• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Colorado road trip. DG, Hiking, Breweries

InnocentCrook

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My brother in law and I are planning a week long trip to CO this late May/early June. Basically fly into Denver and then do a large clockwise loop through the state hitting up disc golf courses, national parks/hiking spots, and breweries.

Our rough sketch of the trip goes like this:

5/26: Fly into Denver, pick up rental car, catch a Reds/Rockies game at Coors Field

5/27: Drive from Denver to Great Sand Dunes NP via 285 south, with a stop in Salida to play Poncha Springs DGC. Stay somewhere in the vicinity of GSDNP.

5/28: Spend most of the day at GSDNP then drive to Pagosa Springs.

5/29: Play 2 or 3 Pagosa Springs courses. (Elk Hill, Reservoir Hill, Cloman Park). Drive to Durango.

5/30: Spend the day at Mesa Verde National Park

5/31: Light hiking around Durango then drive to Montrose, CO.

6/1: Throw a round at Baldridge DGC in Montrose then spend the rest of the day at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

6/2: Drive back to Denver from Montrose. Possibly play CO Mountain College DGC and Ghost Town on the way back into Denver.

6/3: Fly home.

Any locals see any hiccups in this plan?
Restaurants and breweries worth hitting up?

I'm completely familiar with the route you have planned, and I don't really see a problem with being able to pull it off, if you stay organized. I wish I could do the trip myself.

I'm completely familiar with the route you have planned, and I don't really see a problem with being able to pull it off, if you stay organized. I wish I could do the trip myself.

Thanks, I thought it seemed pretty solid. I think there should be plenty of time in there for some leeway or last minute tweaks.

None of the drives are longer than 5 hours, hiking and some interesting, lesser known NPs, breweries all over the state, great weather and beautiful terrain. I could honestly make CO a yearly trip.

I was in Colorado last year. You guys are going to have a blast! Enjoy!

I was in Colorado last year. You guys are going to have a blast! Enjoy!

We were there a few years back (and a couple years prior to that) but mostly stuck around Denver/Ft. Collins/Boulder and Rocky Mountain NP. Can't wait to see the rest of the state.

I love it there. If I ever had to sell my property and move, CO would be at the top of the relocation list.

Beautiful area for driving. We stayed in Pagosa Springs last year, but I wasn't able to throw. There are three solidly rated courses there, FWIW.

Beautiful area for driving. We stayed in Pagosa Springs last year, but I wasn't able to throw. There are three solidly rated courses there, FWIW.

Yep. We hope to hit all 3. Pagosa is the only stop on the trip where we'll likely get in multiple rounds. All the rest are mostly to break up drives and such.

Fatality accident on the pass a few days ago involving Texans here for spring break. Snow storm and they hit the barrier at the overlook coming down the pass. Was inspecting the damage when another car slid into him and killed the poor guy. Didn't fault the driver due to low visibility and snow/icy roads.

Wolf Creek pass is deadly, be careful driving around here. I've hit two deer and missed several more in my short time living here.

Fatality accident on the pass a few days ago involving Texans here for spring break. Snow storm and they hit the barrier at the overlook coming down the pass. Was inspecting the damage when another car slid into him and killed the poor guy. Didn't fault the driver due to low visibility and snow/icy roads.

Wolf Creek pass is deadly, be careful driving around here. I've hit two deer and missed several more in my short time living here.

Yeah, we did the run from Durango to Pagosa Springs in the dark. I was certain we were going to come around a corner into a herd of whatever. Fun, though!

Yeah, we did the run from Durango to Pagosa Springs in the dark. I was certain we were going to come around a corner into a herd of whatever. Fun, though!

Sounds like the rural country roads around where I live. Minus the mountains, we just have steep hills.

6/2: Drive back to Denver from Montrose. Possibly play CO Mountain College DGC and Ghost Town on the way back into Denver.

Just my 2 cents: I'd play Bailey instead of Ghost Town. While Ghost Town is an interesting place, the actual golf is meh.

Just my 2 cents: I'd play Bailey instead of Ghost Town. While Ghost Town is an interesting place, the actual golf is meh.

Yeah, we are mostly considering it based on the uniqueness.

Played Beaver and Bailey (I liked Bailey a little more) on a previous trip. If time allows we may play it again on the way out of Denver, but our return route will be on I70 and not 285.

Yeah, we are mostly considering it based on the uniqueness.

Played Beaver and Bailey (I liked Bailey a little more) on a previous trip. If time allows we may play it again on the way out of Denver, but our return route will be on I70 and not 285.

Ah, then nevermind - I actually looked at your courses played before suggesting that (you don't have Bailey marked as played). If you have played it already, Ghost Town is worth the stop.

Ah, then nevermind - I actually looked at your courses played before suggesting that (you don't have Bailey marked as played). If you have played it already, Ghost Town is worth the stop.

Seriously? If that's the case then my whole "100th course played" being Iffy Hollers is out the window.

I wonder if I've missed others...

Going to check now.

Just checked and it's in there. Not sure what you were looking at.

I just noticed I have Beaver in my favorites and not Bailey. Possible that's what you were seeing?

Latest posts