• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
Some say I have both a Ron Russel Comet and a First Run Tourney Pro Comet I wouldn't mind making a fair coin off of...

On a more content related note, unless I'm throwing into the wind I throw the Comet for anything out to 380 now. The only holes at the local course I play the most that I have trouble parking with it are the ones that play over 400...

What's more, while I'm waiting for it to land, I get a great opportunity to work on my dance moves! CHA CHA CHA!!

Edit: funny to see people say when they get rusty they have to swap out Comets for overstable stuff. When I get rusty I find myself not turning the Comet enough! Take some fingers off the rim, lads! :lol:

SkaBob said:
Edit: funny to see people say when they get rusty they have to swap out Comets for overstable stuff. When I get rusty I find myself not turning the Comet enough! Take some fingers off the rim, lads! :lol:

For me I can't get the flight to manipulate properly on a consistent basis - basically all I get is straight shots and having a hard time getting turns to hold to the ground and nice gentle hyzers. Not that it's a bad thing, and I'm not necessarily swapping for overstable stuff (are rocs even considered overstable midranges nowadays?), just using rocs from super beat dx to kc pro for all my shots instead. Gives me a bit more confidence that I don't have to finesse the disc as much to get the flight I want.

oh, and I throw everything except drivers with a fan grip ;)

That's funny...after last night's throwing disaster, I was toying with the notion of putting the comets on the shelf for a little bit. Haven't been able to throw as much lately, so having control issues with the comet all of a sudden. Might keep one in the bag to work with, but probably going the route like the others and switching it up for something a little more stable.

So, I picked up an ESP stamped Comet the other day that has quite a bit of Z in it. Quite a bit stiffer than the normal run ESP's. If Discraft could run comets like this all the time, I would be a happy man. Love the flight of this thing. 300-330 on a rope with no problem.

Would a comet do anything different or better than a z buzzz? If yes what and why?

Drowsy said:
Would a comet do anything different or better than a z buzzz? If yes what and why?
It'll glide better, fly and especially finish straighter (almost all Buzzzes I've thrown have had a bit of natural turn, you need to hyzerflip them just a little to get them to go straight. Those that don't faded quite heftily), hold anhyzers better, flies as straight as a neutral putter on distances under 100', etc. etc.

The Buzzz is a very fast mid, and it's flight path and behavior when over and underpowered is more like that of a driver than the most classic mids. The Comet does things no other mid really does. The Axis gets close at times, but still isn't the same.

Fuse also competes with the Comet. Clarification to Buzzzes. Zs are the regular yardstick when it comes to Buzzzes and they have varied over time. Some don't flip and luckily those are the most common now. X Buzzzes do turn and fade a hair less than than non flipping Zs. Buzzzes go far with speed not with glide. Comets go farther than Buzzzes at way slower speeds and gliding like crazy with less fade. Still Comets need more height to go really far so that may confuse issues. Thrown low the Comet probably won't outdistance a Buzzz at least by much.

Comet totally trumps the Buzzz i places where the disc needs to move left to right soon and keep on moving to the right far. Buzzzes too start to move to the right fast but they'll drop fast annied and may flex out -certainly much more easily than Comets. Comets keep height when tilted absolutely superbly and Buzzzes imitate rocks. Being slow the Comet also won't skip the Buzzz can so it may be a pro or a con depending on the situation. Using Buzzzes and Comets together is A OK.

JR said:
Fuse also competes with the Comet.
Not from what I've seen. Fuse = understable, Comet = neutral. The Fuse only really competes with the Comet at holding anhyzers at slow speeds, but otherwise they're pretty different.

Comets are more HSS when released cleanly but both can be made to fly straight or move a lot to the right. Initial hyzer angle compensations vary between the disc per given flight path but both can be thrown with very similar flights. My Fuses also fade a little more. My preference is the Comet. Both penalize poor form hard.

I was just throwing my Z Comet at 2 km altitude courses (around Lake Tahoe) and it was seriously money in the thin air. Effortless distance, easy 300'+ on hyzer, straight, and anhyzer lines, tons and tons of glide. It replaced my Z Buzzz as mid-range of choice. Then I forgot it on a mountainside...oh well, need to get another one...ESP?

I prefer Z over ESP. ESP isn't as HSS, and for some reason I have difficulties getting a clean release with them.

JHern...I would get another Z...especially if you are playing mountain courses. The recent runs of ESP get chewed up pretty quickly on rocky/rough terrain. If you can find the semi-opaque Z-Comets, even better. They seem to be a little bit flatter than a normal Z...but still glide for days.

Latest posts