• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Just de bagged both z comets from my bag this weekend. Two months in to the sport, reading all of ya'lls comments, researching, I wanted to fall in love with these discs so badly. They do cool stuff, and I can tell that they do what you tell them to, so as noted if they are flying all over the place it's probably bad form.

That being said, if I am just throwing them repeatedly in a field, all is well. HOWEVER, when I pull one out of the bag for a shot on the course the rim is too unique and compared to everything else that is working for me the disc requires like an entire mental and physical reset mid round to get it to perform properly. It seems like about 40% of the time it does what I think it is going to do. Thats a problem, that I repeatedly identified. I can however pull out a buzzz ss, or Mako3 and get them to work much more consistently. I don't know.

Not bashing the disc. It's the one I give a new person showing up to intro the game to and I know it's rock solid but for me personally, I had to chop it and move on. Too many mids in my bag....time to go. Proves there's something for everyone I guess.

Just de bagged both z comets from my bag this weekend. Two months in to the sport, reading all of ya'lls comments, researching, I wanted to fall in love with these discs so badly. They do cool stuff, and I can tell that they do what you tell them to, so as noted if they are flying all over the place it's probably bad form.

That being said, if I am just throwing them repeatedly in a field, all is well. HOWEVER, when I pull one out of the bag for a shot on the course the rim is too unique and compared to everything else that is working for me the disc requires like an entire mental and physical reset mid round to get it to perform properly. It seems like about 40% of the time it does what I think it is going to do. Thats a problem, that I repeatedly identified. I can however pull out a buzzz ss, or Mako3 and get them to work much more consistently. I don't know.

Not bashing the disc. It's the one I give a new person showing up to intro the game to and I know it's rock solid but for me personally, I had to chop it and move on. Too many mids in my bag....time to go. Proves there's something for everyone I guess.

I'm definitely the same way-- I prefer the more rounded blunt rim rather than the traditional beaded rim (think Buzzz vs. Roc), but the Comet is such a unique disc and the flight can't be replicated. The closest I've gotten is the RPM Piwakawaka (plus it has the best name on the disc golf market ;)). It's a very similar disc, with a much more comfortable rim and hand feel. If you really like the flight of the Comet but hate the feel, I'd check out a Piwak. (I know this is the Comet thread so I should probably be trying to sell the Comet more! But I figured I'd offer up this info since it's relevant. :thmbup:)

HOWEVER, when I pull one out of the bag for a shot on the course the rim is too unique and compared to everything else that is working for me the disc requires like an entire mental and physical reset mid round to get it to perform properly. It seems like about 40% of the time it does what I think it is going to do. Thats a problem, that I repeatedly identified.

this is exactly my experience with comets. the flight path is great and something I'd like to have in my bag, but what I would describe as the "weird hand feel" of a comet gets in my head

I know this is the love thread, LOL, so I didn't mean to bring any hate. Definitely not hating. Just as a beginner reading through this you'd imagine this thing is magical based on feedback but I am honestly getting better and more consistent results with some other options. As a beginner there is this pressure to "throw what everyone else thinks is great." Trust me, my bag is being built by following mostly generic trends, but this is probably the first...."mehhhhh I gotta let this thing go and move on." Maybe I will revisit in a year and fall in love.

On the flip side I took my daughter yesterday for her 2nd time out and gave her a putter and a comet. I respect the glide. She weighs 102lbs and was maxing 150 feet straight a few times which was amazing to see!

Maybe I will revisit in a year and fall in love.

You are wise to revisit any disc that doesn't make the cut for you at this early stage. Believe me, in two years NOTHING will fly the same for you as it does now.

It took two to three years for my bag to settle down enough for me to start buying back-up discs. It's a journey, fortunately a fascinating one.

I say all the time that the reason the Buzzz was a revelation to players was it was a midrange you threw like a driver. Old-school Roc/Comet mids you throw more like a putter.

