• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can Scott Stokely compete in the Open division against McBeth & Wysocki in 2015?

What's impressive to me is at his age he's gonna lace up the shoes, put his game face on, and think "game on mother f******"

I'm a fan already. Good luck Scotty.

This. I don't care how he ends the season--I just want to watch him in the attempt.

I liked Scott every time I met him but as this statement points out, he couldn't beat "klimo" consistently back in their day so I doubt he can now. Which means no to the top pros.

I don't know Scott from Adam. I am not defending/supporting him. Here is my 2 cents.

Dub, this thought process makes no sense. I will translate this to modern times of today or just a few years from now....

Well Pro X, Y, or Z, could not beat McBeast years ago, SO there is no hope for them to win against him now ( or in the future ) ? Just quit and save yourself the trouble of being beaten. :\

I like the Beast and enjoy seeing his dominance in the game.:thmbup:

People/Athletes are not robots, no one is perfect 100% of the time (sometime robots aren't either). You know this because you are a very experienced player and have learned a few things on the course during your 30+ years in the game :D.

Last edited:
With Johne's tour last year showing what the "old guys" can do, I'll be interested to see how Scott steps up. If he has a strong season, all the talk (when it comes up) about McBeth's titles carrying more weight because of the level of competition may fall flat.

I don't anticipate a McCray type splash onto the National Tour(ing scene), but he will get much better than the level he is at right now. I'd say staying healthy will be key.

I look forward to playing with him at some point.

Not his first tournament back. He showed up to the PODS Finale and managed last cash after a horrible first round. He has it in him to play well. Too inconsistent to compete at this point. But, that could change.

He also played states in 09 or 10, I didn't play but if I recall he was competitive. I think once he turns it on he will be as competitive as any 1010-1020 rated player. Pretty big gap in consistanct between there and 1030+

I don't anticipate a McCray type splash onto the National Tour(ing scene), but he will get much better than the level he is at right now. I'd say staying healthy will be key.

I look forward to playing with him at some point.

I am sure you will play with him.

I agree staying healthy is key, also I hope he is not banking on cashing and his disc company to pay % 100 tour expenses.

I don't know Scott from Adam. I am not defending/supporting him. Here is my 2 cents.

Dub, this thought process makes no sense. I will translate this to modern times of today or just a few years from now....

Well Pro X, Y, or Z, could not beat McBeast years ago, SO there is no hope for them to win against him now ( or in the future ) ? Just quit and save yourself the trouble of being beaten. :\

I like the Beast and enjoy seeing his dominance in the game.:thmbup:

People/Athletes are not robots, no one is perfect 100% of the time (sometime robots aren't either). You know this because you are a very experienced player and have learned a few things on the course during your 30+ years in the game :D.

I said nothing about Scott quitting. If I were to bet money on this I would bet against Scott going against the top pros. Number of reasons for that, one being he hasn't been on the tour like the others have. Climo has been playing all this time and he can't beat the top pros, why would someone who has not been playing all this time be able to beat them?

My comment was nothing about Scott quitting. :)

I liked Scott every time I met him but as this statement points out, he couldn't beat "klimo" consistently back in their day so I doubt he can now. Which means no to the top pros.

Back in the day Johnne couldn't beat scott much less klimo, now he is rated 10pts higher or more.

Scott Stokely Has Returned!

I read in my wall how Scott Stokely was announcing he is back on tour this year and he has launched some new discs! They are currently being reviewed by the PDGA.
I wrote a little about it at discgolfaddiction.com
Regards,
TooNA

I have been PMing him on facebook and asking him questions for my blog at discgolfaddiction.com. He is currently in Sanford NC competing. If he applies himself I have a feeling we will be reading more about him.

Two things on Scott's potential to contend, one plus, one minus. On the plus side, if he still has the distance, competition courses are longer. In addition, having a decent length forehand is more important than the 90s. I believe both of these skills helped Doss in 2005 unseat the reigning accurate RHBH Roc bombers, Climo and Schultz whose games were well honed for the courses played during their dominance.

