• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Doesn't this guy play ball golf too? I'm sure has some idea about on course etiquette...

Yes but some accidental NICE! that is so loud after a player on his card makes an amazing putt or some amazing shot to the point that he is bothering all other players including on the hole furthest from one his card is on and has to get Courtesy Violation for his voice taking as loud as some non mic'ed up metal singers would be. If not that then the Bleep words loud enough to get caught on camera or heard by players using the Bleeped words for missing an easy putt or some easy shot. If Nikko Locastro can get a few of these Curse Courtesy Violations in his earlier career then, Brodie definitely will.

Last edited:
Define exploit. I tend to agree with him about BS.

Short version:

I do not believe the word exploit is the focus. The contentious part of JTs post is "us" and "Wake me up when he's really about dg and the culture..." - with JTs similar position to Brodie in the first place it reads as sour grapes.

Sour Grapes - used to refer to an attitude in which someone adopts a negative attitude to something because they cannot have it themselves.

Longer version:

I have no delusions/predictions that Brodie will take disc golf seriously at all. There is good chance that BS does intend to use disc golf as his next adventure, which would be reflected on one of his YT channels. BS may intend to do exactly what JT said - use disc golf for ad revenue. The problem is that JT lives in a very similar space and is "marginalizing" Brodie with prejudice.

Defining exploit is interesting:

1. make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource)
2. use (a situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way

I think many correctly associate the word with the second definition in this case since JT leads in with "Wake me up when he's really about dg and the culture..." as if his personal definition of "dg culture" is some sort of qualifier or prerequisite to profit off of or even participate in the sport.

Add to that - JT, in his own words, will define TDs, staff and volunteers as "marginalized" while "exploiting" them at every turn himself. Unless JT is sharing his profits off of these peoples efforts, this is virtue signaling at its finest.

Would I agree that BS may intend to create YT content and earn ad revenue? Yes. I do not view this as a negative.

JT paints Brodie's intentions in a negative light by advocating the idea that BS is required to prove something to us by demanding that he is "about the dg culture", while insinuating that there is some sort of disc golf street cred' that needs to be earned to create disc golf content or profit off of the sport. Add to that, JTs "Wake me up when..." acting as if he is the gatekeeper of what is, and is not, an acceptable approach to disc golf media or participation in the sport overall.

JTs opinions have consistently been pompous and in this case you can add very asinine.

This is my opinion as I do not claim to speak for us.

Last edited:
My guess is that Brodie was pompous and condescending during the Avery filming, and this left a bad impression with JT....

However, Chains Bailey nailed it with his summary of JT's take and overall demeanor...

For someone who shares his former boss's pretentious "only I can see the big picture" pov he sure seems to be missing the possible benefits to more views for disc golf...

Full disclosure: the Brodie/Avery vid was the first and last Brodie vid I watched...not my cup of tea.

Hot take.....
Lloyd Weema could sell more discs (albeit for probably different reasons) than Brodie Smith.

I mentioned this in another thread:

...wonder if a company putting a very reasonable investment in the "Underdog", think LLoyd Weema, would pay off?

Hypothetical - Pay Lloyd's entry fees and lodging for 15 of the largest events = $5000ish' - could they sell over that in signature Weema' plastic?

I guess it is a risk - sponsoring Weema may backfire and be seen as diminishing the "Quality" of that brand or people may see the FUN in the idea and jump on board. Maybe the same applies to the risk of signing a person like Brodie.

I imagine any live broadcast having a camera on Lloyd's group and doing check-ins in between action on the lead cards. Short replays of highlights (failed throws and putts), but treated with the same level of professionalism as the lead cards.

New dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, _________, __________?

To the above post - I guess they would need to record Lloyds round as it is going to be way earlier in the day. Maybe that would work in their favor and have clips already edited to play during breaks in the live action. Also, the new ratings limits would keep Weema out of the events all together.

I am going to have to create a "Free Weema" campaign for 2020.

Updated dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, Casey 1988 (REQUIRED INTERVIEW),___________?

...wonder if a company putting a very reasonable investment in the "Underdog", think LLoyd Weema, would pay off?

Hypothetical - Pay Lloyd's entry fees and lodging for 15 of the largest events = $5000ish' - could they sell over that in signature Weema' plastic?

I guess it is a risk - sponsoring Weema may backfire and be seen as diminishing the "Quality" of that brand or people may see the FUN in the idea and jump on board. Maybe the same applies to the risk of signing a person like Brodie.

I imagine any live broadcast having a camera on Lloyd's group and doing check-ins in between action on the lead cards. Short replays of highlights (failed throws and putts), but treated with the same level of professionalism as the lead cards.

To the above post - I guess they would need to record Lloyds round as it is going to be way earlier in the day. Maybe that would work in their favor and have clips already edited to play during breaks in the live action. Also, the new ratings limits would keep Weema out of the events all together.

I am going to have to create a "Free Weema" campaign for 2020.

Updated dream card - Lloyd Weema, Brodie Smith, Casey 1988 (REQUIRED INTERVIEW),___________?

The "Weema" idea is a really good one, imo. As long as he's OK with it and it's not done in an offensive way towards him. I do think there would be a market for that. And mixing his shots in during breaks of live streaming would really improve those gaps.
Look at Cubby, RIP. When he was first discovered people bitched and moaned about all the aces, then he became someone who represented the fun part of the sport. Now there's a shot named after him.
Something similar could happen with Weema.

I kinda think the only person that would watch a video of the Lloyd round would be Lloyd. And I would not expect any company to consider investing even such a small amount in a sub-800 player.

As for a Brodie "sponsorship," I expect if he starts playing, he might get a deal similar to Casey DeSmith, the NHL player who had some kind of deal with Dynamic Discs. I suspect they supplied plastic at the very least, and he participated in some events and helped out with publicity. I could see Brodie Smith doing something like that but wouldn't expect his own line or anything.

I kinda think the only person that would watch a video of the Lloyd round would be Lloyd. And I would not expect any company to consider investing even such a small amount in a sub-800 player..

Like Jay Dub mentioned, Weema would have to be in on the idea and realize it is all in fun.

You are correct, there is almost zero chance this ever happens, but I am just imagining Lloyd on a teams website, a players card, run of plastic, his vehicle emblazoned like a top touring Pro, his own Vlog of his adventures on the teams site.....it all has the makings of an instant cult hero.

Then take the thing to all companies willing - maybe just 1 player per company per season. Each season culminates with each teams Weema' playing a winner take all one round event at years end just before the season finale of the top pros. Like 8 companies represented on a Rec level course, but add the flare of a tour event and present it professionally through a Jomez type company and BAM! - an annual must see by all of the disc golf FUN loving fans.

The relatability to the average player, add the differing personalities, nicknames and unique styles of throwing - each player may get their own fan following throughout the year - the bragging rights if your favorite manufacturer wins...

I need to put down the DGCR and go do something productive now.

Brodie to DD seems inevitable.

If not there then Innova has a number of celebrity players combined with the discs that could suit his game like the Condor, The Sonic and dog versions with both 245 and 215 that are legal, Zepher, and big Kahuna. Not to mention the slow Birdie and the Pole Cat. He could use those discs as well as, I almost forgot, the Nova. I know Innova has an Ultimate disc but it is not that great, has odd grip.

Latest posts