• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Changing disc line up

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
My bag has been pretty much the same for the past couple years. How often do folks change their line up - and do is it just for the fun of trying new discs or do you think the replacements are really better?

Mainly I try new discs for fun or by chance.

Sometimes a disc I have bagged doesn't do what I had bagged for, or I find something that does it better.

I bagged a Teebird for a couple years, then picked up a Stag that was Fin stamped which was cheap and I thought I would flip it.

Threw it a few times, and it did Teebird things even better than a Teebird.

I try to keep my bag to only discs that are easily replaceable.

I often find myself throwing "cool" discs that I know aren't easy to find a cheap new one to replace it with.
At one point my "Go To" midrange was 12x PF# KC Rocs. They're amazing flyers but once folks caught on that they were incognito 11x, the market went way up. I knew I would have to track down something that flew similarly so that I could have peace of mind in the event that my stock started to dwindle. I now just throw stock DX Rocs and MVP Vectors/Champ Roc3's.

I really like that I can walk into any sporting good store across the country and pick up a DX Roc that is good enough to bag. The plastic may be waxy or not quite flat enough but they fly decent enough to help in a pinch. THAT is what I like my bag to be build around.

I find my drivers being the ones I most often change.

I like trying new plastic for the fun of it, but my bread and butter mids and putters don't seem to change

Whatever is now working

When I play a course, I usually take 6-8 discs only with me. Besides the old reliable putter (Aviar) and my works-every-time approach (Comet), the other discs earn their spots in field work. Whatever seems to be flying the most reliably in my last field session is what makes the bag. Of course, I still have different categories that I make sure are represented and I'll bring a floater if the course dictates it.

Blasphemy!!

You take that back.

Haha, I have tried to go back to the old TB but the only ones that fly like I want them to is the old PFN Stiff Star.

The VIP Stag flies like that right away and stays beats in slowly.

I tweak mine basically all the time. I get most of my fun by analysing my bag and making adjustments, experimenting with speed combinations that slot well together, plastic combinations too. So far the "perfect discs" in my bag are polecats, pd, h1, pd2 and gazelles. The Polecats are on the chopping block due to plastic choices. Anode will get booted, replaced with a shorter putter and comet will come back.

But yeah. I love to tweak my bag and super analyse discs and setups.

A certain pond routinely shakes up my bag lineup.

My putters stay the same. My mids, mostly the same. My drivers are in constant need of replacement.

I don't know, I get captivated easily. So to say I only want bread and butter discs I can replace isn't a my number one goal when picking a bag. If I really like a disc, it looks cool(a big bonus) and flies well it is proablably going in the bag. No matter how rare or exotic it may be.

This is probably why my collector discs are either in the rough are someone else's bag. I'm really tempted to throw what I like.

Having a cool disc on the wall is cool but sometimes I get more out of the DG expeirence by actually having it in my bag.

I think with the evolution of disc. Even if it is rare its flight not the disc itself can be replaced in time by something that is even better.

Last edited:
I'd say I keep my bag 80% the same, but always leave room to try out new stuff. Usually when I lose a disc I will try something new out in desperation. I try to keep my bag easily replaceable for this reason.

I replaced my TeeBird with a VIP Stag too--and haven't looked back. Sorry if it's blasphemy, but the Stag is just better.

Haha, I have tried to go back to the old TB but the only ones that fly like I want them to is the old PFN Stiff Star.

The VIP Stag flies like that right away and stays beats in slowly.

::ponders the time when he will have to replace his PFN Stiff Star Teebirds that he has no backups of anymore....remembers what the newest Star Teebird that he bought flies like....remembers that he had to dig through a huge box of them at a tourney to find that one and that he wasn't satisfied...prays that Moose is onto something here....can anything have that much glide and hold straight lines that long? Hopes Moose will expound on this more or PM him....::

I have a problem letting old discs go.

After you've been playing 10+ years a lot of discs get pretty beat up, but in my mind that just makes them better.

