• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building The Bag: Part 1 on SpinTV

RE: In-store ads

This is a fantastic idea, thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'm going to pass this up the chain to Jussi and see what he thinks.

I really like the QR code method (I'm a big fan of those).

If something like this happened, then I WOULD have to make some Innova ads.

Just bumping the thread for maximum exposure. McBeast Diaries just dropped, so check that out for an updated in the bag segment.

Next week should premiere Part 2 of BTB!

Didn't need all those cut shots of Avery throwing, seemed to be more filler then anything else. Love me some Innova but this was just a big ad. Not a lot of substance for the length of the video. Too much talk about particular molds. Who cares what the mold is, talk technique not equipment...

JTacoma03
Thanks.
A lot of people will get on here and talk about how you should have done it. But will THEY ever do something, anything? No.
Thanks for doing the video. It was watchable, professional, and enjoyable.
Regardless of where my game is right now, I wish that this type of video advice had been available when I started back in 2008.
Thanks for all your videos. It takes time and skill and I'm glad that you like doing these.
Thanks for doing more than talk. Thanks for making these vids happen.

If the other DGCR posters can do it better, we're all waiting...

Didn't need all those cut shots of Avery throwing, seemed to be more filler then anything else. Love me some Innova but this was just a big ad. Not a lot of substance for the length of the video. Too much talk about particular molds. Who cares what the mold is, talk technique not equipment...

You realize its called "Building a Bag" right? Last time I checked, you can't fill a bag with technique.

Some peoples needs glasses.

You realize its called "Building a Bag" right? Last time I checked, you can't fill a bag with technique.
:thmbup::D

I don't understand why people wouldn't support the videos on SpinTv. The way I see it is this can only help grow the sport we all love & help newer players understand more about it. Sure they recommend Innova discs but what company wouldn't recommend their line of discs? If you watch all the old Discraft videos the only discs they talk about & recommend are Discraft discs. Besides Innova discs are the most readily available, especially for newer players & people don't purchase discs online. Keep up the good work JTacoma03, many people talk of helping grow disc golf but you actually do it.

I enjoyed the video and can see how it would help people just getting into the sport and trying to figure out what the different types of discs do. That being said, I can see how it does come off as a bit of an infomercial for more experienced players. I've always liked videos Avery's done... Good presence on camera and easy to understand.

Thanks DiscJunkie, DiscinFiend, xlhammy for the support!

This video was the first out-of-the-box experiment that I wanted to do for SpinTV, so I'm glad to see it has a receptive audience. I'd like to develop more unique concepts that aren't just tournament-based videos and it seems like there is a need for them. Obviously they'll get more advanced and in-depth and be more useful to longtime disc golfers, but we need to build the basic foundations first. I'm open to any and all suggestions of things that people find interesting and would like to see. Feel free to PM me as well.

No closed captioning (cc) or subtitles, bummer.

To be honest, I've never seen it brought up before. Now that I think about it, we do have a large deaf disc golf population - is that what you're referencing? Or do you mean another language? If there's a demand for it we can definitely implement this.

Ok I tried to be quite understanding about the product placement but this one seems over the top lol. Much less content about the bag slots and just quick talking and throws with an all innova lineup. Not even some discmania molds. No AJ destroyer either?! The tern instead? That just seems like an obvious attempt and not plugging his disc. :D I still appreciate all the effort and content but this one really seemed to be an innova commercial above all else. There was very little talk about building a bag from the drivers angle.

isnt avery an innova guy? and i would think its safe to say someone is flipping the tab to produce these videos..........i wonder who it might be? advertising and marketing has changed. its not all television and radio anymore. and they are a little more sneeky with it . just cause its a social group or utube video, doesnt mean its not trying to sell something. and, its easier to reach out to your target audience. i am sure there is people on these forems pushing a product indirectly. my company recently had a face book push $$$ rewards for the most likes. hoping to get ther name in front of as many people as possible with out spending any money on marketing.

isnt avery an innova guy? and i would think its safe to say someone is flipping the tab to produce these videos..........i wonder who it might be? advertising and marketing has changed. its not all television and radio anymore. and they are a little more sneeky with it . just cause its a social group or utube video, doesnt mean its not trying to sell something. and, its easier to reach out to your target audience. i am sure there is people on these forems pushing a product indirectly. my company recently had a face book push $$$ rewards for the most likes. hoping to get ther name in front of as many people as possible with out spending any money on marketing.

