• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Concerning Night Golfing:

Paranoid as I am on this subject, I have to ask -

for opaque discs, if you tape the LEDs to the top, what happens if it lands upside down for some reason? Is it still visible?

Thanks for the useful p... oh, wait. Did you read the original post at all?

I think it's cute how everyone tries to be Prerube Jr. on this site lately.

Yes I did. My point is that many are already misinformed about glow golf, and then are led down the path of more misinformation. If you want to use ONLY GLOW IN THE DARK DISCS...that is fine, but don't do that simply cause you believe that there is no way to make non-glow discs work for you.

UV or "black light" is the best way to light up glow discs. Don't use those discs in the daytime because sunlight kills the glow properties of those discs. UV flashlights are hard on batteries, so I suggest rechargeables that are always fully charged. Heck you can even buy UV leds, but they last a very limited time with the 3 volt lithium batteries.

I play glow every Friday night, and it runs very smooth. You don't want to have a bunch of people pulling out flashlights every time they throw...it kills everyone's night vision.Of course it depends on the course, but flashlights should only be used to stay safe.

If you are worried about a disc landing on its back and not seeing the light on the front, then I suggest a small piece of glow tape. UV lights will find it even under leaves in most cases. If your disc is a day glo type in color, a UV flashlight will find it with ease...even under leaves...actually even easier than you will find it in full daylight.

Last edited:
For our league we allow one Glo disc, driver or mid, and one putters, Glo or not. So we have to charge each hole. It's whatever though, we're usually having too much fun to care lol.

Paranoid as I am on this subject, I have to ask -

for opaque discs, if you tape the LEDs to the top, what happens if it lands upside down for some reason? Is it still visible?

Depends on the color of the disc / led light as to how bright it shines through the back. But I will admit unless its a bright/white disc it isnt very bright. we play 2x a week and we do occasionally land a disc upside down. One or two of is is always carrying a small flashlight. We have never lost a disc or spent longer than maybe 5 minutes looking for it... The nice thing about the LED's to me is that they;

A. Burn far brighter than any glow disc period
B. Don't have to be charged with special lights that after a couple people trow after you and you get to the disc its barley glowing much anyway
C. LED's can flash and the flashing really help find the discs that are overturned because the blinking catches your eye

if you have a clear disc/semi clear disc, taping the led to the underside helps with aerodynamics and has less tendency to come off the disc. you can still see it through the disc just fine. yes led's are the best way to go, turning on and off your flashlight during a night round is a no-no..... :)

I think those with taped discs should get penalty strokes.

Man up and get some glow discs.

2nd, plus no lights in baskets and NO FLASHLIGHTS. We have a group the plays pretty regular on a hilly wooded course in NC and we make it through just fine. Except one broken ankle (Tpro I still think you were just drunk and faking it). There's nothing sweeter then making a long putt without seeing the basket then having anyone scramble to puTT cuz they see your disc hangN. We have a jar of infractions, $2 each time you use a flashlight, then 50 cents for walking infront of pad if everyone haven't thrown, drive shorter then 30 feet and a dollar if you fall. The money buys beverages for next week. SS rules

I remember when Ron got the ace when we were playing Glo :wall:.

How do you feel about my black lights in your bag idea. Would that be acceptable? Don't think it messed with night vision and keeps the disc nice and charged.

I carry 4 discs in a the bag. Put them in a square, with one disc on each side of the bag, then set your light right in the center. This will keep a charge on all 4 discs at once.

Yes I did. My point is that many are already misinformed about glow golf, and then are led down the path of more misinformation. If you want to use ONLY GLOW IN THE DARK DISCS...that is fine, but don't do that simply cause you believe that there is no way to make non-glow discs work for you.

UV or "black light" is the best way to light up glow discs. Don't use those discs in the daytime because sunlight kills the glow properties of those discs. UV flashlights are hard on batteries, so I suggest rechargeables that are always fully charged. Heck you can even buy UV leds, but they last a very limited time with the 3 volt lithium batteries.

