• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte re-design? Can DG be TOO public?

grodney

* Ace Member *
A semi-interesting discussion has broken out on the Charlotte board. It involves Stan McDaniel and several of the Charlotte Club members. (I am not a Club member, nor active in the Charlotte DG Community -- I read their board occasionally.)

It concerns Winget: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5036

Full discussion: http://charlottedgc.invisionzone.co...llister-winget-park-12025-winget-road/page-19

See pasted discussion in next post. Obviously the Charlotte Club will decide to do whatever they think is best. Keep in mind that Charlotte Park&Rec has bought into DG big-time, and the Club has a *very* good relationship with them. I think this discussion serves as valuable information and food for thought for players, designers, and clubs everywhere.

Background: A tree fell near #15 basket. There was some discussion whether to remove it or leave it as an obstacle. The discussion grew out of that.

The #15 Tee and #17 Tee are fairly close to a park playground and swings, and also the parking lot for an elementary school, where the student pick-up line forms on school days. I *think* the swings and playground are park facilities, not school facilities. That is, I think the school has its own playgrounds. Therefore, during school hours only pre-school kids (and parents) would use the park. During non-school hours and weekends, any ages could be present. Note also the concrete walk/run/bike path around the large open area that contains #3 and #14.

Overview of area in discussion:
winget1_zps8c1913a8.jpg

Close-up of playground:
winget2_zps59795310.jpg

Discussion follows. I included some extra stuff for context, but have bolded some interesting parts. All bolding is mine.

Stan:
Get rid of that hole and the tees that are out in the open beside the playground and the school. We have discussed this a number of times and I feel like it would be a wise time to act proactively. It would be wise to diminish the presence of disc golfers and other activities that are right under the public's noses. All it would take would be for the wrong person to see or hear something offensive and we could be regretting not taking action.

I volunteer my slave labor if Sam will do a slight redesign in this area.

Bravethrower43:
Agree with this. If it's possible

Huey:
Agree, but labor help is limited, working too much up north these days.

Tom:
I disagree. The locals can organize the needed labor IF redesign makes sense. There is disadgreement between Sam and Stan on what to do with the 4 final holes; I see merits with pieces of their thoughts and demerits with other pieces. Until some design agreements can be reached, cutting and clearing is not going to happen.

Huey:
You dont agree that there is a potential for issue with the teepad so close to an a playground used by afluent goody tooshoes? Thats all I was agreeing to...that many disc golfers are bad apples and find it impossible to control their behavier, consumption, and language for even 1 hole! I know nothing about an actual redesign.

David:
Really, affluent goody tooshoes, I know of a couple of those affluent goody twoshoes who helped build this course. And, when asked would be out there helping fix the course.

There are many of those very affluent families that are out on that course daily, their children built the Eagle Scout project and installed the benches. Their fathers dug in the tee pads, helped drag wheel barrels full of concrete, cut down trees, installed bridges, and other things.

I do not hear many complaints about the course, and still only hear great things from the three Home Owners Associations from the neighboring communities.

Kramer:
Agreed.

Huey is not the only person who does course work and his attention is clearly elsewhere.
There are plenty of people around Winget to get this done once the arm wrestling is over.

The name calling on this forum needs to stop. We don't need hyperbole to get our points across,
As long as the local residents aren't complaining, we don't have to rush into anything.

But, playing in and around the public areas of parks (ANY parks) is a bad idea and
is an opening for disaster. While it is nice that others get the chance to see the game, putting
holes in places where there are potential problems is simply irresponsible on our part. We know
that not all players have the accuracy to avoid problems, why do we insist on tempting fate?

Huey (replying to David):
Your post has little to do with mine. I didn't call you or any of your friends afluent goody tooshoes.

Probably "afluent" was a poor adjective. However, the attitude of people around sugaw, Kilborne, or hornet's nest might be a little more forgiving than the people surrounding Winget. It is important to recognize the demographics of the area you are in. Whether you fit in this category or not is meaningless. The area surrounding Winget is different than that surrounding other Charlotte courses and it is responsible to understand that when considering the reaction to different behaviors. The course I am building in Cornelius will have similar issues because it borders a neighborhood with houses in the 300-500K range. So i have to design to keep teepads hidden or away from walking paths that lead from the developments.

Those people that dug the tee pads, etc, etc, wouldnt contact the town to get the course pulled. They might be annoyed or ask the inconsiderate golfers to act differently. The goody tooshoes are the people that dont care anything about disc golf, know that the behavior they witnessed was rare, and would do something like complaining. My post was mainly directed at those who can't control their habits or behaviors in public and have a limited sense of what is appropriate to do around children. Those people probably cannot be stopped from doing what they do and all of you and your friend's hard work might be fruitless if Stan's warning is not regarded. We all live in the same place. "offended" people rule regardless of how much work you have done and will do. Courses are pulled every day across the country because a few people complain about a few people being stupid.

