• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Yeah, MJ can rip that thing perfectly. I always thought it was odd her didn't bag a buzzz, but I guess when you can toss a Comet that well, there's really no reason to.

The Buzzz and Comet pair really well together. I think he does carry 1. At least that's what his profile on the Discraft page says.

I'd heard he replaced his Predators with Machetes. Why won't this guy do an ITB for us Discraft fans?

I've got a 165g Z-Line Comet that I love the flight of but dislike two things about it: 1) the plastic feels a little too slick for my liking and 2) it's too light for me to feel like I can give it a full rip.

If I move to the ESP line will that give me a better grip? Should I go up to 171g or all the way up to 180g?

Thanks!

TripleB

I've got a 165g Z-Line Comet that I love the flight of but dislike two things about it: 1) the plastic feels a little too slick for my liking and 2) it's too light for me to feel like I can give it a full rip.

If I move to the ESP line will that give me a better grip? Should I go up to 171g or all the way up to 180g?

Thanks!

TripleB

If you haven't tried X plastic, I think that's a logical next step. X plastic is hard to describe but it's definitely grippier than Z.

Are you sure it's the weight? In general, I find that when people think there's a weight difference it has more to do with other parts of the feel, or with the tendency to turn at high speeds. Even sponsored players who have held tons of plastic can easily misidentify max weight discs as lighter, or lighter discs as heavier.

From how you described your Comet's flight in that other thread, the X plastic will also give you a left to right flight or be useful for high anhyzer shots. It may still punish your full power throw if there's any "herky-jerky" motion (to use Barry Schultz's words), but it will go FAH if thrown smoothly with the right hyzer.

If you're going to get one, I'd say get X in the 170-180 range. I suppose it depends more on what's available than one weight being particularly desirable.

Yeah I agree to look at X. It has good grip after it scuffs up a little, and good durability still in the Comet mold. It is less durable than ESP but in a mid shape like a Comet it will last a long time. I've had my X Comet for a year and it still doesn't flip on me at full power, of course each disc starts with different stabilities I'm just highlighting the wear characteristics. Comets are meant to be glidey long discs so maybe stay in that 168-176 range? I don't think it matters much though. If I wanted 171 and they just had 180 I wouldn't really care, but a 165 compared to a 180 is getting to that significant weight difference. However I think disc shape and plastic type matter more at this point by quite a bit.

Really though X and ESP are both more grippy than Z. Either one will be good if you enjoy the Comet flight.

I throw 180g Comets. I still cannot rip them with full power without them turning over. Comets are for smooth buttery shots that stay neutral to a little fade, where the Buzzz is the opposite, full power rips that get neutral to a little fade. One doesn't power up well, and the other doesn't power down as well.

As for plastic, if you like the flight of Z, take some sandpaper and buff in some rough edges for gripping.

I'll second the suggestion to go with X plastic. My 175g X Comet can be thrown on (and hold) many angles. I like for wooded that must hold a straight line between 200 and 275 ft.

If you haven't tried X plastic, I think that's a logical next step. X plastic is hard to describe but it's definitely grippier than Z.

Are you sure it's the weight?

From how you described your Comet's flight in that other thread, the X plastic will also give you a left to right flight or be useful for high anhyzer shots. It may still punish your full power throw if there's any "herky-jerky" motion (to use Barry Schultz's words), but it will go FAH if thrown smoothly with the right hyzer.

If you're going to get one, I'd say get X in the 170-180 range. I suppose it depends more on what's available than one weight being particularly desirable.

I have a Buzzz X-Line, and I don't care for it very much....sort of reminds me of the star plastic from Innova. But I have a Ringer (well, used to have a Ringer until my 10 year old decided he liked my 174g Ringer better than his 165g Ringer) in the X-Line and it feels a lot better than the Buzzz.

When the Z doesn't slip out of my hand (or I don't grip lock it for fear of it slipping out of my hand) I get a perfectly straight flight out of the Z-Line. It may be something else because I have a 167g DX Leopard that I love.

I would like to use my Comet as my dead straight mid to go along with my overstable Roc and understable Manta (that actually flies like the Comet just further). Thought of adding a Stratus as a left to right disc.

Thank you for your help and advice!

TripleB

I picked up a super pearly pink Z-Comet the other day(Non BigZ). She's a beauty...but woobuddy it's got some stability to it. I've thrown comets off and on for close to 15 years and this thing is a pig for a Comet. Anybody else stumble across some of these more overstable Comets lately?

You guys convinced me to try a Comet. Ordered a Big Z max weight from Amazon. And you're all right. This thing is beautiful in flight. It's also incredibly large, which is slightly off-putting, but it just flies so damn nice.

You guys convinced me to try a Comet. Ordered a Big Z max weight from Amazon. And you're all right. This thing is beautiful in flight. It's also incredibly large, which is slightly off-putting, but it just flies so damn nice.

Large diameter mids are the bees knees.
Backbone of disc golf.

I have a Buzzz X-Line, and I don't care for it very much....sort of reminds me of the star plastic from Innova. But I have a Ringer (well, used to have a Ringer until my 10 year old decided he liked my 174g Ringer better than his 165g Ringer) in the X-Line and it feels a lot better than the Buzzz.

When the Z doesn't slip out of my hand (or I don't grip lock it for fear of it slipping out of my hand) I get a perfectly straight flight out of the Z-Line. It may be something else because I have a 167g DX Leopard that I love.