I play glow every Friday night, and it runs very smooth. You don't want to have a bunch of people pulling out flashlights every time they throw...it kills everyone's night vision.Of course it depends on the course, but flashlights should only be used to stay safe.

If you are worried about a disc landing on its back and not seeing the light on the front, then I suggest a small piece of glow tape. UV lights will find it even under leaves in most cases. If your disc is a day glo type in color, a UV flashlight will find it with ease...even under leaves...actually even easier than you will find it in full daylight.

This is a great post. I wish you had done it to begin with.

You might misunderstand that I'm unyielding when it comes to what I use. The situation is not a blind loyalty to glow discs - it's just that, I already have glow discs, and I already have UV flashlights. Since I've already used the money on those discs, I was looking for a better way to charge them without spending more money, really. Then someone pointed out LEDs, so I began asking about those, mostly out of curiosity.

vonDrehle said:
How do you feel about my black lights in your bag idea. Would that be acceptable? Don't think it messed with night vision and keeps the disc nice and charged.

I might look into this, but the issue comes for me when the discs are on top of each other and just the outsides get charged, so you pull out a disc with two streaks and is otherwise dark. I might be placing my current blacklights incorrectly, though.

I carry 4 discs in a the bag. Put them in a square, with one disc on each side of the bag, then set your light right in the center. This will keep a charge on all 4 discs at once.

This... is actually an awesome idea in its simplicity. I will try this! Thanks!

Edit: How do you keep them from falling in on themselves, into a pile?

2nd, plus no lights in baskets and NO FLASHLIGHTS. We have a group the plays pretty regular on a hilly wooded course in NC and we make it through just fine. Except one broken ankle (Tpro I still think you were just drunk and faking it). There's nothing sweeter then making a long putt without seeing the basket then having anyone scramble to puTT cuz they see your disc hangN. We have a jar of infractions, $2 each time you use a flashlight, then 50 cents for walking infront of pad if everyone haven't thrown, drive shorter then 30 feet and a dollar if you fall. The money buys beverages for next week. SS rules

No lights on the baskets? Well, whatever works for you, but you have to understand a few things when you don't know where you're throwing...or only know sorta where you're throwing:

1. Every course is different...that may work with some and not for others
2. Older people don't have great night vision like some of you young bucks. :mad:
3. If you are a "dead balls on accurate" thrower (as I am with my flick) then you're now even with the rest of the throwers that are "guessing" where there're going.
4. THE MOST IMPORTANT...When you have 25-40 people showing up for glow as we do , there are always people seeing the course for the first time. Add the drinking etc...and it makes for a VERY VERY SLOW round. Certain people have check and recheck their line every throw. Lights on the baskets will save A LOT of time... trust me on this one.

My way may not be the best, but it sure is easy!

LED Disc Golf Lights OR Rod N' Bobb's Beacon Refills. They are in the fishing section.
+
White 3M medical tape
+
Basically any disc!

Depending on how dark it is, I have used these on Star plastic and I can see it just fine. If there is ambient light in the area and you need the disc to be brighter, attach one of these to a GLO disc. The thing is soooo bright that it's easier to find than during the day!!!

The white medical tape is lightweight and will NOT come off. I have had my discs float down streams and have never had to reapply the tape.

Agreed that night flight lights work the best! No lost discs yet an we play 1-2 times a week at night. Last night I was even throwing my yellow ESP XL without lights and it was pretty easy to find. Zero lost discs thus far. Threw my best round yet a +4 on the back 18 at La Mirada last night and it was pitch black. As far as LED's falling off, no issues there at all with the transparent duct tape. Have had some hard tree strikes without a problem.

^Sometimes the night time can help at a course with lots of trees...it helps get the trees out of your head. However, I have to disagree that it was 'pitch black' at LaMa. Every course I have played at night in LA, including a couple in the hills, always have enough ambient light to see bright colored discs unassisted all night long. Light Pollution!!! :)

When I played night golf up in Montana it was great, you can see the LED or glowstick a mile away, no problem. Down here, its much easier to lose track of because there are other bright things keeping the area lit.

Latest posts