• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Burned by organized DG

I play plenty of casual rounds and also enjoy tournaments and organized doubles. One of the biggest turnoffs to a casual round is the abundance of chuckers who don't seem to care about those around them. I got stuck behind six one disc shirtless bros the other day who were hooting and hollering and constantly searching for lost discs. While three would look, the others would wander the fairway like stoned zombies, oblivious to those of us waiting to throw. In a tournament, I know that I don't have to worry about idiots throwing at me, playing loud music, or leaving empty beer cans all over the place. That's also why I'm pro-P2P with a dress code. Elitist? You bet your bippy I am.

I'm starting to lean toward p2p as well. Schumaker always has tons of the most asinine chunkers during college season. Go up the road to trap pond and they charge $8 for a car to park. Never ever seen chunkers.

Horsebridge put foot golf a bit after disc golf. For some reason those same kind of people will pay $3 to kick a ball around in hoards. You'd swear these people were wasted. Hollering and going crazy. I used to play there like twice a week at $10 bucks for a cart but after the kickers came I just stopped. I still go to monthlies and such but it's just not worth it to me anymore. I'm sure he makes more money now but think he lost a bit of regular golf and disc golf business who don't wanna hear them screaming from across the course.

Depending where you live at, there may be multiple clubs that work for you. Try many leagues out and see which ones work for you. I used to play leagues every day of the week and tourneys often too. As time went on many of the leagues have people cycle in and out and before I knew it a couple of the leagues I knew a handful of the people and many of the newer players were very young and threw discs and were negative when shots didn't work out. I mainly just play a local Wednesday league which turned into not so local that I have moved 25 minutes away. The other club I like in Minnesota is a south metro one called flight club. I like clubs that work with cities and put money and effort into making courses nice. They all tend to put on events, they are large and encourage new members. Sets a good example for others on the course.

In reguards to the MFA(Minnesota frisbee association) I have to agree with aim, it's a small clique that does not seem to care about anyone outside the small circle they choose to be. The way the group was many years ago is the complete opposite of what it has become as of late. I have many times been asked to join and as long as it's like the current state, I will never join.

I tend to avoid drunks and felons and my local DG league isn't a real attractive slice of humanity; I've found the 'vibe' has sort of sucked alot of the life out of our local courses in the last couple of years.

Anyone else get tired of the leagues, minis, and tourneys? I got into DG for the zen relaxation and became involved with a local club after about a year. The competition is getting more intense than I really want to deal with so I am taking a break from the guys for a while. I like them personally and I have improved as a player because of them, but trash talking and questionable scorekeeping make it not fun. I love how throwing a disc makes me feel, but worrying about a score takes the fun away.
I'm going to continue as a supporting member of the club because it does many things to improve the local courses. Has anyone else experienced this or am I alone?

Last edited:
I'm a newbie as my tag shows to this sport. I've played all kinds of competitive sports throughout my life and this is another I can see myself getting into competitively, but I'll say this. You'll always have competition and a drive to be better than the next person out there because let's face it's in our nature to be competitive. You always want to improve and get better and competition is a way to judge that. I recently asked my cousin who plays a lot about his tag hanging off his bag. He said it's a fun way to play competitively and it's something to play for. He used to get into it and care, but anymore he puts it away because there's too many people that that's all they care about. But when you look at what it is, it means nothing. Any day anyone can have a bad day and lose. Does it mean you or I are better? No, but it's a competition that some people take too serious instead of what it was made for. Fun.

I've drifted in and out of organized play over the years, and although it can be fun, I prefer casual rounds with friends and family.

Not quite the history thrembo has, but this about sums it up for me. I still play in a tournament or 2, but more of the "fun" types. Ice Bowl, Circuit Series, Ace Race, etc. And I play in the doubles league once or twice a season, but more for the social aspects than the competition. And the Empire State Senior Games is an annual must play.

But if I had to pick a kind of round to play it's with my wife, sons, grandkids. Being retired I even prefer the solo rounds during the weekdays to competitive play.

The competition can become a drag after awhile. I've got a couple of really good friends I play with and we play for fun. None of us are pro material but we do pretty well. We like to joke and have fun over the hardcore gotta win mentality. We do challenge ourselves as we have an unofficial championship the winner gets to keep till the next time we play and we do keep score however its so much more laid back and there isn't any hard feelings.
Sometimes I just gotta get out on the course alone and enjoy the sport as well.

I stopped playing for 4 years because I didn't enjoy playing anymore...casual or tournys. Last summer I picked it up again and enjoy casual solo rounds the most...especially when nobody else is around (certain courses or time of day). So serene and relaxing compared to a tourney round of hurry up and wait. This year though leagues has burned me out, 4 hours for 24 holes. I'm just not that into it anymore, I love just getting out and playing quicker paced rounds that don't take up my whole day. I hate not being able to guess how long it will take to finish with bigger groups, but when i'm on my own I can control the pace and time spent. Some days I get only 9 holes in, but I went with a specific focus of working on form, etc.. Nothing worse than a 4 group backup at a tourney. Like mentioned, its not a main hobby for me at all either.

Yeah it is definetly a time consuming thing, organized play. I remember when just playing a one day two round local tourney that it would kill my weekend.

I think really most people just can't commit that type of time. I love throwing a frisbee and keep coming back to organized play for inspiration and to meet people.

But I would have to say most of my rounds are now solo. So much quicker and easier.

I really see a big weakness in how we do organized play. The rules need to adapt to this so rounds don't drag on.

Thier is a better way I think.

Yeah it is definetly a time consuming thing, organized play. I remember when just playing a one day two round local tourney that it would kill my weekend.

I think really most people just can't commit that type of time. I love throwing a frisbee and keep coming back to organized play for inspiration and to meet people.

But I would have to say most of my rounds are now solo. So much quicker and easier.

I really see a big weakness in how we do organized play. The rules need to adapt to this so rounds don't drag on.

Thier is a better way I think.

Agreed, I could commit more time but that means giving up other things like time with my wife, dogs, and just sitting around to relax.

I have only played league a few times, and have yet to play a tournament.

The times with the league were just the result of my being in the right place at the right/wrong time. I was there to play by myself and league was about to start, so I joined in. I liked meeting some new people, learned a few things, but the round taking twice as long, paying money to play when I would not have otherwise (especially when there was no way I would have a shot at a payout), and the noisiness of some of the players, were annoyances that almost offset the good side of the experiences. Living in a new area, I may do some league play in order to learn new courses and meet people, but almost certainly won't make a practice of it.

The high prices and long time commitments of tournaments have kept me away. I may try to play some shorter, less expensive ones some time, and would be interested in something like the MVP Circuit. Otherwise, I'll stick to playing alone (where I can move faster, or slower, when I wish), with my wife (where the speed is also variable and I will enjoy the company), or with friends (where the company will be enjoyable).

This is for fun, not an ego boost, and I only want to compete with myself, plus I prefer to play on my schedule....

Latest posts