• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building The Bag: Part 2 on SpinTV

JTacoma03

* Ace Member *
It's here! The best tool to talk to newer players about how to talk about and select discs for their bag.

Drivers are a much wider (pun intended) topic of conversation, and there will be many conflicting opinions on what to throw. Which discs would you recommend to newer or intermediate players? Do you agree or disagree with our assessments?

This year we will be posting short 1-2min. supplementary videos throughout our travels so we can bring up concepts, philosophies, and discs that wouldn't fit in our 6 minute window. So feel free to suggest things that would be good content for exploration, remember that these two videos were intended to only be the basic foundation, not encyclopedic.

Good video.

One thing I've noticed is that Avery talks with his hands a lot.

How does he not mention Destroyers? Or was that omitted intentionally because it's his signature disc?

Edit: Yea, Hammer. You do notice that, especially when he's talking and waving a disc around. :)

How does he not mention Destroyers? Or was that omitted intentionally because it's his signature disc?

Edit: Yea, Hammer. You do notice that, especially when he's talking and waving a disc around. :)

Another good video but I did find that a little strange myself

i assume he mentions all the discs he does because ii someone having no disc golf knowledge watches this video and gets the leopard, the teebird, the tern, or the katana, at least its not the worst discs to be putting in their hands compared to more overstable plastic. I actually like what discmania and avery are doing in these videos (aside from the bias marking to innova)

keep it up!

As JTacoma mentioned these videos are to help beginner- intermediate players build their bag. The destroyer isn't a great disc for someone at that level. Y'all know that :D

Good video.

Haha, he sure does. I've taken to just giving him things to hold instead of trying to correct it. It's a good trick for remembering lines too :)

We were going for more beginner-friendly and forgiving molds is the honest answer. We would have loved to go into more depth with more overstable - but it complicates the explanations as you have to delineate between relative stability (a players power level and how the disc reacts) and true stability (wind resistance) and we thought it might be too much nitty gritty detail for an intro video.

We definitely plan on talking about these other concepts, which falls under the supplementary video ideas...think "continuing education" 1-2min. concepts. From there we can branch out to more advanced topics as well, which I personally am excited to conceptualize and shoot.

how does he not mention pd's

Great question. We decided to keep it Innova for a couple of reasons:

One is simplicity for beginners - people new to the sport might not know the Innova/Discmania/Millenium hierarchy (which would lead to questions like - why no discraft, prodigy, latitude64, etc.) so we stuck with one brand name.

Another is that Innova and Discmania have a different branding and visual aesthetic, and we decided that this concept felt more "Innova" than "Discmania"...sort of like how musicians who are part of multiple bands have to keep their styles separate in writing and performing.

Thanks everyone,

I can promise that we will eventually get to more advanced topics! We just have to build the foundation first.

Actually I just had a conversation today about a video we'd like to shoot at Texas States which is more advanced level - and I think many of you who play tournaments will appreciate.

2014 is a big year for SpinTV and we're only just getting started!

Good video.

Agreed on all accounts. His hands are incredibly distracting, but they're better than part one. I'm also glad to see the choppy scene transitions from part one are gone as well.

Looking forward to more.

This episode has some big improvements, more useful information to make players aware of WHY they are buying the disc they chose. Not just buying discs because that's what they saw in a video somewhere.

We were going for more beginner-friendly and forgiving molds is the honest answer. We would have loved to go into more depth with more overstable - but it complicates the explanations as you have to delineate between relative stability (a players power level and how the disc reacts) and true stability (wind resistance) and we thought it might be too much nitty gritty detail for an intro video.

We definitely plan on talking about these other concepts, which falls under the supplementary video ideas...think "continuing education" 1-2min. concepts. From there we can branch out to more advanced topics as well, which I personally am excited to conceptualize and shoot.

As a beginner and part of the target audience, one thing that stood out as missing that I only know because of my reading here and that is an idea about the power / distance required to throw some of the higher speed drivers and when to look towards integrating a higher speed driver into your bag. I know this is very subjective but if you could provide something along the lines of "If you can throw your Leopard / Teebird X feet, you are ready to start with the Valkyrie / etc". If I had only watched the video and went shopping I would be getting at least a Valkyrie (if not a Tern & Katana) to go along with the Leopard ... even though I don't have the form and arm speed to justify moving up to the higher speed discs.

I like the vids, gotta start with that. But I also want to give honest feedback, as that's what I hope for from anyone else.

These seem like commercials at some points. Of course I know SpinTV is Innova and Avery is Innova -- I'm not expecting him to pull out a Buzzz/ Cannon/River/etc -- but there were so many superlatives crammed in there that at times it felt like a used car lot. Just an opinion, though I don't have an answer as to how/what to change.

I tried to watch these from a beginner's eyes, since this is supposed to be aimed at the beginner. Words and phrases most of us know here --- hyzer bombs, stand-up rollers, big anny flex shots, stable/understable --- would escape most players just getting started. I know you gotta learn somewhere, but the first statement in the video is "whether it's finnessing a hyzer flip shot down a tunnel, racing a roller to curl up by the pin, or bombing a power hyzer down an open fairway..." I wouldn't have known what any of these meant when I was just getting started.

