• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

There's 400 1000 rated players. Would be pretty disappointing if he can't crack that group.

I expect him to end the year in the 1010 range along with obviously good, but Paul still giving him 5 throws a round.

There's 400 1000 rated players. Would be pretty disappointing if he can't crack that group.

I expect him to end the year in the 1010 range along with obviously good, but Paul still giving him 5 throws a round.
He's definitely been aided by the Coronavirus break. Months of additional training before piling tour rounds on his number. I still don't see 1010. Additionally given the smaller tour schedule moving forward: I'm not sure he'll play enough rounds to really wipe out the effect of the few early season rounds that went into his current 970s.

I could see it more if you were saying he could be throwing 1010 rated rounds consistently at the end of the year, but I don't see him ending the year in the 1010 range in terms of his actual rating.

He's definitely been aided by the Coronavirus break. Months of additional training before piling tour rounds on his number. I still don't see 1010. Additionally given the smaller tour schedule moving forward: I'm not sure he'll play enough rounds to really wipe out the effect of the few early season rounds that went into his current 970s.

I could see it more if you were saying he could be throwing 1010 rated rounds consistently at the end of the year, but I don't see him ending the year in the 1010 range in terms of his actual rating.

Be careful saying things like this in this thread.

All hail Brodie!! :rolleyes:

If he chooses only elite tournaments with high rated players, I could see 1000+ sooner than later. If he was aided by the Coronavirus I'm guessing he was debilitated by Lyme disease.

Brodie being newer to the sport doesn't mean that his opinion should totally and summarily be discounted. It IS, however, something that definitely should be factored in as context when listening to his thoughts. Does anybody have a summary of what he has said on the issue (in the podcast with paul, at least)? I looked through this thread quickly and didn't see anything but don't feel like watching the whole video...

If he chooses only elite tournaments with high rated players, I could see 1000+ sooner than later. If he was aided by the Coronavirus I'm guessing he was debilitated by Lyme disease.
That's a valid point - though I'd argue the relatively few rounds he plays that are low rated due to Lyme complications would have been outnumbered by the lower rated rounds he played as he developed his feel for the disc golf discs and their flights. No way to be sure, but a healthy Brodie shot 970s at his debut. I don't think it would have been ridiculous to assume a month or more of playing at the sub 1000 level. If the 3.5 months of work between those events took him to somewhere between 970s and that 1018 first round at DDO - then he's managed to bypass a few months of regular though not necessarily every week sub-1000 play that would have impeded him in the quest for 4 digits in the 2020 calendar year.

Brodie being newer to the sport doesn't mean that his opinion should totally and summarily be discounted. It IS, however, something that definitely should be factored in as context when listening to his thoughts. Does anybody have a summary of what he has said on the issue (in the podcast with paul, at least)? I looked through this thread quickly and didn't see anything but don't feel like watching the whole video...

There are shorter clip versions of the podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GripLockedPodcast/videos

Helps his "brand" to not go out on tour and get smoked every week. Sell some Zones in between showings etc.. He has benefited from COVID offseason 2.0 for sure.

Helps his "brand" to not go out on tour and get smoked every week.

As a long time Brodie fan, I disagree. I think it serves his brand perfectly to be the guy trying to improve and his fans watching his progress along the way. It's ok if he comes in 1st or last, as long as we think he's putting in the time. If he came in DFL @ a DGPT event, if his round was covered and he was also mic'd up to hear his comments, that would be an entertaining video to watch. I'm guessing Brodie is more concerned with views than ratings.

As a long time Brodie fan, I disagree. I think it serves his brand perfectly to be the guy trying to improve and his fans watching his progress along the way. It's ok if he comes in 1st or last, as long as we think he's putting in the time. If he came in DFL @ a DGPT event, if his round was covered and he was also mic'd up to hear his comments, that would be an entertaining video to watch. I'm guessing Brodie is more concerned with views than ratings.
I'd say he's concerned about his rating because he sees how it can impact his views. He has his legions, but he knows he needs to show out to keep and continue to draw disc golfers to his product.

Brodie is too competitive to not care about winning/ratings.

Also, the more rounds he posts with his foundation buddies helps you understand why the chubby guy left.
He is a relentless corny trash talking BRO. Some ppl can take it, others cant.

Brodie is too competitive to not care about winning/ratings.

Also, the more rounds he posts with his foundation buddies helps you understand why the chubby guy left.
He is a relentless corny trash talking BRO. Some ppl can take it, others cant.

Seems like I'd fit in well then. Any idea how to convince them?