It's hard for me not to tinker with my bag, it's fun seeing what's out there. I usually end up crawling back to my time tested classics most of the time for one reason or another. Throwing crowd favorites that are readily available at most DG retailers certainly helps cushion the blow of a losing well seasoned disc.

::ponders the time when he will have to replace his PFN Stiff Star Teebirds that he has no backups of anymore....remembers what the newest Star Teebird that he bought flies like....remembers that he had to dig through a huge box of them at a tourney to find that one and that he wasn't satisfied...prays that Moose is onto something here....can anything have that much glide and hold straight lines that long? Hopes Moose will expound on this more or PM him....::

I didn't believe that anything could glide like a Star TB and hold that straight line with the slightest hint of turn and a predictable, gentle, forward fade.

Especially a disc in translucent durable plastic. Those are supposed to have less glide!

But out of the box a VIP stag flies exactly how I want it to and since they are so durable, the flight doesn't change quickly.

The newer Teebirds I've tried are just either not the feel I want, to gummy or else domey. And the flight with some has been unpredictable.

The Stag as long as you don't get one that is abnormally flat is very consistent and I think that is what we all really want right?

Many also like TP, but I find the flight to be the same initially but it beats in more easily.

So to me VIP Stag= the best Teebirds but easier and cheaper to find

My bag has pretty much stayed within a set range. I do try out discs here and there (Love to buy used discs just to see how they fly) and different plastics of molds I like. I have given up on anything above 10-11 speed as I don't have the power and form to make them fly right.

My biggest change this year has been learning how to forehand. So now every disc in my bag has to be able to be thrown both ways or it's not bagged. Sorry Roc's, been a good run but I just can't FH a Roc unless I baby the heck out of it and then I might just as well FH my Judge. I can FH a Comet and a Cobra easier than a Roc!

Learning FH has opened lots of options so I no longer bag "shot specific" turnover/annie discs and now carry a smaller bag, which I like a lot.

^ This is exactly what I'm doing. My bag stayed the same for many years, until I disc-overed that there are other companies besides Innova/Millenium that make discs. I've been on a BAD Finnish plastic kick lately, so that's been creating some bag confusion as I work my way thru some Trilogy molds and figure out what's working for me.

Getting that forehand flick added to my shot selection is allowing me to flip flight paths and keep a smaller number of molds in my bag.

My putter/approach discs usually stay pretty stable. I've recently been going thru my mids and I've basically settled on overmolded MVP putters & approach discs (Anode/Proxy), and Trilogy mids/fairways (Evidence/Stag/Hatchet). I don't throw anything faster than a 10 so no real "distance drivers" in my bag.

I didn't believe that anything could glide like a Star TB and hold that straight line with the slightest hint of turn and a predictable, gentle, forward fade.

Especially a disc in translucent durable plastic. Those are supposed to have less glide!

But out of the box a VIP stag flies exactly how I want it to and since they are so durable, the flight doesn't change quickly.

The newer Teebirds I've tried are just either not the feel I want, to gummy or else domey. And the flight with some has been unpredictable.

The Stag as long as you don't get one that is abnormally flat is very consistent and I think that is what we all really want right?

Many also like TP, but I find the flight to be the same initially but it beats in more easily.

So to me VIP Stag= the best Teebirds but easier and cheaper to find

I literally just shed a tear. :D The last Star Teebird that I spoke of was really domey and was the best one I could find in a HUGE box of them and it didn't really fit the bill. Thanks for the feedback.

My bag has been pretty much the same for the past couple years. How often do folks change their line up - and do is it just for the fun of trying new discs or do you think the replacements are really better?

My core line up remains constant: DC Challenger Putter, DD Fuzion Judge Putter, Westside Tournament Northman, Westside VIP Seer, Innova G*Roc3, Star Mamba, Champion Mamba, Star Eagle, Star Teebird....for a total of 9.

I usually carry 10-14 discs, depending on the course.

The remaining slots I fill with other discs I have acquired, but have not necessarily thrown regularly....I swap out discs almost every time I play......every now and then I stumble upon a jewel and it will become a core disc....like the G*Roc3 I bought at the Hippodrome Complex.....everyone should have one in their bag.

Latest posts