I would like to use my Comet as my dead straight mid to go along with my overstable Roc and understable Manta (that actually flies like the Comet just further). Thought of adding a Stratus as a left to right disc.

Thank you for your help and advice!

TripleB

I'd still recommend trying an X Comet at some time. But maybe you should check it out in a store to know if you like the grip. I think mine feels nice. I've never thrown an X Buzzz.

Since it seems like a grip issue, here's what I do. I love Z plastic but can identify with your grip issues. Personally, I lick my fingers before many throws. Maybe some folks would get grossed out, but it's worth a try with the Comet you already have.

I'm not a big supporter of ESP Comets but maybe it's because I've only thrown one. It was a bit flat and would allow you to throw it full power, but unfortunately it doesn't have quite as much glide as my other Comets. I haven't tried Big Z, but that also would be an option if it's just a grip thing. I haven't thrown them either, but I hear good things. I'd recommend holding ESP and Big Z (and X) to see how they feel. The advantage of that is that you also get to see how much dome there is before you buy. I'm of the opinion that dome is a good thing on Comets.

I picked up a super pearly pink Z-Comet the other day(Non BigZ). She's a beauty...but woobuddy it's got some stability to it. I've thrown comets off and on for close to 15 years and this thing is a pig for a Comet. Anybody else stumble across some of these more overstable Comets lately?

Does it happen to be one of the MJ signature Comets? I've come across a couple Comets that were beefy (as far as Comets go, that is). Most overstable was a max weight Ledgestone Ti from 2015, but the pretty MJ Signature Z Comets from pretty recently are also somewhat beefy. I think I posted a picture of the two that I bought earlier in this same thread.

Since it seems like a grip issue, here's what I do. I love Z plastic but can identify with your grip issues. Personally, I lick my fingers before many throws. Maybe some folks would get grossed out, but it's worth a try with the Comet you already have.

:D I do the exact same thing...something I carried over from playing tennis. My hands are quite dry, even in Summer, so I have to lick them to keep a grip on the racquet...well, disc now!

Looking at going at least a little heavier than the the 165g I got...if nothing else it's sort of a mental thing now with the 165g. Probably go at least 168 but am thinking about 171g.

According to a certain website the ESP and the X have the exact same softness and grip...what makes so many people prefer the X-Line over the ESP line?

Thanks for everyone!

TripleB

^I have only seen a half dozen of each recently, I know others have thrown and own way more than me. It just seems that ESP tend to be flatter and X tend to have more shoulder, which means straighter rather than flippy...flat ones often turn more in this mold. Both plastics are good. I have thrown some ESP's even 30' farther than my X, but they have showed more turn. I have thrown ESP's that are just as straight as my X. It depends on the specific disc. It is worth saying my X initially felt like a hollow thuddy plustic when I would hold or tap it...hard to describe plastic feel/sound...but as it got scuffs and stuff it felt less "cheap". Really enjoy it. I also really like ESP feel. Personally I would throw either and not care as long as I like the shape of the Comet.

According to a certain website the ESP and the X have the exact same softness and grip...what makes so many people prefer the X-Line over the ESP line?

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. As far as plastic goes, I do tend to prefer ESP over X for most molds, though I think the X is more grippy and softer. But slowplastic said it pretty well. X just seems to mold up some nice Comets, for whatever reason. Good glide, and "stable" (without being overstable). I'm sure there are great ESP Comets, but X has a great reputation.

^I have only seen a half dozen of each recently, I know others have thrown and own way more than me. It just seems that ESP tend to be flatter and X tend to have more shoulder, which means straighter rather than flippy...flat ones often turn more in this mold. Both plastics are good. I have thrown some ESP's even 30' farther than my X, but they have showed more turn. I have thrown ESP's that are just as straight as my X. It depends on the specific disc. It is worth saying my X initially felt like a hollow thuddy plustic when I would hold or tap it...hard to describe plastic feel/sound...but as it got scuffs and stuff it felt less "cheap". Really enjoy it. I also really like ESP feel. Personally I would throw either and not care as long as I like the shape of the Comet.

That's pretty much my experience also. I like to add, that my ESP Comet is more stable than my X one ... and that the X Comet is more picky concerning throwing form. The ESP Comet 171g is my favorite disc.

I'd still recommend trying an X Comet at some time.

It just seems that ESP tend to be flatter and X tend to have more shoulder, which means straighter rather than flippy...flat ones often turn more in this mold.

I'm trusting you all on this one. :D Just ordered a 169g X Comet.

Thanks for the help!!!

TripleB

Looking to replace a beat, fairly flat KC roc that flips up, flies long with glide and finishes with a mellow, penetrating fade.

Have a max weight CFR Z Comet, flies very stable with a gentle fade. Looking to pick up a comet to A. replace that perfectly worn in roc and B. pair with a max weight Z buzz as a better option for powered down straight shots and powered up flip-to-flat shots.

I have an X comet 175ish g too - I imagine this would be the logical recommendation, but I'm not a huge fan of this mold in X plastic. Should I maybe check out an ESP Comet in the lower 170s and maybe on the flatter side? Or BigZ? How do these compare in stability to Z and X? I really want a little bit of turn at higher power with a little fade.

I grabbed a 172 blue Z Comet and I'm loving it. I did not like my X Comet but it's probably just because I wasn't a good enough player back then to appreciate it. This Z Comet is one of those discs that had me scratching my head from the first throw as to what took me so long to join the party.