• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap Grip knockoff

high-five-athletic-team-backpacks.jpg

This one is even cheaper and has 9" depth.

NICE

I just saw that and was going to post the link. Not sure how durable it is, but it is less than 20$

NICE

I just saw that and was going to post the link. Not sure how durable it is, but it is less than 20$

I was thinking of trying this one out while i wait for a mahal. add $10 for shipping, and its still on $25.

I want a DG bag with MOLLE straps, can anyone say "fully customizeable?"

I've been thinking about that as well. It would solve a lot of problems with the one-size-fits-all outlook that all the backpack manufacturers have now.

I run a hotel and see people with OGIO bags all the time, I always make them open up the bottom to see if it could be used for DG like the DD bags that are coming out...99% of the time the guest is cool and lets me look at the bag, I had one dude almost give me his, but it would not have worked, and he actually told me he would look around his office as they have some laying around, I think it had like a frito lay patch or something along those lines on it...I just cannot get myself to drop $200. I know they are that much for the quality and all that, but if i can drop $50 on a bag and use is for a year or so and do that every year, it would boil down to a Grip that would last about 4 years anyway...

One of the things you're failing to take into account is resale. If you buy a Grip, or Prodiscus, or Voodoo and it's not your thing after 6 months or a year of use, you're likely to be able to sell it to another DGer for almost all your investment. Knock $20 of the price of a new one, cover shipping, and it won't be too difficult to sell it.

DIY bags are not very good in their resale quality. You spend $50 on a bag, $10 on a PVC frame, and you're likely stuck with that $60 investment. Unless it's a Cabela's bag.

The same goes for discs, and almost anything else we use. Buy a disc, try it out, don't like it, sell it for what you bought it for. It's one of the great things about our sport and the marketplace offered on these forums.

My wife never gets too upset with me about buying $200 bags because I just sell $200 worth of DG stuff. When it's time for me to try my next bag, my other one goes up for sale.

Just keep that in mind. A $200 bag can be a $180 sale down the road, whereas a $60 DIY bag is more than likely going to be a dust collector in the garage (or a new diaper bag like one of mine is now, lol)

One of the things you're failing to take into account is resale. If you buy a Grip, or Prodiscus, or Voodoo and it's not your thing after 6 months or a year of use, you're likely to be able to sell it to another DGer for almost all your investment. Knock $20 of the price of a new one, cover shipping, and it won't be too difficult to sell it.

DIY bags are not very good in their resale quality. You spend $50 on a bag, $10 on a PVC frame, and you're likely stuck with that $60 investment. Unless it's a Cabela's bag.

The same goes for discs, and almost anything else we use. Buy a disc, try it out, don't like it, sell it for what you bought it for. It's one of the great things about our sport and the marketplace offered on these forums.

My wife never gets too upset with me about buying $200 bags because I just sell $200 worth of DG stuff. When it's time for me to try my next bag, my other one goes up for sale.

Just keep that in mind. A $200 bag can be a $180 sale down the road, whereas a $60 DIY bag is more than likely going to be a dust collector in the garage (or a new diaper bag like one of mine is now, lol)

The same can be said for cheaper bags. If I buy a $30 bag and can only resell it for $10 down the road is it any different except that you have $200 tied up during that time and I would only have $30?

I also sold 15 or more of the DIY swiss gear bags for more than I had in them at the time. I paid $30-40 for the bag and $8 for the frame and sold them for $75 shipped. I think the backpacks on the market right now are extremely overpriced and it will adjust itself.

I don't have a problem paying for quality but I don't think it should be 8x the cost of the bag. Where are the Grip bags and Voodoo bags being made these days? I know where my silverback was sewn.

The same can be said for cheaper bags. If I buy a $30 bag and can only resell it for $10 down the road is it any different except that you have $200 tied up during that time and I would only have $30?

I also sold 15 or more of the DIY swiss gear bags for more than I had in them at the time. I paid $30-40 for the bag and $8 for the frame and sold them for $75 shipped. I think the backpacks on the market right now are extremely overpriced and it will adjust itself.

I don't have a problem paying for quality but I don't think it should be 8x the cost of the bag. Where are the Grip bags and Voodoo bags being made these days? I know where my silverback was sewn.

Voodoo is made in Colorado. Grip is Taiwan for their standard tour bag and USA for their special edition bags. From a manufacturing standpoint, Voodoo, Physical Flight, Gorilla Boy, Big Hyzer, and Hyzerbomb are all at profit margins that are respectable for what they produce. I've talked to a couple of them directly about their manufacturing, and their cost per bag hovers around $100. I don't know what Kai's costs for Prodiscus are, but a lot of it has to be tied up in dealing the majority of his sales overseas to us here in the States. Grip's Taiwan roots aside, the majority of these offerings are not $30 bags marked up to $200. These are all guys who have day jobs and don't exactly make a living doing this for us.

I have a few DIY bag builds in my home. I love tinkering with them. I'm not trying to degrade the practice.