That said, I understand that these videos are designed to be short in order to stay on point and not cram everything there is about learning the sport into one giant 2-hr movie. Chopping instructions up into serviceable bites of information in 7 minutes or less is a brilliant and effective way to keep more new players interested. Knowing that's the case, the above statement is moot, so long as the new player looks through the other videos and information and educates his self on the language of disc.

Just a little critical discussion, not trying to ruffle the feathers or troll the thread. I truly appreciate the good that Avery does for the sport, and I see him continuing to be a positive ambassador for all things disc for many years.

I also very much appreciate the high quality of the SpinTV cinematography, audio, and editing work. These videos certainly make our sport look more polished and professional, and less game-ish and "frisbee"-like.

Kudos.

Although I personally am not a fan of meatheads with big ego's, the guy does alot to promote the sport in a positive manner. You can expect first runs of every mold he mentioned in these 2 videos to spike 25% in price in the coming months just as the 11x rocs did after Brinster, Climo and Jenkins had in the bags and all of a sudden 20 people posted wanted ads in the marketplace for Sentinels when they probably didnt even know what they were.

As a beginner and part of the target audience, one thing that stood out as missing that I only know because of my reading here and that is an idea about the power / distance required to throw some of the higher speed drivers and when to look towards integrating a higher speed driver into your bag. I know this is very subjective but if you could provide something along the lines of "If you can throw your Leopard / Teebird X feet, you are ready to start with the Valkyrie / etc". If I had only watched the video and went shopping I would be getting at least a Valkyrie (if not a Tern & Katana) to go along with the Leopard ... even though I don't have the form and arm speed to justify moving up to the higher speed discs.

Thanks for taking the time to post feedback. Truth be told - it is completely subjective. It's hard to give a blanket "X feet means move up" because age, strength, athletic history, and medical/injury history all play a role. I don't want to discourage anyone with a one-size-fits-all methodology, but the downside is that can leave some areas vague. I think this topic would make a good supplementary video, and we'll try to officially address it in the future as I'm sure you're not the only person with this question.

We've also coined a phrase "maximum effective distance" which will be our first supplementary video, and I think that when we explain this concept that it will help be a guideline answer for you as well.

I like the vids, gotta start with that. But I also want to give honest feedback, as that's what I hope for from anyone else.

These seem like commercials at some points. Of course I know SpinTV is Innova and Avery is Innova -- I'm not expecting him to pull out a Buzzz/ Cannon/River/etc -- but there were so many superlatives crammed in there that at times it felt like a used car lot. Just an opinion, though I don't have an answer as to how/what to change.

I tried to watch these from a beginner's eyes, since this is supposed to be aimed at the beginner. Words and phrases most of us know here --- hyzer bombs, stand-up rollers, big anny flex shots, stable/understable --- would escape most players just getting started. I know you gotta learn somewhere, but the first statement in the video is "whether it's finnessing a hyzer flip shot down a tunnel, racing a roller to curl up by the pin, or bombing a power hyzer down an open fairway..." I wouldn't have known what any of these meant when I was just getting started.

That said, I understand that these videos are designed to be short in order to stay on point and not cram everything there is about learning the sport into one giant 2-hr movie. Chopping instructions up into serviceable bites of information in 7 minutes or less is a brilliant and effective way to keep more new players interested. Knowing that's the case, the above statement is moot, so long as the new player looks through the other videos and information and educates his self on the language of disc.

Just a little critical discussion, not trying to ruffle the feathers or troll the thread. I truly appreciate the good that Avery does for the sport, and I see him continuing to be a positive ambassador for all things disc for many years.

I also very much appreciate the high quality of the SpinTV cinematography, audio, and editing work. These videos certainly make our sport look more polished and professional, and less game-ish and "frisbee"-like.

Kudos.

Very fair points, thanks for the thoughtful critique. In an attempt to be brief and not drone on and on, we wrote some conceptual material into the bits describing the discs (i.e. wraiths and wind resistance). I definitely understand that this stylistic choice may come across wrong to some, and it's a risk we took in the way we did the videos. Also yes, some of the terminology may be just beyond the most basic level, but our hope is that it will inspire people to look for more info and help educate themselves on great equipment and technique...will it work? Time will tell I guess.

--

This video series was/is a challenge, because it's a big mountain of information to tackle, it was overwhelming at first. To be honest I'm getting pretty much the feedback I expected to get from DGCR, but this was the best way I could think of to present the basics.

And you did a great job! I'd nitpick Martin Scorcesi if he posted on here, but his work is still brilliant.
I just want you to know that even with those little critiques, YOU are the ones doing the brainstorming, planning, filming, editing, and everything else that goes into not just making a few simple vids but a series of videos directed at increasing the footprint of the sport and bettering both new and experienced players alike. You're doing great work -- this is the caliber of media that we should direct anyone to with an itch to learn about the sport.

Last edited: