• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can anyone throw 500'?

My opinion on this comes down to accuracy always trumps distance. Being able to control the disc and your line and height far more impresses me than someone's ability to throw 600 feet.

It all depends on what one means by "distance". It's certainly true that max distance doesn't perfectly line up with tournament outcome. Ohn Scoggins is an easy example to illustrate this. Certainly, when it comes to playing my best in a tournament round, I'm going for throws that result in the highest likelihood of a better score.

But if (hypothetically) I throw 400 and you throw 300 and we are playing a hole that is 370, your best score is a 3 (absent a very unlikely throw in). I have the potential to get a reasonable putt for the 2. Even if I'm off the fairway, I can still very likely scramble for the 3. It takes quite a bit of accuracy difference to make up for the advantage that distance gives.

On the other hand, if there are no holes that play longer than 330, my distance advantage isn't worth much, or perhaps it doesn't look like a distance advantage. It really only manifests as an accuracy advantage, because I can throw more controlled shot, potentially with slower discs.

So distance means "distance that gives more birdie and eagle chances". It doesn't mean whoever wins the distance contest before the tournament should be favored in the tournament.

It all depends on what one means by "distance". It's certainly true that max distance doesn't perfectly line up with tournament outcome. Ohn Scoggins is an easy example to illustrate this. Certainly, when it comes to playing my best in a tournament round, I'm going for throws that result in the highest likelihood of a better score.

But if (hypothetically) I throw 400 and you throw 300 and we are playing a hole that is 370, your best score is a 3 (absent a very unlikely throw in). I have the potential to get a reasonable putt for the 2. Even if I'm off the fairway, I can still very likely scramble for the 3. It takes quite a bit of accuracy difference to make up for the advantage that distance gives.

On the other hand, if there are no holes that play longer than 330, my distance advantage isn't worth much, or perhaps it doesn't look like a distance advantage. It really only manifests as an accuracy advantage, because I can throw more controlled shot, potentially with slower discs.

So distance means "distance that gives more birdie and eagle chances". It doesn't mean whoever wins the distance contest before the tournament should be favored in the tournament.

Well, You'd have to specify, "Max controlled distance"

Cause I understand the argument you're making and you're not wrong, but the people who generally make this argument to me don't understand navigating a course, they just think "big distance = win"

A consistent golfer is far more scary and you should be scared of them.

Lets use the 370 example.

And were going to use average players here.

We got Guy, Steve. Throws 300 and can land it on the dot every time.
And we got Todd. Todd is a hot shot and likes everyone to know he throws 400 feet.

What Todd doesn't' tell anyone that 400 feet is max pull and everything he's got.

So todd and steve are on a card, the hole is wide open.

Steve slayed the last hole like a surgeon and steps up and throws 350 feet parking circle 1 on the basket.
Todd, not to be out done, steps up and gives it a max rip landing circle 2 60 feet from the basket.

This is one of those dumb area's of the argument.

300 controlled, not 300 max.

But even for the whole sake of everything. Yes, if you can accurately throw 400 vs 300, uhh hell yeah, you're going to do better. Just average golfers don't throw 400 feet accurately. Above average golfers sort of throw 400 accurate. That's really where it boils down to. The more Pro level you are, the more consistent and accurate you are. Top players don't win cause they have big distance.

This is a funny thing I always get amused on. Eagle will do like really good for 1 tournament, and everyone is like "omg eagle is so good, he's going to win everything."

Eagle is good, and no he's not. The only way eagle will win everything is if all the courses are wide open distance courses. He's an absolutely astonishing player, but he's not consistent and accurate.

So, at the end of the day, if you control your shots and you can slay the course in your ability, you just rely on the "big arm" guy trying to park the holes and get the max D to make mistakes as you just casually do your thing and beat him.

I've watched the old 80's golfers do this here so many times with the younger guys and take their money. Though, it does help that the old guys bang chains from like 80 and in very consistently. hahaha

I will say this I do think people are throwing farther these days. I know 3 1000 rated players personally and they all throw 500ft+ BH 400+ft FH with one of them throwing 600ft backhand (placed 5th at worlds distance comp).

I think with the treasure trove of videos on YouTube especially younger athletic players are crushing.

