• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can anyone throw 500'?

Knew this local high school coach around where I live and everyone he coached who didn't give up could throw 90 mph including his own kids one of which was adopted. I had firsthand knowledge of his training methods and it was hard, hard work and discipline. Seeing that has always motivated me to believe anything is possible if I work hard and have the right discipline.

Can anyone throw 500 feet? Maybe the question should be- can any male who is not too old and not limited by physical disabilities throw 500 feet? Yes, if they work hard at it and have the right discipline. The distance would have to be different for women as they are limited by physical ability.

I stopped watching at about 2:30

First off, is your title a joke or troll that went over my head? does MPH have anything to do with distance? Does it matter what speed a pitcher in baseball throws a breaking ball if it crosses the plate as a strike?

I highly doubt I've thrown a disc 90mph but I'd bet my childs life I've thrown a disc 500' - just sayin'

I know you know I respect your information and opinion(s) on DGCR, that's why I'm confused.

I stopped watching at about 2:30

First off, is your title a joke or troll that went over my head? does MPH have anything to do with distance? Does it matter what speed a pitcher in baseball throws a breaking ball if it crosses the plate as a strike?

I highly doubt I've thrown a disc 90mph but I'd bet my childs life I've thrown a disc 500' - just sayin'

I know you know I respect your information and opinion(s) on DGCR, that's why I'm confused.
If you stopped the vid at 2:30 then you missed his joke. I thought the video was well laid out and relative to the endless debates on here about what it takes to get to elite distance in regards to age, size, genetics, mechanics, and training.

I'd say a 90mph fastball is about equivalent to throwing a disc 500' which would be roughly 70mph.

Can anyone dunk?
A5dkf3F.png

Is that...in4d...coming out of MikeC's closet...to dunk?

I'll have to watch the rest of that video. I was on x1.5 but maybe I'll switch to x2.0 for my own sanity. Seemed like a nutrition ad on Youtube or something, idk

I get the confusion. Ultimately disc speed does dictate distance, but throwing a disc has more nuance than a ball. Not that one is easier or harder, just they are different.

I'd say that throwing a baseball 90 mph requires a much more consistent and linear set of mechanics than throwing a disc 500'.

But the point is potential plus effort to reach potential are critical factors.

It is a pretty interesting video.

I've got a really good friend that played D1 ball, was drafted, and is now a college pitching coach. He worked with all kinds of trainers to hit 90 (because that would have made him a lot more money) and never could quite get there. I think he could touch 89 and sit on about 86. Universally praised for his mechanics, but short and stocky with short levers even for his height.

One of the slides from that presentation touched on basically all the heated discussion around here recently. I thought it was a funny coincidence.

Factor's affecting velocity ceiling:
Playing History
Lever length/height
Mechanical efficiency
Training

Seems like all four of those have been argued about or brought up recently, and it's just kind of the order in which you should consider them that's been up for debate. Surprise, surprise, you need to think about / work on all of them?

After watching it, that slide is basically the table of contents for the presentation. Maybe not coincidental at all, almost like sw22 posted it for a reason...

What can you change/fix versus what you cannot control?

90 or 500 are upper tier metrics, but just the entry point of which many can achieve or at least approach.

That said, I think 90 is much more rarified feat than 500. Maybe 600' would be a better equivalent.

Knew this local high school coach around where I live and everyone he coached who didn't give up could throw 90 mph including his own kids one of which was adopted. I had firsthand knowledge of his training methods and it was hard, hard work and discipline. Seeing that has always motivated me to believe anything is possible if I work hard and have the right discipline.

Can anyone throw 500 feet? Maybe the question should be- can any male who is not too old and not limited by physical disabilities throw 500 feet? Yes, if they work hard at it and have the right discipline. The distance would have to be different for women as they are limited by physical ability.

This statement completely contradicts what you previously said, which was:

all the other kids parents on your sons baseball team hired professional coaches to teach their kids to throw. However you couldn't afford a professional coach so you taught him to throw by yourself.

Not with the help of the HS baseball coach or his knowledge, you taught him, yourself.

You seem to do this alot.

Any links on this dude?

Because the most renown coaches in the world aren't getting every pro pitcher to that number.