When I started playing, putters and mids were basically all we had and we threw them all the time. The drivers were the oddball "have to think about what I'm doing and adjust" discs. By the mid-2000's that script had flipped; people could flick discs like a Beast so they started by throwing drivers. The "weird hand feel" discs switched to the putters and mids. Right as that was going on, the Buzzz came out. A Buzzz you throw low and hard like a driver, no adjustment necessary. Since then, that design has been copied over and over to where you now have a ton of mids like that. There are a bunch of options of midranges that new players can throw like their drivers and get good results.

The Comet is a totally different thing. I've got as many posts in here as anybody, and I don't recommend Comets to new players. Back when I did, they all either a) hated it or b) overpowered it and used it as a flip disc.

The only scenario I'd recommend a Comet to a new player is if they told me they were going old-school and learning by only throwing Aviars and Stingrays. In that case, a Comet would fit in nicely with what they were doing. Otherwise, it's kinda a zen thing; it's a more advanced approach to the problem. You end up with absurd things like "throw it softer, it will go farther" that start to make sense when you get there.

IF you get there. Like I said before, there are a ton on mids out there that will let you torque monkey the daylights out of them. Most of the best players around throw them. The Comet might not ever be anything you need.

They are really cool if you ever do, though.

I say all the time that the reason the Buzzz was a revelation to players was it was a midrange you threw like a driver. Old-school Roc/Comet mids you throw more like a putter.

When I started playing, putters and mids were basically all we had and we threw them all the time. The drivers were the oddball "have to think about what I'm doing and adjust" discs....

Hey so I was wondering today what was the progression to the release of the Comet? Was it like APX, Hawk, Comet or more like Wasp, Comet, Buzzz.... ?

Seems impressive if they magically stumbled on that design first try. Especially without computer models and test molds. I imagine with the cost and whatnot that they took a rough stab at a shape and just made it.

Who designed the Comet? Any legends or rumours? What do you know 3P?

Hey so I was wondering today what was the progression to the release of the Comet? Was it like APX, Hawk, Comet or more like Wasp, Comet, Buzzz.... ?

Seems impressive if they magically stumbled on that design first try. Especially without computer models and test molds. I imagine with the cost and whatnot that they took a rough stab at a shape and just made it.

Who designed the Comet? Any legends or rumours? What do you know 3P?
Straight from memory I think it was Magnet/Cyclone/Hawk/Typhoon/Comet/X-Clone/Cyclone 2/Stratus/X2/XL/MRX/APX from '93-'98. It was just part of a string of mostly really good golf discs that Discraft released. Before those discs came out, Lightning had a better line-up of golf discs than Discraft.

I'm sure Jim Kenner designed it. I don't know anything about it, but it came out in '95 shortly after the Ontario Roc came out in '94. At the time, it seemed like a straight up Roc copy and the Ontario Roc to this day is the disc that is most similar to it. The Roc was converted to the Rancho mold in '97, so there was really only a brief time that the Ontario Roc and Comet were in regular production at the same time. The Rancho Roc started out a lot more OS than a Comet so at that point the Roc and Comet didn't seem as similar as they had.

At any rate, the only rumor I've ever heard about it was that they made a Roc copy. They just happened to do it while the Roc was the Ontario Roc, so it flies like an O Roc.

It has a slightly larger diameter, which in the 90's wasn't even noticeable. Now with the denser plastics that don't shrink, put a Comet in the bag next to a Roc and you notice the difference. So obviously there was more to it than just copying the Roc.

It seems a lot like a Roc, though.

Also something to note about those 90's discs is that all of them had a basic Innova equivalent disc, and the general rule of thumb was that the Innova disc would be a tick more overstable and ride a lower line than the Discraft disc i.e. you throw a Magnet a little higher than an Aviar for best results. Throwing the high line is more of a touch/finesse thing with discs that glide, more of the Frisbee thing. The low line is where you torque monkey that thing. One thing that is fact is that if you have the arm speed to torque monkey, it's waaayyy easier. So the Discraft discs always involved a little more dedication to unlock their potential. There are discs from that era like the APX that I've seem glimpses of what they can do, but I just didn't put in the time to really unlock that.