Hey whitney houston.....:doh: read the entire thread. I was one of the few who acknowledged all of that during part one. This one is much more obvious though so I wanted to give an updated opinion. Of course no one expects Avery to push anything but Innova made discs but it is spinTV which is more associated with Discmania so you kind of expect him to throw out the FD during the fairway portion and not just leopard and teebird. The first part was part commercial and part instructional about what you need to build a bag. I don't feel that the second part had any bag building info it was just a short list of innova discs you should buy and build your bag around. Still content I enjoy them putting out but it's not really instructional in any way like the first one could be seen as. :thmbup:

Steeze, if you want better responses, you might think about changing how you phrase things. Instead of assuming that you know things, ask the questions first. I've always been very open to answering questions about the process and my involvement with SpinTV.

Just watched Part 2. Yes, of course there's going to be Innova products featured, and like Part 1, if you aren't a beginner, it's going to feel like an informercial of sorts.

That being said, Innova certainly has every right to create features for their products. It's solid marketing. And, in terms of useful info, there's nothing here that was blatantly misleading and wouldn't help someone make informed decisions on what types of discs they should look to carry to have a well balanced bag. They did a good job of highlight some neutral, beginner friendly discs that people could pick up and likely enjoy throwing right out of the gate.

Let's face it, Innova is the most widespread brand out there, and a lot of sporting good chains ONLY carry Innova discs (Dick's Sporting Goods, for example). So, if a video like this helps a new player make better selections and ultimately grow the sport, I view it as an everyone wins scenario. More than likely, that player will eventually get curious about other brands and molds.

Sure, there's no AJ Star Destroyer on there. You put that disc in beginner hands, and they are more than likely to get discouraged when everything is a meathook. Lots of folks are introduced to the sport with some beater hand me down discs and might have no clue on where to start when walking into a shop where they could easily be overwhelmed by all the choices.

Between parts 1 and two, I think it gives people a base to start from. If they hit up the Innova site, they'll learn more about the flight ratings, and there's recommendations on the breakdown for each of these discs that identify where to go from that mold if they want more turn, glide, speed and fade.

Personally, I started with Innova discs, but have gravitated to other brands and molds just on personal preference. But, understanding those Innova ratings gave me a great base to start from and go from there, and could help others all the same.

I think it's important to judge a feature like this on it's intent. Product marketing is a given. Aside from that, it served it's purpose in providing an introduction to putters, mids, fairways and DD classifications and made some suggestions in each area that the average beginner is likely to see results with and be able to build on. And, Avery got to promote his brand too. So, I'd say mission accomplished on all fronts. So, really, where's the harm here?

Again, if it grows the sport, it's a win for everyone. Nice job JTacoma03.

Steeze, if you want better responses, you might think about changing how you phrase things. Instead of assuming that you know things, ask the questions first. I've always been very open to answering questions about the process and my involvement with SpinTV.

I wasn't looking for a response from you. I simply posted the second part to give my opinion on it. Isn't that what the message board is for? Isn't that why you posted this thread, to illicit feedback? I don't think I need to change my phrasing I'm perfectly fine with my bluntness and honesty.

I responded to his reply that I should have expected Avery to push Innova products. If he had read my response on page one I was one of few who commented to that and gave a positive response to the content. I enjoyed the content of the first one I thought it balanced advertisement with instruction quite well. I didn't think that was achieved so well in part two so I gave that opinion. Am I somehow not allowed to do that now that it's not all positive?

I went out of my way to say twice I still appreciate the effort and content. I do. It's not like every company is doing this so it's a good thing no matter how much of an advertisement it is. I simply don't find part 2 to be as good as part one in the instructional and informational aspects. What question am I supposed to have asked you? I didn't have a question. I had an opinion. I also don't know what you claim I'm assuming. I watched the video. I gave my opinion on these videos. What are you referring to? What was this question I could've asked and gotten the answer to? What is so wrong about my phrasing? Why are you coming off as offended by my opinion? I already said I appreciate the work and series. What more can you possibly expect from me? :|

FWIW Steeze, I didn't have a problem with what you posted. Agreed, not as much instructional.

Something I'd add onto the instructional point... I found some instructional vids awhile back from Avery (don't recall where), but in a recent comparison video I saw where his form was compared to an Ultimate player, I noticed he had changed his form somewhat. Maybe an area of future videos with him to get a refresh on his technique and form. Maybe a beginner vid and then a fine-tuning/troubleshooting one for the Intermediate to Advanced crowd.

Latest posts