Im still in agreement. The 2 tee pads by the play ground are a potential area of conflict between families/children and bad disc golfing apples.

David:
I want to say that you would have to do more than more 2 tee pads if you wanted to move the course away from the play areas. You would need to move the holes out of the open field and holes 15-18 completely away from the play areas. But I see no need to do this. Many families have taken the time to purchase discs because they see the disc golf course and meet the players.

Huey:
2 teepads are troubled. You would need 2-3 new holes but you could easily add a hole in the front 13. Combine 6&7 as a par 4 then go out and back utilizing that neat valley and creek that is below9 &10, then eliminate the shorty 15 play 16, put a new tee in the woods for 17.

But whatever, in the end it is the responsibility of the club leadership and course designer/director to make those calls. We have to change or update courses for all sorts of reasons. Look at Hornets #4, Nevin #11,12,13,14 as examples. Change isnt always bad. 11-14 at Nevin is a great stretch of holes now. 3 years ago, not nearly as good. Sometimes holes just don't work out, like old #13 at Nevin where parked cars were being hit or old 14 which enticed players to throw over neighbors yards.

Stan:
Tom, I think you have forgotten some things. I contend there was no disagreement. This has nothing to do with the quality of the design of any hole, simply where those holes exist in relation to a very young public and the guardians of these young children.

Sam has absolutely agreed with me about the"iffyness" regarding the proximity of tee 15 there at the playground. You have been there at least once while Sam and I discussed the proximity of tee 15 to the playground. (I am a bit worried about tee 17 also out the near the playground and the parents in the car line waiting to pick up kids.) We all agreed that this created the potential for offending the "wrong person". If Sam has changed his mind and informed you that he doesn't think anything needs to be addressed then I stand corrected, or perhaps he agreed with me just to get me to shut up. When I pointed out a way that holes could be rerouted I wasn't telling you or Sam how to do it, I was pointing out that it could be done.
My point is that if a person with contacts high up the ladder in the park department or city government gets offended by someone uttering profanity after a bad tee shot and perhaps indulging in a beverage or something that projects a bad image, we could potentially lose the course. It has happened elsewhere in the states.
The topic I have raised is not regarding whether the specific "reroute" I suggested should be employed. The topic is should some kind of a reroute be employed. No complaints have been lodged at this point. The population is rising and the popularity of our sport is rising and with that so is the foot traffic on the course. When was the last time that you heard someone drop a loud "F" bomb without considering who was within earshot? When was the last time you saw someone with a beer or something around a parking lot or on the course?
Should we be worried enough to minimize our high profile there around the playground and the entrance to the school? I think so, and I have shared my thoughts. Sam and Tom and Ox and I and many others have invested so many hours to make this awesome course a reality. I wouldn't want to lose this course. That is my point. (now I am pointless)

Stan (replying to David):
I agree with a bit of your assessment. If we moved two, it would affect others. The field holes would not be affected. Read my post above to get a feel for what I am proposing, and why.

David:
The very reason you propose to move 15 and 17 I propose to move the field holes. I have been on the walkway with my kids many times, when a golfer has missed his drive and lost his cool. If the goal is to avoid the conflict and "hide" the possible bad habits, than you should consider all 4 holes by the playground and the 2 field holes.

RJ (replying to Kramer):
This.

Stan (replying to David):
Thanks for your perspective. I hear what you are saying, and it has merit. We have those kind of public contacts in most of our courses and in most of our courses we cannot get away from all public interaction. At Winget we do need those field holes to transition from 14 to the final holes and they do not put us center stage in the public eye like [15] and 17. The playground only 20 feet away from a tee and a pickup line at an elementary school very close to another tee strike me as being radioactive. I may be misguided, but my way of thinking says that we should mitigate this potential disaster.

The Ox:
Is there even one (public) course in Charlotte that doesn't have any fairways that interact with other park users ?

Maybe the answer is more signage at the beginning of the course warning of the future interaction with the school ?

Tom does a great job of keeping Winget in top shape, barely even a spot of trash on the entire course at any given time.

If the fallen tree truly needs to be removed, it will be.

Stan:
I agree Ox. Tom does a great job keeping it clean. The last time I played there I found 3 pieces of trash, just three!!!!

The type of people that concern me probably won't care about what signs say and I cringe a bit about putting up signs that imply that disc golfers should not do the things that we do not want them to do, especially around the kids. Kind of tips our hand.

The issue to me is not that we are in the public eye, but that on those two holes we are directly under the public's nose where parents are right there and we are under scrutiny as we walk up to the tee pad, while we are on the tee pad and until we leave the tee pad. In my mind this is an issue that the leaders should discuss, but ultimately, this is Sammy's baby and since he is one of those leaders he should make the call.