So I totally get people when they decide the Comet isn't their thing.

Many Thanks!!! Much appreciated and especially noted that modern plastic + less shrinkage has been a large contribution to the Legend of the Comet.

I got my hands on some original (Saturn stamp) comets last year and they are not the same disc. As soon as you pick it up its noticeable, the mold excelled in the new plastic.

They probably thought hey a Roc is good, I bet if it had a bigger wing it would be better...

Last edited:

When I started playing, putters and mids were basically all we had and we threw them all the time. The drivers were the oddball "have to think about what I'm doing and adjust" discs. By the mid-2000's that script had flipped; people could flick discs like a Beast so they started by throwing drivers. The "weird hand feel" discs switched to the putters and mids. Right as that was going on, the Buzzz came out. A Buzzz you throw low and hard like a driver, no adjustment necessary. Since then, that design has been copied over and over to where you now have a ton of mids like that. There are a bunch of options of midranges that new players can throw like their drivers and get good results.

The Comet is a totally different thing. I've got as many posts in here as anybody, and I don't recommend Comets to new players. Back when I did, they all either a) hated it or b) overpowered it and used it as a flip disc.

The only scenario I'd recommend a Comet to a new player is if they told me they were going old-school and learning by only throwing Aviars and Stingrays. In that case, a Comet would fit in nicely with what they were doing. Otherwise, it's kinda a zen thing; it's a more advanced approach to the problem. You end up with absurd things like "throw it softer, it will go farther" that start to make sense when you get there.

IF you get there. Like I said before, there are a ton on mids out there that will let you torque monkey the daylights out of them. Most of the best players around throw them. The Comet might not ever be anything you need.

They are really cool if you ever do, though.
No wonder I love Comets and think the Buzzz is a useless brick ;)

No wonder I love Comets and think the Buzzz is a useless brick ;)
A Buzzz really doesn't go anywhere if you throw it like a Comet; it took me a really long time to understand why anybody liked them. Once I figured out how to throw one I understood why people liked them, but they just don't fit how I want to throw my mids.

A Buzzz really doesn't go anywhere if you throw it like a Comet; it took me a really long time to understand why anybody liked them. Once I figured out how to throw one I understood why people liked them, but they just don't fit how I want to throw my mids.

Well I suck at throwing drivers so yeah, a Buzzz will also suck.

*orders Cheetah*

What do yall throw in the stable/overstable slot to pair with a comet? I've tried rocs and didn't love them. I've learned I'm in the camp of throwing mids like putters. I have an Emac Truth that has nice stability, but I have to throw it harder than I like to. I want a disc I can throw into a headwind and trust it to not flip but still fade.

Last edited:
What do yall throw in the stable/overstable slot to pair with a comet? I've tried rocs and didn't love them. I've learned I'm in the camp of throwing mids like putters. I have an Emac Truth that has nice stability, but I have to throw it harder than I like to. I want a disc I can throw into a headwind and trust it to not flip but still fade.

Depends on how stable. Maybe a Z comet is what you want? If you want fade then maybe look at the wasp or champ roc3? Malta's are also nice.

Got my first taste of throwing comets on an open course with some wind. Makes me think MJ is a magician who happens to enjoy throwing frisbees...

I'd say Buzzz is lightly stable, 0.5 vs comet 0 see conversation above. I used to use a wasp to do dual duty with a sloppy fh, but currently I pair with a Hex.

That might be a question with no answer.

It comes up here and in the Roc thread. RocX? Buzzz OS? Gator? Drone? Millennium Taurus? Millennium Sentinel? RDG Gila? Lat 64 Anchor? DD Verdict? There isn't one people can agree on. Gator is too fast but RocX isn't overstable enough and don't like the feel of the Gila and... and... and...

Lots of options. Somebody will hate all of them. :|

I have a Champ Viper I throw there. I know...not helping.

Latest posts