• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte: Definitive Poll for First Visit Courses

Which course(s) are a MUST PLAY regardless of skill level? *voting is public*

• Total voters
Winget is an awesome add after the top 5. It's new-school old-school. Just a fun course.

Angry is fine to add, but it's a beat-down. It's like Nevin, only not. The upside is that you have Eager there as well for your 7th.

Old-school, as in Reedy, means mostly 1-shot holes, with extremely beat-in fairways and extremely beat-in off the fairways. Reedy is a FANTASTIC old-school course. It's probably a 3.5 today, but was a 4.5 10-15 years ago.

Winget is an awesome add after the top 5. It's new-school old-school. Just a fun course.

Angry is fine to add, but it's a beat-down. It's like Nevin, only not. The upside is that you have Eager there as well for your 7th.

Old-school, as in Reedy, means mostly 1-shot holes, with extremely beat-in fairways and extremely beat-in off the fairways. Reedy is a FANTASTIC old-school course. It's probably a 3.5 today, but was a 4.5 10-15 years ago.

grodney is spot on. Angry is a total grind. Reedy is short and very beat in for a wooded course. And Winget is very comparable to Reedy before 25 years of foot-traffic.

^Yeah, its the same way up here right now. 58 and raining here today, but on Tuesday we had a high of 11 with snow on the ground from the 10 inches we got over the weekend. This weather is wacky.

So, my list of courses for my trip is as follows:

Day 1-
1. Renny
2. The Nest
3. R.L. Smith

Day 2-
4. Nevin
5. Bradford

I have a question. Am I missing the ball by not playing Brackett's? If so, which one of these courses would you swap out for it? Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have a question. Am I missing the ball by not playing Brackett's?

I think it has been said that you have to be a "member" to play Bracketts. I sent a couple pm's last year trying to get confirmation on this and/or permission to play and they were never responded to. I took that as a no.

Me and the guys played all the courses you have listed last year except Nevin. Nevin is tops on out "to-play" list this year. I really liked them all especially the Nest and Bradford. Oddly for all the hype, Renny was down the list for me. I just didn't enjoy it. Maybe I just didn't have enough skill (sadly around 875 rated) :gross:but the course itself was hard on a bigger guy like me.

I played Winget, Renny Gold and Winthrop when I visited the Charlotte area. I just wanna say that Winget was a blast. You don't hear a lot about it with longer, tougher courses like Renny and I'm assuming Hornets Nest being close by, but I felt it had a lot of fun factor. Extremely well manicured, lots of benches, well defined fairways with plenty of trees, and the holes all felt fair. It was very easy to breeze through as a first timer, while Renny Gold was confusing as hell.

Question: I'm flying in on Sunday, and only have time to get in one course, and it needs to be 1.5-2 hours (including warmup). Which course is going to have the best traffic-skill-fun ratio? Keep in mind I'm probably around an 850ish player that has been throwing in snow for the last few months, and I have to go get my butt kicked by some regulars around here down at Va-Du-Mar afterwards.

If I could redo my visit I would have skipped Charlotte's Web and played Nevin twice. I wasted alot of time and throws dealing without signs for that layout.

Question: I'm flying in on Sunday, and only have time to get in one course, and it needs to be 1.5-2 hours (including warmup). Which course is going to have the best traffic-skill-fun ratio? Keep in mind I'm probably around an 850ish player that has been throwing in snow for the last few months, and I have to go get my butt kicked by some regulars around here down at Va-Du-Mar afterwards.

R.L. smith is maybe ten minutes from the airport, great signage, challenging but not demoralizing layout. Very fun to play

R.L. smith is maybe ten minutes from the airport, great signage, challenging but not demoralizing layout. Very fun to play

How's the foot traffic going to be on a Sunday afternoon? I was kind of thinking about hitting Rankin on the drive to Spartanburg if that has less foot traffic.

How's the foot traffic going to be on a Sunday afternoon? I was kind of thinking about hitting Rankin on the drive to Spartanburg if that has less foot traffic.

Minimal foot traffic at RL. We've had an inch or so of rain (Wed. night and this morning); should be playable just beware there may be a few slippery spots.