• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building The Bag: Part 1 on SpinTV

JTacoma03

* Ace Member *
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to announce that the 2014 Season has began for SpinTV and we're leading off with Building The Bag: Part 1! Avery and I thought this up and took it on as a pet project about a year ago, hopefully it will be a good resource for talking to newer or more inexperienced players about disc selection. There are many technique instructionals out there, but no equipment instructionals, so hopefully this helps fill that void. There are many ambassadors of our sport that post on this site, and these videos are dedicated to those who work tirelessly to introduce everyone they know to disc golf!

On a personal note, thanks to everyone who has supported the inaugural year of SpinTV. We've heard your feedback, both positive and negative, and look forward to compounding our success this upcoming year. I take great pride in being part of what I consider to be the most professional media group in disc golf, and I appreciate all the support and love shown along the way. Let's continue to grow this sport together in 2014! -JT

I watched this earlier today and thought it was pretty good. Building a bag gets talked about a TON here, and this vid will be helpful for a lot of new players.

I think what I liked was how Avery showed a few beginner friendly molds and then mentioned what he uses for those spots in his own bag. He also touched briefly on cycling mids as opposed to different molds for different flights.

I watched this earlier today and thought it was pretty good. Building a bag gets talked about a TON here, and this vid will be helpful for a lot of new players.

I think what I liked was how Avery showed a few beginner friendly molds and then mentioned what he uses for those spots in his own bag. He also touched briefly on cycling mids as opposed to different molds for different flights.

Thanks! This is a tough topic to "teach" because what Avery says will be taken as gospel by many, many people. We wanted to take a stance where we address topics but still be careful to not fully endorse one method over another if it's subjective or individual (i.e. cycling molds vs a variety). Personally we both have a "different strokes for different folks" mentality. Avery himself uses only Rocs, but he'll be the first to tell you that there's not a right or wrong way, just what works best for the individual.

Overall we want to encourage people to find their own way, and hopefully this video can be a guide, or a push in the right direction because disc selection nowadays can be so overwhelming with all the options.

Part 2 will be out soon as well, so stay tuned!

saw this earlier from discmania's twitter. I watched it and enjoyed it. Avery is a good guy to do these with. Had to laugh at one of the comments complaining about him only promoting Innova discs lol. Looking forward to part 2.

Great video. There's been quite a bit of negativity here on the forums regarding Avery, most of which is just plain mean and ridiculous. Avery is a great ambassador for our sport and he does a darn good job in his videos.

Seemed more like an Innova commercial than an instructional video. Less real info than the Discraft tutorials, though they have a lot of commercial content as well.

^agreed. the dart?! lol. I mean yeah I feel you avery but for real? don't try to upsell like this is applebees.

They wanted to use examples though and not just a general disc term. Of course it's going to be an innova product it's a discmania youtube channel. I still think it's helpful and informative and gets the point across. Much better than those outdated discraft tutorials that have sport socks pulled up to the knees and the guy pushing a rattlr....I mean yeah a dart sucks but a rattlr? lol

Seemed more like an Innova commercial than an instructional video. Less real info than the Discraft tutorials, though they have a lot of commercial content as well.

^agreed. the dart?! lol. I mean yeah I feel you avery but for real? don't try to upsell like this is applebees.

I just wonder why doesn't Avery bag a "domey" dart? They sound great. Better than his roc even.

Yeah, (apologies if this comes off as dick-ish, but I'm going to be blunt for clarity's sake. Also this is my personal opinion and does not necessarily represent the views of Avery, Discmania, SpinTV, etc.) we don't pick our discs based on what is popular here on DGCR. We have a target demographic, and we suggest things based on a) concepts that we want to inform said demographic of, and b) the disc that will fit that description. We made no claims saying that it is the only disc that will work, or that you are required to throw said disc in order to be a successful golfer, we simply recommend what we think our target demographic can use to acclimate to the concept being taught most easily. I personally believe people should throw what they find the most success with. However, it truly baffles me that the company that by far gives the most back to the sport, and is by far the largest $$$ supporter of growth across multiple facets of the game, takes flak for someone suggesting their product is a good choice. :confused:

Now, if y'all come up with an actual reason for hating, let me know ;).

saw this earlier from discmania's twitter. I watched it and enjoyed it. Avery is a good guy to do these with. Had to laugh at one of the comments complaining about him only promoting Innova discs lol. Looking forward to part 2.

Great video. There's been quite a bit of negativity here on the forums regarding Avery, most of which is just plain mean and ridiculous. Avery is a great ambassador for our sport and he does a darn good job in his videos.

I'll agree. I'll admit I get heated when people throw him under the bus for fun. He's become a close friend of mine (and of my whole family...) because of the person, not the "disc golf celebrity" that he is. He's got real character, and a zeal for promoting the game like few others do.

Thanks both of you for taking the time to comment and share some love! There will always be a few haters, but they still tally up our view count so I love 'em anyway.

Production/CG is nice. Cameraman should invest in a reflector when filming subjects that insist on wearing hats 24/7.

The content isn't even worth talking about. SpinTV is 99% advertorial. Not sure why anybody would expect anything different.

Darts are great discs. Very under-rated. Dunipace putts with them I believe.

A couple of years ago a putted with the eco dart for quite a while and did very well with it. The only real reason I took it out was the glide, I was having issues dialing it in for approaches. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just went back to the wiz mainly because I liked it better for drives and approaches.

I think it was well done and professional. And I think it does a good job of explaining the basic concepts to new players - you know, the target audience. Of course it's going to look like an Innova ad....duh....and that's not a bad thing. Maybe it directs the retail store first timer to a shark and aviar instead of the groove. Maybe. :)

Good video. No hate from me. Let us know when part two is up.

And I think it does a good job of explaining the basic concepts to new players - you know, the target audience.
Just to play devil's advocate (for the sake of discussion and such, big assumptions incoming)...

I wonder if a video like this would be more suited to an in-store display in the disc golf section of a bigger retailer like Dick's? Basically the exact kind of place 'new players' go to purchase their first discs.

The SpinTV Youtube channel gets most of its limited views from the folks that populate boards like this (tournament video is their most viewed content). Are new players really finding things like this online? If only one does, was it worth it?

<turning devils advocate off>

discuss!

Now, if y'all come up with an actual reason for hating, let me know ;).

:clap::clap::clap:

i enjoyed the video even though i'm familiar with the concept of rotating molds. this is a hard concept for newbs to understand and a 7 minute video only begins to scratch the surface. that said i wish this video was around when i started playing.

re darts... i don't throw them but i know lots who do. they go were you point them. people need to stop hating around here.

Just to play devil's advocate (for the sake of discussion and such, big assumptions incoming)...

I wonder if a video like this would be more suited to an in-store display in the disc golf section of a bigger retailer like Dick's? Basically the exact kind of place 'new players' go to purchase their first discs.

The SpinTV Youtube channel gets most of its limited views from the folks that populate boards like this (tournament video is their most viewed content). Are new players really finding things like this online? If only one does, was it worth it?

<turning devils advocate off>

discuss!

Now this is a good idea.

Latest posts