• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

China Peak Disc Golf Course (near Fresno)

ross

Hey Everyone -- I spoke to China Peak yesterday. They have all but one of the 27 collars installed and are going to make a big push this
weekend to finish the tees. Baskets arrive on Monday. They are aiming to open by next weekend (i.e. 4th of July weekend). The course was designed by myself, Craig Getty & Leonard Muise and measures just a bit under 13,000 feet. Hole 1 starts near the main chairlift at about 8,700 feet and then plays down the mountain (about 1,700 feet down). We hope you'll like it!

There is great camping nearby at Huntington & Shaver Lakes and lots of private homes for rent. They have also have a bar at the bottom of the Chair for when you're done :). Depending on where you live it's between 3.5-4 hours from the Bay Area.

I am working with their design person on the scorecard -- there is still time to get your name on it if you're interested in sponsoring a hole. As a reminder, for a contribution of $600, hole sponsors will receive a package from China Peak worth $900 including:

1. Two summer Chair passes for the 2013, 2014 & 2015 seasons
2. One free night at the Inn at China Peak (Sunday-Thursday night, non holiday).
3. Two day ski lift tickets for use in the 2013/2014 season (non holiday)
4. Mention on the map/scorecard

Checks should be made out to "China Peak Mountain Resort, LLC" and sent to: China Peak (attn. Disc Golf Course), PO Box 236, Lakeshore, CA 93634. Please send me a note when your check is in the mail. If you have any questions you can write me at [email protected]

I'll be going up next week for the 4th of July weekend -- if all goes well I hope to initiate the course on Saturday morning, July 6th. If you
want to join me let me know.

Ross

I take it that it won't be playable this Wednesday 7/2 then? If so, that's too bad, I was hoping to play it while in the area and probably won't have another chance until next summer. :\

That's right. At least for this season it's only open on weekends when the Chair is running (they have a bike park as well).

Hole 1 starts near the main chairlift at about 8,700 feet and then plays down the mountain (about 1,700 feet down). We hope you'll like it!

So the course drops 1,700 in elevation over 27 holes? So you're averaging a 60' vertical drop per hole? Sounds like a blast with a bunch of Top of the World type shots... also sounds like a lot of lost plastic (for me, at least).

Keep up the good work. I drive the 5 between LA and SF all the time. I'll have to stop along the way!

They say they're going to be ready this Saturday, July 6th.

China Peak put up this page today with a map and a link to a rudimentary scorcard http://www.skichinapeak.com/discgolf.aspx
The emphasis for this Saturday is "soft-launch" -- i.e. not everything will be finished, but the two essentials -- baskets and tees, they feel they'll have done.
We'll leave it to other players to say what they think about the course but we think you'll have a good time!

Ross

Make sure to bring a few water bottles and lots of sunscreen.

For those who don't know, Ross and Leonard designed the
Much love golden gate park course which was
A huge challenge given the urban location and consequent
Restrictions. And Craig designed or co designed most of the killer
Tahoe courses.

From what I hear this was their design dream so
We should expect some serious mountain golf!

ok, I will plan to be there on Saturday the 6th around noon. Might be an interesting road trip. Good opportunity to play a few new courses.

Okay, par 98, pro par 84. Who is it par 98 for? Rec players? Anyone under 1000 player rating?

Par 98 is based on predicted scores by 900 rated players (white). Par 84 is based on predicted scores by 1000 rated players (gold).

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the difference in par -- just over 1/2 stroke per hole -- is a greater spread than normal between 900 vs 1000 players. With so many long, steeply sloped, and/or tight holes, errant throws will be far more costly in comparison to shorter, flatter, more open courses.

Hopefully, Rec players will love the overall experience -- the beautiful setting, the fresh air and hike, the many epic shots -- and not take their score too seriously. My guess is that a Rec player will be more likely to shoot over 120 than under 100 -- at least until they get more familiar with the course.

about that par... :)

hmm, par isn't 98 after all. at least not now.

we're now thinking that some of our scoring predictions were maybe a little pessimistic. so we've decided that four of the par 4s are going to be par 3s after all. which brings the standard par (for 900-level players - aka white level) down to 94. pro par remains 84.

with only one set of tees, it's impossible to optimize for all skill levels. imo, the initial layout will be closest to the ideal balance of easy & hard holes -- ideally 2/3 holes slightly easier than par and 1/3 slightly harder than par -- for two groups: extremely good players (around 1025) playing against pro par and very solid players (around 925) playing against standard par.

if we set rec player par (~850 or lower), it would probably be around 108. :)

Pretty solid course. I will try to get a review for it sometime this week.

I also add 2-5 pictures per hole to give a good perspective.

Latest posts