• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
I still haven't thrown a Comet yet. I've got sooo many mids I'm reluctant to try another one. Between my M1, Verdict, Truth, Fugitive, Core, Fuse, Meteor there's just no room for more.

JTdisc said:
I still haven't thrown a Comet yet. I've got sooo many mids I'm reluctant to try another one. Between my M1, Verdict, Truth, Fugitive, Core, Fuse, Meteor there's just no room for more.

After seeing all those it is for sure understandable. :D

But...If you ever get a chance you should try one. They need height like a Putter to get the most out of one. So remember that if you ever decide to try one.

The Fuse is so close that there might not be a reason to try the Comet unless you really love the Fuse and are curious if the closest competition is even better. I prefer the Comet but ymmv.

I dunno, I always thought the Comet had both more HSS and less LSS than most Fuses (in Z at least), but that the Fuse had a lot more OAT resistance. I don't have that expensive experience with Fuses though, but I have thrown them around on several occasions and do like the disc.

Anybody use Comets as a forehand disc? I am terrible with my forehand, but for whatever reason the Comet is the easiest mid for me to flick. Strange.

jubuttib said:
I dunno, I always thought the Comet had both more HSS and less LSS than most Fuses (in Z at least), but that the Fuse had a lot more OAT resistance. I don't have that expensive experience with Fuses though, but I have thrown them around on several occasions and do like the disc.

To me the Fuses i have are not more OAT resistant but are easier to release cleanly.

String i can only throw shorter approaches with the Comet and not necessarily well. So i use other discs fh.

Stringbean said:
Anybody use Comets as a forehand disc? I am terrible with my forehand, but for whatever reason the Comet is the easiest mid for me to flick. Strange.

Yeah, I use it for forehand. I only use forehand for approaches though and I dont have that much power. But I like that it hardly fades and that it glides nicely at slow speeds. I started using the Comet for FH anhyzer approaches but now also straight approaches when FH is my best option.

Stringbean said:

I used one for a little bit to help fix the OAT in my forehand. If I threw a Comet bad Forehand it turned into a roller :lol: . It for sure helped me fix my forehand.

Every disc can be a forehand disc. The Comet does feel quite nice when flicking for me, for whatever reason.

I learned a thing to make my fhs better so you guys inspired me to add the Comet to my fh disc test to be performed when i can. I just tilt the wrist farther bag and actively flick the wrist plus i tweaked the fingers to bow a little instead of being straight. Sure the curve the disc makes is shorter by a fraction but the finger spring is stronger and the discs flutter less often and less when they do. So the disc is more stable angles wise in the grip and possibly leaving with more spin too. I cannot say for sure because both can explain the lessened flutter. Gained a little average D.

Forehanding a Comet can be tough,but it can be done. It has the same benefits forehand as it does Backhand. It shows you if you have OAT in your throw. I'd probably still be throwing crappy forehands if it weren't for the Comet.

JR said:
I learned a thing to make my fhs better so you guys inspired me to add the Comet to my fh disc test to be performed when i can. I just tilt the wrist farther bag and actively flick the wrist plus i tweaked the fingers to bow a little instead of being straight. Sure the curve the disc makes is shorter by a fraction but the finger spring is stronger and the discs flutter less often and less when they do. So the disc is more stable angles wise in the grip and possibly leaving with more spin too. I cannot say for sure because both can explain the lessened flutter. Gained a little average D.

The same works for me regarding the bowed fingers. I think it creates a stronger pivot point and thus more spin.

Stringbean said:
JR said:

The same works for me regarding the bowed fingers. I think it creates a stronger pivot point and thus more spin.

Not sure about that because the lever is longer with straight fingers than bowed but i seem to be gain more than i lose with a much stronger finger spring. The grip is stronger so maintaining angles like intended helps too.

I tossed a worn x yesterday and was not able to reach back far and pound hard like with beefy warp speeders like the Boss. The disc turned just like it would bh with a pulled power control form. So it behaved identically in mild to moderate rear winds. I need to start slow just like bh and snap hard and then it works. Oh with sliw steps without turning the side fully at the target at the reach back. Pretty well mirrored to bh. Still the glide pushed it to 230' at best. Because my bh is cleaner i can power it more and in calm conditions have gotten a aecond run esp to 330'. Normally 300' though because of safety margin. So i can Roc and Buzz as far which is why the Comet sees more action at field practice. I do not remember when i threw my Comet on a course. Winds do not help.

