• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

This Z Comet is one of those discs that had me scratching my head from the first throw as to what took me so long to join the party.

My Z Comet had me scratching my head wondering why everyone thought so highly of the Comet! :)

I have since learned to appreciate it a little more but needed something a bit more grippy so went with the X!

Enjoy!!!

TripleB

So I'm looking for a beaded US mid and the Comet seems to be the only one that is Roc-like in feel. What would be a recommended plastic and weight if I'm looking for something workably US but won't flip under full power? I had a Z but it fell out of my bag on the course and I just never replaced it. I've been using a Champ Mako3 but it just doesn't feel right in the hand like my Z did. The Z never really showed enough turn for what I was looking for but it was a great straight flyer (something I now have a KC Roc for.

So I'm looking for a beaded US mid and the Comet seems to be the only one that is Roc-like in feel. What would be a recommended plastic and weight if I'm looking for something workably US but won't flip under full power? I had a Z but it fell out of my bag on the course and I just never replaced it. I've been using a Champ Mako3 but it just doesn't feel right in the hand like my Z did. The Z never really showed enough turn for what I was looking for but it was a great straight flyer (something I now have a KC Roc for.

ESP is typically a good slightly understable Comet and then a X Comet is for the truly flippy when seasoned Comet. I still bag a heavily seasoned Z Comet for the slightly understable slot but would happily put an ESP back into bag to replace it if necessary.

You can also try a MJ Z Comet. They are less stable than a fresh Z and grippier.

My MJ Z is more overstable than my Z, though maybe that's not the norm.

I'd go heavy X. If you like it, it will last a decent time and then you can figure out if you want to replace it or start a cycle.

My MJ Z is more overstable than my Z, though maybe that's not the norm.

I'd go heavy X. If you like it, it will last a decent time and then you can figure out if you want to replace it or start a cycle.

I'd love a more HSS MJ Z, akin to 2015 Ledgestone Ti. The 5 I have are all equivalent to a fresh max weight X with nice dome. Nothing wrong with that, but I still prefer the fresh X.

Bump for putting comets back in my bag for the winter time. A 177 2R LE ESP comet and a beat 178ish x comet. I might not put ghosts back in my bag when spring rolls around. Love throwing Comets so much!

Bump for putting comets back in my bag for the winter time. A 177 2R LE ESP comet and a beat 178ish x comet. I might not put ghosts back in my bag when spring rolls around. Love throwing Comets so much!

I'm having an internal struggle with my mid's and the Comet is at the root of it all. Been throwing Aurora's for the past 4-5 months and they've been performing really great, but with winter coming, I don't want to risk losing the finely tuned lineup that I have. So, I'll probably put Comet's back in my bag for winter play and run the risk of all my Aurora's sitting on the shelf come spring time ;)

Are MJ Z Comets still out there? Now that I've got a few back in the bag, it's time to build up a stack again. Glad I kept 5 or so though - especially the 2R LE ESPs, and my long time friend my pink z comet (first one I ever bought, only one with an ace)

Are MJ Z Comets still out there? Now that I've got a few back in the bag, it's time to build up a stack again. Glad I kept 5 or so though - especially the 2R LE ESPs, and my long time friend my pink z comet (first one I ever bought, only one with an ace)

Which MJ comets are you referring to? The silhouette stamp or his new signature stamp?

yqXxcu2.jpg

ldis-cometmj-z.jpg

Both I guess? I'd like to have the silhouette stamp too. Is the tour series limited like innova does? Or is that stock stamp Z now?

Both I guess? I'd like to have the silhouette stamp too. Is the tour series limited like innova does? Or is that stock stamp Z now?

The signature comet isn't the stock comet now...at least not that I'm aware of. I do believe they're are sold like the Sexton Firebird or McPro Aviar...a percentage goes to MJ for tour money.

The silhouette's are hard to come by. I tried to buy some back when they came out and couldn't get my hands on any.

The signature comet isn't the stock comet now...at least not that I'm aware of. I do believe they're are sold like the Sexton Firebird or McPro Aviar...a percentage goes to MJ for tour money.

The silhouette's are hard to come by. I tried to buy some back when they came out and couldn't get my hands on any.

MJ ran a special series himself last year as a fundraiser. I think the silhouette is his personal stamp... Look on the Ask MJ thread

The MJ sig Z Comet aren't quite like the Innova releases because they are readily available at retailers. It's not a stock Z but not limited either.

The special TI silhouette ones MJ sold to raise tour funds. Hard to get.

I tried to get one last year as well. He says he tries to get them to new people each year if possible so just keep on the list I suppose.

I've never met him in person and am just a fan. I understand he doesn't want to spent too much time mailing discs and probably gives them to people he knows first. If I ever got one I'd be super happy otherwise I've got other comets to throw

Hey I own a max weight Z Comet and a 171g ESP which I'm trying to find a happy medium between. They have similar dome and PLH. The Z has less glide and carry than I want and is just a smidge more stable than I need, but the ESP is just a bit too flippy, but has the nice glide I want.

I'm thinking about trying to split the hair and pickup a premium comet in between the two. The problem is, these two vary in weight and plastic, and the Z is actually somewhat seasoned too. So what do I adjust to get more glide, a tiny bit more turn, and a little fade? I have an X Comet but I really like this mold in premium plastic, which I find somewhat ironic BTW based on how old school the mold is.

Thinking an ESP or BigZ at about 175g to split the difference. Comments? Not throwing these super far, and assume I have smooth enough form to throw that X Comet straight at 70-80%.

Hey I own a max weight Z Comet and a 171g ESP which I'm trying to find a happy medium between. They have similar dome and PLH. The Z has less glide and carry than I want and is just a smidge more stable than I need, but the ESP is just a bit too flippy, but has the nice glide I want.

I'm thinking about trying to split the hair and pickup a premium comet in between the two. The problem is, these two vary in weight and plastic, and the Z is actually somewhat seasoned too. So what do I adjust to get more glide, a tiny bit more turn, and a little fade? I have an X Comet but I really like this mold in premium plastic, which I find somewhat ironic BTW based on how old school the mold is.

Thinking an ESP or BigZ at about 175g to split the difference. Comments? Not throwing these super far, and assume I have smooth enough form to throw that X Comet straight at 70-80%.

I choose to throw Elite X and ESP Comets myself. Most all the ESP's I have seen are fairly flat for Comets. And, they turn over much more readily than Zs, even up to max weights.

If it must be premium plastic, and you want more glide and carry, then go with lighter Elite Zs. I don't have a lot of experience with light weight Z Comets yet, but they would probably need to go under 170gms, even down to 165gms, to get the carry that you are looking for. At very light weights, the discs will be even more touchy, requiring clean throws for success. I think 164-165 gms is about as light as I generally see them selling for right now.

If you can find a domey ESP, that might do the trick also.