I can't imagine it costs $100 for a bag made in Taiwan. The only way that could be possible is if they factor in the cost of all those first bags they had to replace for free and the cost of all the bags they will replace down the road.

I can't imagine it costs $100 for a bag made in Taiwan. The only way that could be possible is if they factor in the cost of all those first bags they had to replace for free and the cost of all the bags they will replace down the road.

No, I was saying except for the Taiwan-made Grip, all the others are made in the states and run up to about $100

Moral of the story: We're all paying waaaaaaay too much for our disc golf bags.

It's funny how everyone thinks this ^^^^^

Let's look at the variables.

1 - Made in the USA in small qty's with superior materials vs. mass produced in China in the thousands with inferior materials.

2 - I've seen Fade bags burn out in less then a full season and my Mojo is still running strong (looks new) after 2.5 seasons. Even sent it back for a full warranty zipper repair and they paid for shipping both ways. Have fun doing that in China.

3 - Trust me when I say their margins are not as high as you think. I know where Voodoo gets their bags made and have an idea of what there payin..

You want good products with superior materials made in the US YOU GOTTA PAY

It's funny how everyone thinks this ^^^^^

Let's look at the variables.

1 - Made in the USA in small qty's with superior materials vs. mass produced in China in the thousands with inferior materials.

2 - I've seen Fade bags burn out in less then a full season and my Mojo is still running strong (looks new) after 2.5 seasons. Even sent it back for a full warranty zipper repair and they paid for shipping both ways. Have fun doing that in China.

3 - Trust me when I say their margins are not as high as you think. I know where Voodoo gets their bags made and have an idea of what there payin..

You want good products with superior materials made in the US YOU GOTTA PAY

We need an "I'm joking" font around here. I know what I pay for and have no problem with the prices.

^
Not sure if serious...

Depends on your definition of serious. It was a cynical comment. But the materials used on the DD are way below what a similarly priced backpack bag is made from. And they are produced by Ogio, who does not do any of their manufacturing here in the states.

So, the facts stated were serious, the tone was not entirely.

I've owned a few Ogio products. Are were fantastic. I agree that the price of the small bag is absurd, but suspect it's nice nonetheless.

I've owned a few Ogio products. Are were fantastic. I agree that the price of the small bag is absurd, but suspect it's nice nonetheless.
I started off with a standard over-the-shoulder disc golf bag (Ching) that somebody gave me second-hand. I wanted straps but didnt want to splurge for a whole new bag & straps so I bought a standard backpack at Wal-Mart ($12) & used that successfully for about a year. But this cheap backpack got worked pretty quickly & started to fall apart. I went looking for a more premium backpack & saw a bunch of good reviews for the Ogio line. I found an Ogio backpack & that became my new disc golf bag:
BPtopview.jpg

BPtopview_putter.jpg

It was comfortable, durable & worked well. Even had a touch of style! It's only real limitation was it's disc carrying capacity. Something the new backpack designers are coming up against now.

Wasn't meant to be a comment on Ogio specifically. I like their bags as well. I was more commenting on the comaprisons to the disc golf backpack field specifically. 1000D cordura is the most used base material, some use higher grade. The DD bags are a mix of 400D nylon and 600D poly. Which is pretty standard for an everyday backpack. But it's well below disc golf standard.

If you are casual, or play wide open courses, I doubt the difference will be too noticeable. If you play a lot of wooded courses, or your bags take a beating, I suspect the rips, tears, and wearing out will be evident quicker.

DD could be selling these backpacks for $140-$150, still make the same profit margin as Voodoo selling theirs for $200, and people would eat them up like candy. But, they chose to hang closer to industry standard pricing without offering industry standard quality. I take issue with that.

You are correct. The Gateway Ozark cost less than $6 if you order 200 units from China. You still have to add taxes but you see my point.

huge props to the guy that posted the swiss gear mod awhile back. bag has been rock solid, 16 discs in the bottom, 3 in putter pocket. top can hold 8 more discs/6 pack cooler/extra clothes. Put extra pvc frame on top and I can sit on the bag like a simian. cant find a production bag out there that can match this one.

Wasn't meant to be a comment on Ogio specifically. I like their bags as well. I was more commenting on the comaprisons to the disc golf backpack field specifically. 1000D cordura is the most used base material, some use higher grade. The DD bags are a mix of 400D nylon and 600D poly. Which is pretty standard for an everyday backpack. But it's well below disc golf standard.

If you are casual, or play wide open courses, I doubt the difference will be too noticeable. If you play a lot of wooded courses, or your bags take a beating, I suspect the rips, tears, and wearing out will be evident quicker.

Ive mentioned this elsewhere but you guys are seriously underestimating the strength of these materials. I mean what the hell are you doing to your bag thats going to require a stronger/higher grade material...

I play competitive paintball and the pants I use have 400D nylon and they have not torn at all after an entire season of sliding on the grass and dirt and getting shot at... Really you dont need a stronger material for a disc golf bag..you just dont.

Heres the pants im talking about.. http://shop.dyepaintball.com/dye_am/c13-pant-cubix-gray.html

Latest posts