to really push off that back leg and to make sure you have a firm grip in the ground with that foot.

There are multiple run up styles that are "correct". The X step is not the end all be all.

With his very tall frame, Brodie may be served better with a scissor step over the X step.

I mean philo is pretty tall, why would an x step be good for everyone else except Brodie?

I mean philo is pretty tall, why would an x step be good for everyone else except Brodie?

Its not. Look at many of the Europeans. Look at Feldburg. Look at Cam Todd, look at A.J..

None of those use the X step. The X step optimizes power over accuracy. Brodie has all the power he needs on anything other than a ball golf course. He had both the fast twitch muscles and the wing span to throw pro level distance from a stand still.

Why would he need to optimize power over accuracy on his run up?

Last edited:
Its not. Look at many of the Europeans. Look at Feldburg. Look at Cam Todd, look at A.J..

None of those use the X step. The X step optimizes power over accuracy. Brodie has all the power he needs on anything other than a ball golf course. He had both the fast twitch muscles and the wing span to throw pro level distance from a stand still.

Why would he need to optimize power over accuracy on his run up?

uhhh... all of those guys use the x-step.

I can't think of any examples of current pros that don't.

uhhh... all of those guys use the x-step.

I can't think of any examples of current pros that don't.

Avery turns his back totally to the target and his last step is directly toward the target.

Feldburg looks like he is going to use the X step, but on his second step he lines his hip to the target and hops into the shot.

Cam Todd's last step is a high scissor step.

As for the Europeans, I cannot remember the Swedish and Finnish names.

I threw Swedish style(modeled after Feldburg) for a few years. There is almost no way to make an X step work with it. One either has to scissor step or or hop into the shot. To create power with the arm bar, the body has to be moving in pretty straight line. The hips still have to rotate fully, that's where the hop comes in.

Feldburg teaches the X step, but watch the slow mos of his shots. He is moving very linearly.

One thing the backwards run up, X step, scissor step and crow hop all have in common us that the hips go into deep rotation to where the strong side butt cheek is facing the target right before the 'pull' starts. That's really all that matters. How one get there is up to the player and the shot needed.

Sorry for the disassociated ramble.

Avery turns his back totally to the target and his last step is directly toward the target.

Feldburg looks like he is going to use the X step, but on his second step he lines his hip to the target and hops into the shot.

Cam Todd's last step is a high scissor step.

As for the Europeans, I cannot remember the Swedish and Finnish names.

I threw Swedish style(modeled after Feldburg) for a few years. There is almost no way to make an X step work with it. One either has to scissor step or or hop into the shot. To create power with the arm bar, the body has to be moving in pretty straight line. The hips still have to rotate fully, that's where the hop comes in.

Feldburg teaches the X step, but watch the slow mos of his shots. He is moving very linearly.

One thing the backwards run up, X step, scissor step and crow hop all have in common us that the hips go into deep rotation to where the strong side butt cheek is facing the target right before the 'pull' starts. That's really all that matters. How one get there is up to the player and the shot needed.

Sorry for the disassociated ramble.

I'm not sure you understand what an x-step is? Can you give me one video of a pro not doing an x-step on a drive? I've watched countless videos of the players you've mentioned and all use an x-step.

Scissor step seems to be something different to you but I'm not sure that it is.

If your left foot crosses behind your plant foot in the drive, you're doing an x-step.

If your left foot crosses behind your plant foot in the drive, you're doing an x-step.

No, you are not. An X step is very specific. In all run ups, the weak foot crosses behind the strong foot. Body mechanics demand this, it is not optional.

In an X Step, the feet move off line in an X pattern whilst the body stays, mostly, on the line, with the disc staying in one spot in the air until the pull is started. Bent arm throwers will move the disc off line a bit, but other than that, theirs is the same as a full reach back.

If one are not doing all of the above, then it is not an X Step.

In a scissor step, the weak foot 'sweeps' inline, where the X step the weak foot steps off line. To get the hips engaged, the scissor step's weak foot must penetrate deeper towards the target than what the X step has to..

In a backwards run up, one turns their back towards the target before the weak foot steps through.

In a crow hop, the weak foot passes behind the strong foot whilst the strong foot is in the air.

All 4 run ups start the same and end the same, it is how the body transitions through the movement is what makes the run ups different.

This needs to be it's own thread; I probably should have prerubed myself, it seems that this has already been argued before.

Last edited:
No, you are not. An X step is very specific. In all run ups, the weak foot crosses behind the strong foot. Body mechanics demand this, it is not optional.

In an X Step, the feet move off line in an X pattern whilst the body stays, mostly, on the line, with the disc staying in one spot in the air until the pull is started. Bent arm throwers will move the disc off line a bit, but other than that, theirs is the same as a full reach back.

If one are not doing all of the above, then it is not an X Step.

In a scissor step, the weak foot 'sweeps' inline, where the X step the weak foot steps off line. To get the hips engaged, the scissor step's weak foot must penetrate deeper towards the target than what the X step has to..

In a backwards run up, one turns their back towards the target before the weak foot steps through.

In a crow hop, the weak foot passes behind the strong foot whilst the strong foot is in the air.

All 4 run ups start the same and end the same, it is how the body transitions through the movement is what makes the run ups different.

This needs to be it's own thread; I probably should have prerubed myself, it seems that this has already been argued before.

I've never heard this before. Did you invent these terms?

I guess I am also confused about what exactly constitutes an x-step.

I have always thought that Feldberg uses an x-step in his drives, such as the one in the video below, but what do I know.

I guess I am also confused about what exactly constitutes an x-step.

I have always thought that Feldberg uses an x-step in his drives, such as the one in the video below, but what do I know.

I've never heard someone use those terms and it sort of sounds like made up forum-speak.

I'm not sure, but that's what it sounds like. I would call ALL of those and x-step.

I've spoken at length about form with many many people and never heard anyone use those terms or posit that feldberg or Avery Jenkins don't do an x-step.

I realize that I am somewhat pendantic in using terminology precisely; it irritates my friends as well. In above video, you can see his feet pass in the air. This was one of the videos that I use to loop over and over learning the Swedish style.

It was he that spoke of using, as I think he called it, the pro hop in one of his very early videos. In Baseball, we called it a crow hop... same thing, but I should have used his term.

All these terms have been used on this forum. I did not create them.

I realize that I am somewhat pendantic in using terminology precisely; it irritates my friends as well. In above video, you can see his feet pass in the air. This was one of the videos that I use to loop over and over learning the Swedish style.

It was he that spoke of using, as I think he called it, the pro hop in one of his very early videos. In Baseball, we called it a crow hop... same thing, but I should have used his term.

I think those are all adjectives they use to describe an x-step, not official definitions that make them specifically NOT an x-step.

Swedish throwers use more of a pendulum motion in the arms, but the x-step is consistent among all top throwers.

There are different ways to achieve an x-step. Individual body type and form intricacies can look different, but the trail foot crossing behind the plant foot in the stride equals x-step.

I haven't seen anyone other than you make this claim.

Last prerube.. unfortually I have non fun stuff I have to go do.
Both following are from before I joined the forum. Perhaps it was over on DGR where someone broke down the difference between an X step and a scissor step. Some of my info came from tutorial videos; much harder to search for those.

stokely my fav to watch on vid that scissor step is what i use most of the time

The idea behind the x step and the hop is more or less the same, the only difference is what you are more comfortable with. I do a 4 step X-step off the tee, a 3 step x-step when I need to hit the lie exactly ( marker ), and of course also throw from a standstill when I dont have room for a runup.