On the negative side, a question will be if Scott can improve his elite level putting under pressure. That's a particular strength of our elite players with McBeth showing that time and again. Here's a throwback link to the 1999 World Championship Finals featuring Climo, Schultz, Stokely and winner Ron Russell. You can see Scott struggle a bit with putting on this top level stage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmH0J1ODU4

I wish him the best of luck with a tough challenge ahead. I got paired with him in a random draw dubs event and it was a blast playing with him and seeing some very cool shots with a monster roller my favorite.

Here's a throwback link to the 1999 World Championship Finals featuring Climo, Schultz, Stokely and winner Ron Russell. You can see Scott struggle a bit with putting on this top level stage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmH0J1ODU4

Struggle a bit? I don't think Stokely hit a single putt in that round save for relative drop-ins. That video was the first time I ever saw "elite" players and Stokely's putting difficulties in that round stood out to me as much or more than anything else, including Barry's remarkable 3 on the 900+ foot hole. Really underlined how distance can get you only so far (but still pretty far considering that was the final 9 at Worlds after all) but the game is won and lost in the putting game.

I hope to see Scott succeed with his comeback, and success doesn't necessarily have to include beating the likes of McBeth and Wysocki. Being competitive and consistently cashing on "tour" at his age is a success in itself.

Well, I got to see him at a few months back at Lunacy in Longmont, which I believe was his first tournament on the "road back" such as it is. Obviously I play Ams so I didn't watch him the whole weekend but I saw him on Sunday.

He took 2nd to Joe Rovere, who is the top pro in the state. Joe also does well on the national stage (crushed it at the Maple Hill Open and hung with/beat many of the "Big names") and is someone I consider the "second tier" of pros. To wit, he is an awesome player who is capable of beating the top guys when everything clicks.

Joe bested Scott by seven strokes. Therefore, in my very non-academic opinion, I would say Scott can hang on the national stage and even keep up. It's possibly he could win one over the top dogs. But he likely won't be able to do it consistently.

However Scott is very much about the fun factor, and I can guarantee no matter how he places he will be out there having fun.

I would say Joe is in the top tier of of all current pros, period. he doesn't make a lot of Facebook noise nor promote himself at every opportunity, but for him to be so highly ranked and competitive and still maintain a profession as a full time science teacher speaks volumes.

I'll argue with you if you want. He's not a top tier pro because he doesn't best the usual suspects on a regular basis. Period. I'm not insulting him. He's a fantastic player (not a great attitude during competition though) but he's not top tier. Yes, he has a wife and child. Yes he's a full time teacher. But that totally irrelevant.

Nevertheless, I think Scott Stokely can hang with the Joe Rovere ' s of the world. That puts him at an extremely high level in the disc golf world. Period.

Yes, he has a wife and child. Yes he's a full time teacher. But that totally irrelevant.

Nope. Why do you think the young studs are as good as they are?

No wife.

No kids.

ALL the time in the world to throw discs all day.

And disc golf IS their full time job.

He also played states in 09 or 10, I didn't play but if I recall he was competitive. I think once he turns it on he will be as competitive as any 1010-1020 rated player. Pretty big gap in consistanct between there and 1030+

Yes, that was 2010 at Beaver Ranch and Bailey. I am pretty sure he played there because he was also able to convince Mr. Lahm to play as well. Lahm was so much better and might still be at the present time. Scott can get there and the fact that he appears to be taking it seriously and putting in training time in warmer climates bodes well for him.

I'll just throw this out there: after the Fall Harvest, I told people that my best round on the first course would have put me on Scott's card for the second round.

Is there a single grandmaster+ aged player competing with the top pros? Are any of our legends like Crazy or Greenwell or Hosfeld or the likes competing with the top pros today?

Is this really a serious question?

Is there a single grandmaster+ aged player competing with the top pros? Are any of our legends like Crazy or Greenwell or Hosfeld or the likes competing with the top pros today?

Is this really a serious question?

Who's talking about Grandmaster+ aged players? Scott Stokely is 45 years old (Masters age). There are plenty of Masters age players still capable of hanging with the top pros today. JohnE, Climo, Schultz, Brown, Schweberger, Todd, etc.