If he does choose to change something, count me in for labor.

IMO those tees are fine. I've played the course several times, and you can speak in a normal tone of voice, and not be heard at the playground. The tee shots go away from the play area so danger is practically nothing. And with the walking/bike path that plays through some of the course, there is plenty of other spots for morons to give DG a bad name. IF disc golfers are going to swear, smoke, drink or whatever people may be concerned about they are eventually going to be seen and heard at some spot in the park or on the course. That course is fine as it sits. It seems to have been designed to prevent as many safety concerns as possible. If we start redesigning every course where a foul mouthed, smoking, drinking disc golfer may be seen or heard by a member of the public we're going to have a lot of closed or crappy courses. I've heard people say that you can't legislate morality. It seems to me you can't design course morality either. Heck, maybe Stan can design a little chapel back in the woods by the old ruins so that disc golfers can pray. Would that make it more acceptable???

People searching for a problem that doesn't exist. Unless those people are the ones that want to smoke, drink and swear. Then they are just looking for cover.

Just put a cop car in the parking lot nearby, problem solved.

This is just a discussion of a solution that's looking for a problem.

Not sure why this is brought to the public eye on DGCR. Seems this discussion is better left for the locals on their local forum. Suggest joining the discussion there, not here.

Not sure why this is brought to the public eye on DGCR. Seems this discussion is better left for the locals on their local forum. Suggest joining the discussion there, not here.

Good Posting :clap:

IMO those tees are fine. I've played the course several times, and you can speak in a normal tone of voice, and not be heard at the playground. The tee shots go away from the play area so danger is practically nothing. And with the walking/bike path that plays through some of the course, there is plenty of other spots for morons to give DG a bad name. IF disc golfers are going to swear, smoke, drink or whatever people may be concerned about they are eventually going to be seen and heard at some spot in the park or on the course. That course is fine as it sits. It seems to have been designed to prevent as many safety concerns as possible. If we start redesigning every course where a foul mouthed, smoking, drinking disc golfer may be seen or heard by a member of the public we're going to have a lot of closed or crappy courses. I've heard people say that you can't legislate morality. It seems to me you can't design course morality either. Heck, maybe Stan can design a little chapel back in the woods by the old ruins so that disc golfers can pray. Would that make it more acceptable???

People searching for a problem that doesn't exist. Unless those people are the ones that want to smoke, drink and swear. Then they are just looking for cover.

The biggest issue here is the proximity to a school. Public parks are one thing, a school is an entirely different beast. I have seen courses get pulled or entire holes removed and fences put up to keep disc golfers away from schools. Mostly because someone heard or saw something that they were offended by.

It's in the public, not private, section of their forum. And besides "I think this discussion serves as valuable information and food for thought for players, designers, and clubs everywhere."

If that is a concern then that particular course should never have been built. You can see the school from several of the holes and vice versa.

This is great. Disc golfers are so bad we can only build in school free zones. :p

I don't think it's too big of a concern.

That said, one of my worst disc golf memories was playing in a tourney at Winget, and some guy throwing by himself(not in the tourney, shouldn't have been out there) throws on #15 while were coming up to putt on #16. He screams the loudest profanity that you don't want your kids to hear, after hitting early trees, three times.

That's stuck in my head, and I'm a disc golfer. I would imagine that would get stuck in someone else's head that is not a disc golfer.

That said, I remember it because it doesn't happen as often as I would expect.

FWIW - I'm all for showing the sport in a positive light. As the discussion points out, it only takes a couple of bad DG apples to perpetuate any negative stereo types, and we all know there are plenty of players who simply lack any measure of discretion when it comes to behavior, language, etc. Additionally, it's understandable if that far into a round, you're really focused on your game rather than any bystanders who might be within earshot... and you exclaim some particularly colorful words after shanking one into the bushes. Sure people and young cholderen ahave heard those words before, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to avoid those situations where feasible.

As was also pointed out, public parks (where small children are a possibility) are one thing, and Elementary schools (where small children are pretty much a certainty) are something else.

People who want to fire shots at disc golf and and those who play will do so, but I think the smart move is to avoid having disc golfers actually put bullets in their guns.

If people are willing to volunteer the labor to redesign the holes and move the tees/baskets, and are able to keep the holes interesting, why not? Actively looking for ways to create fewer negative reactions can only be a positive in terms of helping to establish additional courses.

If people are willing to volunteer the labor to redesign the holes and move the tees/baskets, and are able to keep the holes interesting, why not? Actively looking for ways to create fewer negative reactions can only be a positive in terms of helping to establish additional courses.

ditto this

I don't think it's too big of a concern.