I will say this I do think people are throwing farther these days. I know 3 1000 rated players personally and they all throw 500ft+ BH 400+ft FH with one of them throwing 600ft backhand (placed 5th at worlds distance comp).

I think with the treasure trove of videos on YouTube especially younger athletic players are crushing.

With people coaching and learning form like we discuss in here all the time, the massive amount of video content to learn from on the internet and younger people getting into the sport earlier, we will see more and more of that.

As well as the technology of frisbee's now days is insane.

The old timers were throwing pretty far long time ago though, dont let it fool you. But the thing is, only a few people were throwing really far.

Now even with crappy form and a lot of brute force, you can throw 400 to 450.

I used to throw further when I muscled and had awful form. But I also blew my shoulder out 2 times doing that. (bad shoulder to start with)

The unfortunate model of learning though comes down to people not listening to me vs the guy who threw 50 feet further than me.
Because they don't realize I am using maybe 1/4 of the effort/energy that the other person did to throw poorly. But omg, distance.
Yeah, dude, you force flexed a stiletto.
I just threw a 9 speed almost as far as you with 0 effort.

Looks like we're getting more and more arms in the 70mph+ range and even pushing or exceeding 80mph. Crazy.

igkst7vzijea1.png

Link to reddit post

Based on those numbers, a projected 70mph throw for the women would go 494 feet and men 559 feet.

Based on those numbers, a projected 70mph throw for the women would go 494 feet and men 559 feet.

Based on those numbers I see something different. Speed is not everything.
Kristaian Kuoksa threw 10 mph faster than Gurthie yet was 117 shorter in distance.

And to a lesser extent Beach threw 5 mph faster than Allen yet was still 5 feet shorter.

I found it interesting the women threw slightly longer in the finials yet the men's numbers drop lock a rock with the exception of Wiggins.

The 'weird' thing I get from that chart is with the Open Finalists. There's a big drop off in distance from the qualifier to the final for everyone BUT David Wiggins, Jr. He actually increased his distance by 14 feet. The next closest dropped 32 feet of distance.

I found it interesting the women threw slightly longer in the finials yet the men's numbers drop lock a rock with the exception of Wiggins.

I watched the event and there was a significant change in the wind from the qualifiers to the finals. Qualifiers and women's finals had a tail and the men's finals had a head wind.

^^So many variables right? The wind speed/direction could have been different if the finals took place later in the day. Not everyone who did well in qualifying would have made the ideal adjustment.

edit: looks like bryant can confirm the suspicion

Gonna need to see more math...

I was hoping you would pop in and provide your analysis!

I just took women's total distance (1st round only) divided by the total of their mph, then multiplied by 70… 3554 /504*70 = 493.61. Men… 14,713/1841*70 = 559.43.

i just watched Ella Hanson throw 552ft in the 2022 US Distance championship! "I wish i could still throw around 300ft!"

The wind was very different for the final round, almost a headwind. Add the stupid OB and it get's really hard to pull of a proper distance shot. So many discs either flipped and rolled or hit OB. Would be nice to see them compete on an actual open field.

I can't believe Tamm threw 710ft non 360. 600ft is a "big boy" throw and he just goes and throws it another 100ft.

I can't believe Tamm threw 710ft non 360. 600ft is a "big boy" throw and he just goes and throws it another 100ft.

Seriously, look at this beaut

With some of the way the ladies are progressing we might one day need to update 600ft to "big person" throw... it always appears to me that there's more mechanical variability in top FPO right now. Hard to know where the ceiling is. If you start putting Paige Pierce level form into your Ellas and Holyns, that's going to be sick!

one of our local pros was in that distance comp throwing 632. Here is a video I took of him a few weeks ago hitting a 600ft drive:

never gets old seeing the disc move that fast IRL!

Seriously, look at this beaut

With some of the way the ladies are progressing we might one day need to update 600ft to "big person" throw... it always appears to me that there's more mechanical variability in top FPO right now. Hard to know where the ceiling is. If you start putting Paige Pierce level form into your Ellas and Holyns, that's going to be sick!

Paige has some great mechanics, but her throw is pure violence.

She's literally putting every ounce of her tiny frame into the shot. It's not sustainable long term.