• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calculating Fun by Rating for Courses

For the vast majority of players a 5000 ft semi-open course is already challenging.
But perhaps not overly so, to the point of taking the fun out of it.

Since the overwhelming majority of disc golfers don't have a rating, but would be sub 910,I have to disagree. It's a very small %.

i don't know how these courses got their 4+ rating with it not being fun for them(sub 910).

Here's the breakdown for HOLE # 1 at our last tournament.
Par 4-426 feet. MPO.
3-4S,6-5s,2-6s,1-7,1-8. Fun or no fun ?

Impossible to say. Who am i playing it with? What is the weather? How is the view? Which side of the bed did I get out of that morning? Fun is going to be defined differently for every single one of us. While there are some commonalities which contribute in the end it is in the eye of the beholder.

Does kind of look like a Par 5 for that group of players from the scores (only tangentially related to fun). I assume huge uphill?

Uphill only for first 170 then basically level dogleg left. The biggest challenge being the basket location. Hole is usually split into 2 holes...to make it more Fun.

Last edited:
Challenges that can be occasionally to frequently overcome can be fun.

Agreed. Variable ratio reinforcement schedules are very powerful (see: gambling).

Distances on holes beyond your capability, water carries with lost disc potential, overall course length requiring 70+ throws for your skill level and courses that take too long (in your mind) to play (crowded, constantly searching for discs/losing them) are challenges difficult or impossible to overcome reducing the fun potential.

Hmm. Agree that too-long holes, too-long water carries, crowded courses, and constantly searching for discs are not fun.

But I disagree about courses that require 70+ throws. I am delighted to score less than 70 on some of my favorite and most-played courses. This may not be typical, of course.

And I am confused - are you saying there is such a thing as spending too much time playing disc golf? ;)

Here's the breakdown for HOLE # 1 at our last tournament.
Par 4-426 feet. MPO.
3-4S,6-5s,2-6s,1-7,1-8. Fun or no fun ?

Based on old pics, hole #1 looks like it would be a blast to play.

But I'm a sub-910 player who loves playing hard courses and multi-shot holes. And I have met quite a few folks on this site with similar tastes (again, perhaps not typical).

I'm a sub-910 player who loves playing hard courses and multi-shot holes. And I have met quite a few folks on this site with similar tastes (again, perhaps not typical).

*raises hand emphatically*
I'd say this describes most of the 80 DGCR members I've played with, including myself.

...not to mention many folks who come out of the woodwork to play Toboggan when it's open.

Enjoyment is different than Fun. I enjoy all my tournaments rounds but they are not "Fun". To me "fun" means not caring, no stress, laughing, playfulness which doesn't really belong in tournament rounds.

Fun
noun
1. what provides amusement or enjoyment
(Merriam Webster)

Hey, if he can make a distinction that's meaningful to him, who am I (or Merriam Webster) to argue?

But I'm not sure it extends to what tournaments are supposed to be, for everyone else.

Based on old pics, hole #1 looks like it would be a blast to play.

But I'm a sub-910 player who loves playing hard courses and multi-shot holes. And I have met quite a few folks on this site with similar tastes (again, perhaps not typical).
The point I keep trying to get across is that active DGCR members are not your average bear...regardless of their rating.

Does kind of look like a Par 5 for that group of players from the scores (only tangentially related to fun). I assume huge uphill?[/QUOTE]
Making a 426 foot par 4 into a par 5 for MPO ? The 974 who won the tournament took a 5 and the 969 who finished second took an 8.

Last edited:
Calculating fun by rating should start at courses rated at 3.5 and include courses between 3 and 4, and ranked by % favorited. That's where the fun is !

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...

But I think 4.0 and up is where the real fun is.

Latest posts