• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Concerning Night Golfing:

Speedly

Birdie Member
Yeah, I know, another glo-discing thread.

I'll make it quick.

I have multiple glow discs and a UV flashlight. But I find it to be kind of a pain to, if I have a driver, mid, and putter, to pull one out and charge it before throwing each time, because there are generally only par 3s around my area, and a lot of holes are just driver -> mid -> putter holes. The only disc that I generally end up throwing more than once on a hole is the putter, so I end up having to charge a disc almost every throw.

It's kind of a pain in the butt.

I understand that there are LED lights you can attach to the discs and other ways to glow golf, but I'm just asking in the realm of glow discs - is there a better way to go about it, or do you just charge each time?

Do you use more than one disc when glow golfing, anyways?

Try taking a couple led lanterns (I have the ones from coleman that run about $10 each at walmart) and throwing them in the bag and it helps.

I play with my full bag of discs now even at night. I had the same problem with the charging thing and found it annoying as all get up... I now play with LED's from a great guy online. If you want more info on that let me know...

Make sure your light is the purple light- not white or bluish.

The stronger the light, the better the charge.
Some plastic can be charged for a long time by headlights and I've heard of folks using tin lined buckets with camera flashes, but most just use a blacklight.

I found a worthy upgrade going from a 9 to a 21 bulb light but, yes, you basically have to charge every hole. Not a big deal to me as I'm usually not in a rush for glo rounds.

Make sure your light is the purple light- not white or bluish.

The stronger the light, the better the charge.
Some plastic can be charged for a long time by headlights and I've heard of folks using tin lined buckets with camera flashes, but most just use a blacklight.

I found a worthy upgrade going from a 9 to a 21 bulb light but, yes, you basically have to charge every hole. Not a big deal to me as I'm usually not in a rush for glo rounds.

Try taking a couple led lanterns (I have the ones from coleman that run about $10 each at walmart) and throwing them in the bag and it helps.

I play with my full bag of discs now even at night. I had the same problem with the charging thing and found it annoying as all get up... I now play with LED's from a great guy online. If you want more info on that let me know...

My concern with LEDs is that you either have to drill holes in the discs to install them, or for ones that you don't have to mutilate the disc, you have to risk the LEDs being knocked off of their adhesive/velcro pads and never seeing it again.

What kind did you get?

Take some clear packing tape and use it to secure the led light

LED headlap still have to charge but you dont have to pull out you flashlight all the time.

Plus it is easy to find your way in the dark with the headlamp too.

My concern with LEDs is that you either have to drill holes in the discs to install them, or for ones that you don't have to mutilate the disc, you have to risk the LEDs being knocked off of their adhesive/velcro pads and never seeing it again.

What kind did you get?

I think he means to toss the lights in your bag while they're on so they charge while you throw the other discs. Is that right?

Red LEDs with a small piece of double sided tape (like the stuff used to attach the insulating shrink film to drafty windows) between the battery /LED and the disc, then use some of the clear duct tape over the whole setup. Good luck knocking that off.

So, I hate the heat and the sun so Night Golfing has become my thing playing about 2x a week. I started with a glow disc and didnt like the fact they dont glow very brightly and they need charging which ended up screwing up your night vision and was all around annoying.

I use lights from Night Flight Disc Golf online. The owners name is Dan and he is awesome. I use their "Flight Lights" at $2.50 each. They are bright, thin and light (< 2.5g). The Blue one burns crazy bright. I sandwhich the lights between 2 peices of packing tape to help them stay more waterproof (sprinklers at night) and to help the pull away from the tape when you take them off. I also use "Clear" Duct tape (yes it exists and almost any home depot has it for about $3 a roll) As long as the disc is clean and dry when you tape the light on it will not fall off (i've hit some trees pretty damn hard) For candy discs we tape them under shining up and on solid discs we tape them on top shining through the tape. No changes to flight of the discs at all that we have noticed.

The search engine is your friend. I have documnented how to glow on this site. I have been doing it for 15 years. No, packaging tape will only work until you hit a tree. No, you don't have to drill holes in your discs. Search Glow Golf.

The search engine is your friend. I have documnented how to glow on this site. I have been doing it for 15 years. No, packaging tape will only work until you hit a tree. No, you don't have to drill holes in your discs. Search Glow Golf.

Thanks for the useful p... oh, wait. Did you read the original post at all?

I think it's cute how everyone tries to be Prerube Jr. on this site lately.

glow discs

The easiest way I have found is to buy a 4-6" Uv hand held fluorescent tube lamp. You may have to look to find one. You put that in the bottom your bag and leave it turned on the whole round. You pull out your disc and its already glowing. You may have to position your discs in the bag to get a better glow or just attach a LED that's what I ended up doing. Either way Happy Night Golfing!

The easiest way I have found is to buy a 4-6" Uv hand held fluorescent tube lamp. You may have to look to find one. You put that in the bottom your bag and leave it turned on the whole round. You pull out your disc and its already glowing. You may have to position your discs in the bag to get a better glow or just attach a LED that's what I ended up doing. Either way Happy Night Golfing!

I tried this, and it ended up just giving me little streaks of glow on the sides. Is there a certain way you set it?

No that's just what happens, but I didn't have to pull my light out every time. The only other thing I thought was to get multiple lights.

Throw some little portable black lights in your bag and close it up. When you need a disc it is the perfect temperature :D.

Thanks for the useful p... oh, wait. Did you read the original post at all?

I think it's cute how everyone tries to be Prerube Jr. on this site lately.

I think the word you're looking for is prerubescent.

But to the op. I tape an led on an eagle. I tape an led on a JK Aviar. 2 discs,no bag, no setting stuff down. My experience is that the more gear I carry at night, the more stuff I lose.

Speedly .... Is there a reason you dont want to use the LED's? IMO They work WAY better than the glow discs, if you want pm me and Ill send you the info for the guy I buy mine through... he usuualy has them to my door in 3 days and you can pick up 8 lights shipped for $20

Speedly .... Is there a reason you dont want to use the LED's? IMO They work WAY better than the glow discs, if you want pm me and Ill send you the info for the guy I buy mine through... he usuualy has them to my door in 3 days and you can pick up 8 lights shipped for $20

Mostly because if the LED pops off, I lose one of my good daytime discs. I know that you've had a lot of success with them, so maybe it's irrational. A lot of it is, though, that I already own glow discs and am trying to work with what I've got already.

Last edited:
I havent had a light pop off yet since switching to clear duct tape and I have driven into trees pretty damn hard as well as hyzers into sidewalks... Packing tape pops off anytime the disc flexes