• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Choking up on the disc

Where does the rim of the disc contact your palm?

• On the life line

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Below the life line

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Above the life line

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Sidewinding is my hero

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Where does the rim of the disc contact your palm when gripping. Mine pretty much sits in the life line (the crease that runs at a 45 degree angle from your wrist to the knuckle of your index finger. At an Avery Jenkins driving clinic he said that he likes to "choke up" on the disc more than most people and he showed that he puts the rim about 1/2" lower than but still parallel with the life line.

Has anyone experimented with different degrees of choke up? It seems that the lower you put the disc below the lifeline the easier it would be go get nose down.

I have never heard of this...I use a modified fan grip for all my shots.

Having said that, I voted that sidewinding is my hero:gross:

Im assuiming life line is the seam of the hand? I try to get it above that but it doesnt want to go so it winds up resting right on it.

The DGR article actually says you want it at or above the seam. You go below it and the disc is raised at an agle to reach where it should be between your middle and index finger; if I am understanding what you are talking about.

I do move my thumb more "out" on the rim to try to help keep nose down.

Another reason Avery chokes up so much is to keep the heel of his thumb off of the top of the disc. He believes this gives him less resistance when the disc comes out of his hand.

I put it above the life line in order to get the nose down. If I lower the disc to the life line or below it, I would be throwing nose up.

I would have to hold a disc to see, but I think it's right at that line. Maybe slightly higher toward the thumb.

Take your throwing hand and touch your thumb to your pinky. A crease will form on the bottom left of your palm to between your pointing and middle fingers. You want your disc parrallel with this line.

Here's one where you can see the choke up in action from the front view.

Attachments

• Avery.jpg
    Avery.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 88
On the life line. Just seems natural and never really tried anything else.

The way he explained his grips does exactly what he said, decreases drag as the disc leaves his hand and increases pivot point. The key to his grip is phenomenal hand strength. Which is one of the reasons he gets so much pop as his pinch strength is huge. His grip isn't wrong, nor is it for everyone. Another key to this grip is correct wrist angle and pull line to correct for the possibilities of nose up. Also strength of forcing the disc nose down helps in this, as Avery pulls kind of high, but he has the force and correct wrist angle to correct throw nose down.

For those people having trouble, the life line is the line labeled No.1
390px-Les_lignes_de_la_main_Artlibre.png

I have the disc resting below the life line. (More toward the pinky finger) It just feels funny in my hand at the life line or higher. I don't find that I have any real nose-up issues.

*shrugs* Different strokes for different folks

Sidewinding, you're my hero...

Attachments

• ferris07.jpg
    ferris07.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts