• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Build your own lake rake

i built one this morning and went fishing for disc found three in about two hours not to bad. bought the supplies for about $35 at lowes. will post pics later

I lost my first disc ever on #5 a 175 (i think) red dx valkyrie. Its been in there since spring and has my name and phone # Mike Harrington. Let me know if you find it I would gladly trade you for a less sentimental disc

I am guessing you looked at Winnebago County Park hole #5. If you find a Champion Valkyrie (yellow) could you let me know?

hole 5 is to rocky didnt get a thing out of that hole get cought on the rocks. but if you lose any other one let me know and i could get them for you. got the 3 from holes 12 and 13.

I lost my first disc ever on #5 a 175 (i think) red dx valkyrie. Its been in there since spring and has my name and phone # Mike Harrington. Let me know if you find it I would gladly trade you for a less sentimental disc

it is probaly gone there is 2 guys who go in weekly i think but if i find it i will let you know #5 is rocky so i dont know if we would every find it

You can build a lake rake for next to nothing if you know what materials to use. I built one out of old bicycle parts. Take the fork of a kids bike, and bolt it to a C-Channel piece of fence post. Then take an old Bike tire rim and cut it into 12-14" lengths and bolt those to the fence post about 5" apart. The curve of the rim helps keep the discs from slipping through - and the weight helps keep the whole unit on the bottom.
Sam Covington showed me this design down at USDGC a few years back - and it's very effective. I built one for Paw Paw - and that's where it sits - so I will take a photo when I go up in a couple weeks. All I had to pay for were the nuts and bolts - everything else was salvaged.

You can build a lake rake for next to nothing if you know what materials to use. I built one out of old bicycle parts. Take the fork of a kids bike, and bolt it to a C-Channel piece of fence post. Then take an old Bike tire rim and cut it into 12-14" lengths and bolt those to the fence post about 5" apart. The curve of the rim helps keep the discs from slipping through - and the weight helps keep the whole unit on the bottom.
Sam Covington showed me this design down at USDGC a few years back - and it's very effective. I built one for Paw Paw - and that's where it sits - so I will take a photo when I go up in a couple weeks. All I had to pay for were the nuts and bolts - everything else was salvaged.
Bump for a pic of Craig's rake....

image.axd

around here if you find water your probably in the river...
our rivers are full of dead wood, limbs, sludge?, etc
these "rakes" look like they'd get caught on everything, any experience with getting them stuck? or do they pull over the obstacles in the water

i only ask cause i wanna make one, but dont think it'll work in this situation
i imagine those rakes work good for ponds and whatnot

around here if you find water your probably in the river...
our rivers are full of dead wood, limbs, sludge?, etc
these "rakes" look like they'd get caught on everything, any experience with getting them stuck? or do they pull over the obstacles in the water

i only ask cause i wanna make one, but dont think it'll work in this situation
i imagine those rakes work good for ponds and whatnot

in that case you might be better off with a golden retriever.

I built a retriever similar to the Golden Retriever except twice a wide. I found six discs first time out and missed about 10 based on how the rope feels when you pick one up. Dropped discs were due to the front pieces extended too far and allowed the disc to flip up and go over the top. No problem as on my last throw the rope was untied and I lost it. Second retriever is 16" wide rather than 18 and the center divider is one bolt with a 3/4 pvc pipe around it. First attempt was two dividers about 3" apart that would catch a disc but it would flip over the top. Materials list is 4' chain link fence stretcher bent in a rectangle with 4" sides. Drill two 1/4 in holes in each side 1" from the corner. I used 1/8" steel rod 36" for the two pieces that pull the rig through the water in a similar fashion as the golden except not twisted around the base but inserted in the holes drilled. 5" bolt for center and short piece of pvc pipe for divider. 50 foot rope. I can throw this 50 feet with ease. I can post picture if someone can explain how to do it. Everything available at Lowes under $15.00

Last edited:
Posting a Pic

I'd like to see that. I know you can attach a thumbnail (like the baseball in my post) that will open bigger when you click on it by clicking the go advanced button in the quick reply box, and then press manage attachments. From there its just like adding an attachment to an email. Browse, select file, and hit upload.

Attachments

• baseball in grass.jpg
    baseball in grass.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 291
I'd like to see that. I know you can attach a thumbnail (like the baseball in my post) that will open bigger when you click on it by clicking the go advanced button in the quick reply box, and then press manage attachments. From there its just like adding an attachment to an email. Browse, select file, and hit upload.

I know that way but id like somebody to tell me how to post large pics, i know you have to upload your pics to another site first? can anyone shed a little light on this?

back on the thread though... the lake rake is a sweet idea, i can think of a few waterholes I could use one on right now. Im probly gonna build one myself soon too, thanks for the idea, honestly this is one of the best threads ive read in a while thanks for the ideas guys.

I will try to add pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 670
Made mine following Foundit's directions above. A vice made bending the flat steel easier, and access to a drill press made making the holes even easier. I bent the chain link tension bar a little long on the top and bottom so mine has two pvc covered bolts instead of one. I haven't gone blind fishing yet, but used it three times this week. One disc was probably seven feet deep in the lake. Threw the getter past it, drug it back, and bingo; disc in hand. The other two times the discs broke through some ice and were about halfway from the surface on some ice still. The weight of the getter was able to break through the ice and bring in the discs easily. It has already been well worth the money I spent to build it. I'm looking to maybe make a smaller, lighter more portable one. Thanks for the guidance Foundit.

Latest posts