• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Control grip question

RedAce

So I have tried quite a bit to use a power grip on my drives but I can't seem to time it properly. I am currently using a control grip for everything fast than putters. My question is, am I selling myself short by giving up on a power grip? Do I just need to put more time into making the power grip work for me or is it possible to work around it and keep heading down the path I am on? I just don't want to hit a brick wall in my progression because I using a grip that I should only be using on mids? Please help

I fan grip everything but my Max distance drives with my destroyer. I am able to get up to 300' with my mids and 330-350 with my TD, PD, leopard, etc. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to throw for distance. I have a buddy that throws exclusively fan grip and can throw 400+.

So I have tried quite a bit to use a power grip on my drives but I can't seem to time it properly. I am currently using a control grip for everything fast than putters. My question is, am I selling myself short by giving up on a power grip? Do I just need to put more time into making the power grip work for me or is it possible to work around it and keep heading down the path I am on? I just don't want to hit a brick wall in my progression because I using a grip that I should only be using on mids? Please help

This really is a feel thing. Although, I found the power grip a big benefit on my longer throws, there are many (as Nos said) who can throw for great distance with the fan grip. I would keep practicing the power grip. After your hand muscles adjust to what you're trying to do, it may feel different. Good luck with whatever you try!

I throw everything with a fork grip, including all my distance stuff. I find the power grip uncomfortable, and difficult to control. I don't think anyone will tell me I need more D on my drives. Find what works for you by experimenting with several different types of grips. If your technique is sound, you can still get massive D with a control grip.

@ Redace. I used fork grip (some people call this fan grip) on everything speed 10 and down. On wide rims I noticed 1st digit pain at the pip jt when I tried to really rip them, so I forced my self to get use to power grip and now it's just as cozy and my fork grip. Develop your power grip before you decide not to use it.

I can't seem to time it properly.

Are you letting go of the disc? If you let it rip out of your hand instead there's nothing to time (well unless you try to pinch the disc at the hit, but don't worry about that now). As you transition to letting it rip instead of letting go you'll probably have to adjust the angle of your run-up to keep from throwing everything off to the right (rhbh), but it should actually make timing everything a little easier because it's one less thing to think about.

the power grip is Not necessary for long throws. I use a grip with my index and pinky on the rim with my ring and middle finger on the plate tucked in next to the inside of the rim. It's highly possible to get nice distance with a grip like this, for me anyway. I can get a river out to like 400 easy with this grip, and if i have a hill/ room to work with, it can go further. Everyone at my local course tries to get me to practice the power grip, but then I drive as far as they do with a lower speed disc and a modified fan grip, and they shut up. Lol . power grip can definitely ad distance, but in my opinion the sacrifice of control is not worth it .

Like everyone previously stated, you CAN get big distance without a power grip. However, most people out there will get more distance from a power grip than a fan grip. I'd definitely suggest working on improving your power grip. I did that, and found my power grip gives me around 10-20% more distance on drives. That may not be the same for you. It just takes practice.

if you are not throwing with the power grip for big distance, you are not maxing out.
it's science.

that said, anything else is what you make of it.

Interesting stuff - I remember being shown the power grip the first time and it added instant distance. Control went out the window though. I think it is definitely something to work on, as the control improves, and the distance grows.

it's important to get to know the power grip. there are many modifications you can make with your hand and fingers to make the disc come out right.
on a personal note, i use the power grip for almost everything except short upshots with approach discs.

Latest posts