• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Congrats, Steve Mawdsley!

MikeR

Bogey Member
Congrats to local boy Steve Mawdsley on winning Advanced Grandmasters this year! If any of you are ever grouped up with him at a tourney, he's a great guy and quite representative of the kind of quality person you'll meet in the Gulf Islands. Quite inspirational for the rest of us to see someone local do this well and show us that Island Disc Golf is as good as anything else out there.

Steve's from Cortes Island (in between Vancouver Island and the mainland of British Columbia). Myself, I'm from Courtenay, which is on Vancouver Island. The Disc Golf community in this area is pretty small, so you know almost all of the players from Nanaimo on North and probably most from Victoria as well.

The courses here are quite a mix. We have very short courses with few holes over 300' like Cooper's Hawk or Village Park (Campbell River and Comox respectively). We have the very well groomed and heavily played Bowen Park in Nanaimo (which recently underwent some changes to give it some much longer T pads). We also have some hidden gems like Fir Meadows, which is a really neat layout with well thought out holes, great terrain, but lacks good T pads and often has very long grass (I still love it, but I have pretty good control and keep a close eye on where my discs go). Generally, I'd say we don't have as many big arm holes as many regions (and I can only say this based on what I've seen browsing courses in DGCR). Fir Meadows has a 690' hole, but it's a winding tunnel through the bush designed for control. You could also check the Linnaea Farm courses listed on DGCR to see what Cortes Island has to offer.

Latest posts