That said, one of my worst disc golf memories was playing in a tourney at Winget, and some guy throwing by himself(not in the tourney, shouldn't have been out there) throws on #15 while were coming up to putt on #16. He screams the loudest profanity that you don't want your kids to hear, after hitting early trees, three times.

That said, I remember it because it doesn't happen as often as I would expect.

I remember it because it happened 25 feet behind you in the middle of your putting motion. :wall:

Neither of these holes is particularly amazing, they're fine golf shots, but not close to being "signature holes" for this course, so no reason a tweak or two couldn't be made without giving up anything w/r/t quality of the course.

Stating the obvious, almost ANY activity where adults participate near kids or a school is risky, because there are aholes everywhere, I mean to say, people are people. There's a sand-volleyball set up nearby too, and I'm sure there's some PG-13 + activities there at times.

The difference is nobody probably really cares THAT much if the volleyball net got pulled/moved whereas, as the OP stated, the Charlotte club's old guard has spent a LOT of time and energy to cultivate what might be the textbook relationship between a DG club and a public parks/rec department, and to even think about having that jeopardized by one bad incident in front of the wrong activist-minded parent is a reasonable concern I think.

It's sad, really, to even have to worry about it. But, it's one of those things, it just takes one isolated incident to "confirm" a bad reputation for DG in the face of like 20 years of CDGC working to prove otherwise.

The playground in question is school property, not park and rec.

Students who wish to venture onto park property need to have a signed permission slip from parent or guardian.

The course was already "re-designed" once.

Hole 17 was hole 1, 18 was 2, 16 was 3, 15 was 4, 1 was 5.

This was done in an effort to prevent disc golfers from parking in the school parking lot and lessen the chance of a negatively charged encounter with children/parents.

David White is our HOA contact and has not reported any such interactions between disc golfers and locals.

Sam Nicholson (course designer) is aware of the fallen tree and will decide the correct course of action.

My point (Huey) BTW about the neighborhood/ location is still my stance. Better safe than sorry. There may never be an issue, however, I drool at the possibility of replacing 2 or 3 blah holes with what could be done back behind the middle holes of the course. Things happen and courses change. When I present to town or city board I always say how flexible disc golf is and we will adjust to any future park improvements or issues and rarely get push back after a presentation. Sometimes a proactive approach, marketed back to the park department helps us gain favor in other areas...they dont want complaints and phone calls...maybe we get a back scratching with use of their machinery in a concrete pour. Stan quickly redesigned holes at the Elon short course because of something the park wanted to do. That will reap rewards in the future.

So we want to grow the sport, and make it appeal to young children and families, but at the same time we want to move courses out of the public eye because we're scared that families and small children may actually see disc golfers and be offended by them.

The big issue here is that we're talking about school property. Nobody complains that #2 at Hornets Nest runs near a playground and basketball court, or that #7 runs along the park road.

Being a parent now, I see how other parents can lose all perspective when their kids are involved. Nobody would bat an eyelash at a group of guys, in a park, walking near a playground. But for some reason, with schools involved, there's a different dynamic involved.

Going back to the main point, I agree with Mark. Why even risk it over four pedestrian holes? The only enjoyable one of those is #17. Being proactive can pay huge dividends. You don't always need to be reactive. Plus, there seems to be so much great land in the back of the park, which could be used to give this course an added boost.

So we want to grow the sport, and make it appeal to young children and families, but at the same time we want to move courses out of the public eye because we're scared that families and small children may actually see disc golfers and be offended by them.

From Arkansas? Enough said.

The playground in question is school property, not park and rec.

I'm not sure why this matters (i.e. not sure why it's being pointed out). But I'm also not sure you are correct.

First, I don't know if there's any difference between "school" and "park and rec" in CharMeck. Ownership of the parcels in question shows "MECKLENBURG COUNTY" for both. I'm no expert, though, in the definition of "school property".

Second, there's a clear parcel line between the school and the playground in question.

Third, the school clearly has its own playgrounds just south of the building.

Fourth, the playground is listed as a Park amenity and identified on the map shown here: http://charmeck.org/MECKLENBURG/COU...THREGION/Pages/ThomasMcAlisterWingetPark.aspx

Finally, it doesn't really matter. I have no idea if kids in school use the north playground during school hours or not. I was guessing students don't use it during school hours (due to the above) -- only younger kids and their parents, but I could be wrong. Clearly it is used by somebody sometime and some members of the Club have a concern.

winget3_zpsaf6961f1.jpg

The idea of moving holes sounds great, but the property is not as large as it seems.

The "back side" is already crowded.

The left side of 8's fairway runs against the property line, and the bottom of 9 and 10 encounter a small canal (another property line).

The area that was used during last year's Ice Bowl hosted 6 temporary holes and a permanent move could solve this issue, but ...

The master plan for the park calls for multiple baseball fields and a canoe rental to be installed.

Latest posts