I thought this was a good summary of these items and definitely see likely correlation in DG. Humeral retroversion is interesting. There are physical changes that our bodies go through for high rep, specialized activities and I would imagine that applies to throwing a disc. Of course there is a combination of technique/mechanics, genetics, reps, age, access to coaching that works for you which apply to a skill like this.

I often wonder if my distance improvements are from reps or improvements in technique. Sometimes its hard to determine.

I feel like my floor continuously slowly improves and is initially related to technique but more on reps once you get the basic technique down. My ceiling seems more variable and bounces around more day to day and I think is more related to dialed in mechanics. I feel like my floor is 350' now (bad driver throw) with a 400' ceiling but even when my floor was more like 330', I could still occasionally hit 400'. Ceiling is probably naturally more variable and likely lags floor improvement.

Any links on this dude?

Because the most renown coaches in the world aren't getting every pro pitcher to that number.

I don't think so. Me and him didn't really get along at all. He snubbed my son/ had him snubbed from a few showcase teams (politics). I did like his coaching style though of intense physical workout.

Would be nice to have athlete X who starts at 40... I asked a local pro who is 42 and played for 20 years how much distance he lost and he thought around 50'. Is there good data on pitcher decline with age excluding Roger Clemons?

I thought this was a good summary of these items and definitely see likely correlation in DG. Humeral retroversion is interesting. There are physical changes that our bodies go through for high rep, specialized activities and I would imagine that applies to throwing a disc. Of course there is a combination of technique/mechanics, genetics, reps, age, access to coaching that works for you which apply to a skill like this.

I often wonder if my distance improvements are from reps or improvements in technique. Sometimes its hard to determine.

I feel like my floor continuously slowly improves and is initially related to technique but more on reps once you get the basic technique down. My ceiling seems more variable and bounces around more day to day and I think is more related to dialed in mechanics. I feel like my floor is 350' now (bad driver throw) with a 400' ceiling but even when my floor was more like 330', I could still occasionally hit 400'. Ceiling is probably naturally more variable and likely lags floor improvement.

I would argue that distance improvements are mostly physical effort and reps and partially technique.

Most people don't account for physical effort and reps because it happens so slowly thst over time it still feels like the same effort only the discs go farther. They think it must be improved mechanics. Saw this all the time in coaching baseball after a long winter. It would take several weeks and sometimes a few months of throwing for pitchers to get their velocity back up to where it was the previous year. It wasnt that their mechanics changed, it was that their muscular ability hadn't come back yet.

The average disc golfer I know doesn't really put in enough reps and work on effort to throw farther. They generally have good mechanics but because they lack the reps and effort they never throw really far. It's analogous to the pitcher coming off a long winter and sees his velocity down, gets discouraged or complacent, and never works on his effort and never really improves his velocity much from year to year.

Obviously an oversimplification but I would speculate that for the average male at 25 who just started playing and actively works on quality reps and improvement, the distribution would follow something like:
Sitting at 300' -> 90% mechanics, 10% reps
300-400' -> 50% mechanics, 50% reps
400-500' -> 30% mechanics, 70% reps -> personally think we are starting to get out of the "average male" limitations in this tier but I also disagree that anyone can throw 90. Could be a good concept for a reality TV show...

Just poppin in to say that there is an obvious increase in throw height as you increase distance. Alot of players seem to forget that. Just recently I was doing field work with a bud who can throw 350+ low disc golf shots all day long. He was happy his discs were landing flat, sliding, etc. I told him I could magically get him to 400 in one sentence. I simply said "release the disc higher". It worked. I forget where I read it, maybe one of the gurus can chime in but I think a max distance flight path looks similar to a question mark. ?

Obviously an oversimplification but I would speculate that for the average male at 25 who just started playing and actively works on quality reps and improvement, the distribution would follow something like:
Sitting at 300' -> 90% mechanics, 10% reps
300-400' -> 50% mechanics, 50% reps
400-500' -> 30% mechanics, 70% reps -> personally think we are starting to get out of the "average male" limitations in this tier but I also disagree that anyone can throw 90. Could be a good concept for a reality TV show...

I'm wondering if your progression assumes the thrower has learned good mechanics early on, and the reps later are assumed to be using that good form learned at first?

Speaking of "Good mechanics", how far must a person be able to throw to where people will generally agree that they must have "Good mechanics" to throw that far?

Latest posts