• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CHECK THIS OUT! Home made target!

thebarbeito

Not happy with the cost of the easily portable targets, and the flimsiness of the home made plans I have found on the web I went out on a quest to make a portable well built target that can pass for a perment target yet be easy to move around, break down and be at a low cost. I was able to make one for under 70 bucks but I from what I learned this time around I am pretty confident I can make one for under 60.

2010-11-02_23-12-14_71.jpg
[/IMG]

Still have some work to do like cut the excess chains but expect some action shots next week!

About the same height as an official target but with the top and bottom of the cage being 24" I plan on making another one sometime this month.

What kind of chains are those? they look pretty small. i used 2/0 galvanized steel chain for mine

Double Chain loop #3, definitely using bigger chains next time as the the basket can handle the weight which was a concern

yeah, I used a bicycle wheel for the top of mine, and it can hold them up, but man is it heavy.

Yeah man this **** is pretty light we used a old car rim, but I am looking at other low cost options. Like maybe a christmas tree stand, of a five gallon water bottle filled with sand or something....this is still just the Beta next month I will build one with better chains, a nicer cut on the plastics and a few other tweaks

Get a real basket

$60.00 huh? Hmmmm...No offense but it looks like a toy. I dont think it would catch a disc very well.
I'm always impressed by the inginuity of the back yard golfer. I myself tried to figure out a way to make a cheap basket (to no avail).
I'd spend the extra $20-30 for an Instep full-size metal basket:
P1010005.jpg

It's very portable & you can add a second set of chains (like I did later) & your golden!
Backyard practice:
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/misc%20DG/?action=view&current=Untitled_0217.mp4

Yeah with the neon pink it does look toyish but I know when we do some test runs tonight we will have a better idea of what needs to go and what needs to stay...it's hyper portable (fits with a lot of room in a ford mustang's trunk) though and weighs about 25 lbs all together.....And if I can lower the cost of these things my buddy and I plan on making a 18 hole course by adding a new tee every few weeks...we want these things cheap cause if one breaks or gets stolen no big deal....any suggestions?

My suggestion is to just loose that design and start from scratch. It doesn't look like it will catch very well.

Yeah with the neon pink it does look toyish but I know when we do some test runs tonight we will have a better idea of what needs to go and what needs to stay...it's hyper portable (fits with a lot of room in a ford mustang's trunk) though and weighs about 25 lbs all together.....And if I can lower the cost of these things my buddy and I plan on making a 18 hole course by adding a new tee every few weeks...we want these things cheap cause if one breaks or gets stolen no big deal....any suggestions?

Those bolts sticking up out of the top are going to maul baseline plastic. :eek: Cut those bolts down to a size where you can use small lock washers topped with acorn nuts. The rounded acorn nuts will be less likely to gouge discs that land or skip off the top. I also have some serious doubts that those chains are going to be very effective. I think those chains lack the necessary weight and mass to catch discs consistently.

I'll be interested in seeing some video of your basket in action.

it does look a bit flimsy. those chains wouldn't take long to trim down.
the bolts on the top are too long.. maybe take a dremel cut-off wheel to them
I'm not diggin the chain design.. doesn't seem like much chain there to catch the disc
why use tie-offs for the chain? I would just get some wire and make the loop that way..

well, regardless it's pretty cool to see your efforts.. I'm sure by version 2.0 you will have something worthwhile

keep it up and show us the action shots when you get them.

If everyone just went back to older posts there would be nothing to talk about. Really, how many different conversations can you have about disc golf without some overlap? Let's take a deep breath, and relax.

Ok so here are the changes that will be done on 1.5:

1. Bigger chains (going to use http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg8/R-202079544/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 does that look good?

2. Use a wire at the base to hold the chains together (I really want to find one of those janitor key rings since that would be perfect

3. Acorn Nuts on the bolts (although I think using cable ties will do the trick of holding the chains in place and keep cost down per basket

4. Blue steel paint (since apparently using neon pink makes this look like a toy...we used pink so it can be easily spotted)

We did a few impact test and it can take a punch I agree with the chain placement concern we need to figure that out....good thing is that with these changes we still have a good target at cost lower then 50 bucks a target...

Yeah I made mine for about $40, and it meets all the specifics. Could use some thicker chains though but works great! Chains are what costs the most, although I had access to the 55gal barrel.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 45
Yeah I made mine for about $40, and it meets all the specifics. Could use some thicker chains though but works great! Chains are what costs the most, although I had access to the 55gal barrel.

Man that's awesome! you just gave me some ideas....are those plastic chains? And how portable is it...we can break ours down really quick to 5 pieces