I dug up esp and z Comets for the next session. They are more hss than the broken in x so i might dare to power it farther. I am too inexperienced for fast run ups and long reach backs even with beefy warp speeders. The consistency and accuracy is not. QOLS on a perfect s curve to 320' a few inches longer than Dominator for my fh record. The great thing is that my arm does nor hurt fh any more. My pec does from the most intensive field work ever. I am comparing about 90 different discs. Half way through. Rr Qols Boss D2 Gator Pig Rhyno are the best ones so far. The surprise was a slightly broken in 150 Dtar TB that is flatter and less lss and power hungry and longer than DX TBs.

For me, the straight fingers create more leverage but it also causes OAT. Not flutter but actual OAT where the center of spin isn't the center of the disc. Having a pinch point between my fingers and thumb seems to eliminate that OAT.

I noticed less oat with bowed fingers for sure. It might come from a grip that holds the disc more securely because for my short fingers there is more leverage against the rim so the disc does not wobble as easily because of the disc changing angles within the grip alone. That is how flimsy straight finger grip is for me at full power even with Bennett ring finger and pinky.

After noticing that i was pushing my fingers too far into discs fh thanks to hammer pound drill the bead on my 2nd run ESP and Z still felt worrying. It was too windy and i had pounded my arm out with too little warming up with drivers into headwinds. So with headwinds and aches the results were bad. Much later and hurting even more rear wind approaches were unclean and i do not wonder why. It hurt to reach back much. So other than the ESP flipping in rear winds and Z fading (blasphemy) on higher lower powered throws both looked likethe reverse of underpowered bhs. I just could not get enough throws in feeling good into rear winds so i need to test them later. They looked tempting and terrifying just like Comets do those that are learning. Fh i am. 300' is rare for me.

During the fh disc testing part 3 with 60 discs having been thrown i learned more about grip and wrist flicking body control and flights became more manipulable and subtle differences between discs became less meaningful just like it happens bh. Comet are so outside of normal flight characteristics that they create bag building issues if their difficulty can be overcome. Normal rules of bag building may not apply. The Comet steps on so many toes overlapping many different types of discs. In rear winds it competes with short fws in distance.

I really have not been throwing mids at all. My home course is a tweener park with holes long enough for a driver but once you drive you are in putter territory, so the mids ride around in the bag. We are playing a safari course for league, which is shorter and brought out the mids. Tonight I had a 220' slight downhill shot with a relatively low ceiling; I had a 178g X Comet in my bag that I got in a trade Saturday and had never thrown. I put it on a low line with a slight hyzer, and the disc went dead-nuts straight with a slight OAT wobble and slid right under the pin.

My partner had left early so I had Cali throw. I took a 177g Z Comet and took a chance on a slightly higher line trying to throw it in pin high and who cares if it goes long. I got it up too high but it rode just below the tree limbs and out clear past the basket where there was a longer drop off and ended up 160' past the pin. 380' downhill on a nice easy 70% pull with a bit of hyzer, which is really long for me even factoring in the dropoff.

I love Comets. I should throw them more often.

I wish i knew. Glo Z Buzzzes and Stalkers are usually noticeably more OS than regular Z versions and if the same is true of the Comet i think i may want one :) I test tossed a FR ESP Comet of smigles and that thing is radically better than 2nd runs or Zs in that thrown cleanly it does not flip. I like Latitude 64 Fuse with a blunt nose, concave wing and a fairly flat top in Opto but it flips about 2-3 degrees at my full power. It is much more neutral than the early Fuses i had. Unfortunately it is no match for the safety of the FR ESP Comet in that it resists flipping way more. The bad thing is that they are not easily available. The Comet may have a few feet of extra distance on the Fuse as well but the Fuse is the closest mid in distance to the Comet out of wide discs. Of the small driver like diameter mids Coyotes are a hair longer but unfortunately they flip even more. Or it can be a good thing for versatility if you build the bag properly and do not rely solely on the Coyote for mid duty and help it with a beefier disc.

Wow...this thread is still on the first page? Nice!

The Glow comets are more overstable than the normal Z Comets, by a pretty decent margin. A bit more like a Buzz SS, but not quite all the way there. I throw them when I want to REALLY crank on a shot, and not have to worry about flipping it too much.

I still prefer the normal Z Comets for every day use. After losing something like 8 Comets over the course of a summer (they're like Frank's Red Hot sauce... I throw that shit on everything!), I'm still struggling to get any beat in enough to call any of them my workhorse, so I use an ESP one to emulate a worn in Z one. Works pretty well, but it's easy to get past the disc, and end up right of target.

Latest posts