• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Convince me on Teebird alternative

I don't really get the Patriot comparison. A Patriot flies nothing like a Teebird IMO. They are similar in speed and that's about it. The most stable Patriots are more like TL's, typical Patriots are more like fast Leopards.

I've gone through maybe 5 Icon Pats and 8 Pinnacles. The Pinnacles were all less stable than the Icons.

Rivals are much closer in feel and flight, slightly faster and slightly less stable than a TB on average. Of course YMMV, like all discs there is a range of stability depending on plastic and weight.

I think the Patriot I have is Icon. Brand new, it seemed to fly very similar to the brand new C-Line FD I was throwing it alongside.

The most similar disc, flight wise, I have thrown is a K1 Kaxe...this includes my Icon Rival. Its a tad bit shorter, but not much. Ignore the fact that Kastaplast calls it a mid range.

After reading this thread and having never thrown a Teebird I went to the local shop today. Came out with a 173 champ Tee bird. Threw it in a field by the store on my lunch break. Honestly didn't like it much but figured I needed more time with it. Took it to a course I play often after work, flew pretty decently. Then I lost it in a bayou after throwing it on a slight anny it flipped over and turned hyzer and flew around a curve following the bayou out of sight. I tried to find it but no hope. The water was murky from rains we had a few days ago. I'll check again when the water level goes down. Its pretty clear water most of the time, so fingers crossed I might find it.

That said, I'm lost as to if I should go buy another one. They had an Avery Jenkins star on the shelf. It flies really close to my pd for me. The be is slightly more beefy, but other than that its not super far off. Side note : not a fan of the PD

I'm not really sure the teebird is for me. My rocks seem to just fine at about the same ranges I'd throw the teebird. Someone convince me why should go buy another one.

You needed to buy a gstar teebird to pair with the champ, and then a dx for the real flippy stuff until the gstar seasons in. Eventually the champ will season to the gstar state and remain there for basically all eternity.

That's the beauty of the teebird.

I don't throw them anymore, but I certainly can't knock'em. I've thrown kc pro teebird that are beat up and they go on a line for like 400'...and I max at like 440'. Similar story with gstar.

Last edited:
I've tried to convince myself that I didn't need to throw a teebird and tried other company's equivalent... In the end can't go wrong with a teebird they are truly magical and best fairway driver out there

After reading this thread and having never thrown a Teebird I went to the local shop today. Came out with a 173 champ Tee bird. Threw it in a field by the store on my lunch break. Honestly didn't like it much but figured I needed more time with it. Took it to a course I play often after work, flew pretty decently. Then I lost it in a bayou after throwing it on a slight anny it flipped over and turned hyzer and flew around a curve following the bayou out of sight. I tried to find it but no hope. The water was murky from rains we had a few days ago. I'll check again when the water level goes down. Its pretty clear water most of the time, so fingers crossed I might find it.

That said, I'm lost as to if I should go buy another one. They had an Avery Jenkins star on the shelf. It flies really close to my pd for me. The be is slightly more beefy, but other than that its not super far off. Side note : not a fan of the PD

I'm not really sure the teebird is for me. My rocks seem to just fine at about the same ranges I'd throw the teebird. Someone convince me why should go buy another one.

How far are you throwing your Rocs? How far are you throwing a PD?

If you're not throwing 300ft, the champ and Avery are going to be too stable. Not that you can't use it, but it won't fly like it's supposed to.

I agree with what Kodachrome recommended, try a DX and a G-star, dx teebirds are really nice, just don't last all that long, but long enough to get a good feel for the bird.

I also second (or third) that the Patriot is not a substitute. A nice disc but no Teebird.

From discs I've thrown since replacing TeeBirds, the Pinnacle Rival and Neutron Crave are closest, but neither have the HSS that TeeBirds are packing. It is kind of amazing, with all the technological advances in prototyping, that the best fairway driver was released over 15 years ago...

Eh just depends on the tb and crave.
Ive thrown both and would say that about either mold given the PLH. I have thrown many craves which dont turn up from a hyzer until very seasoned.

Teebird vs crave

1449788929665.jpg

Is the JLS really a slower rim than the Teebird even though it's marked speed 8 vs 7? Not a concern, just curious. Looks like 1.6 v 1.8 rims.

The JLS is more blunt due to a lack of convex shape in the wing. It's also a lot less HSS than the TB. I bag CE QJLS in place of a Leopard. It flies the same path at 350' of power as it does at 300' of power. Amazingly consistent disc.

I gotta say, just took out the orc, vulcan, firebird, and leopard.
For the mighty teebird and his big bro thunderbird.
DX teebird
champ teebird
star thunderbird
champ thunderbird
such a good mold.

Ok, I bought a Avery Jenkins star teebird to replace the new Ken Climo champ teebird that I bought yesterday, then lost yesterday. Anyway, I find the star plastic does in fact fly straighter. Thew it a few times at lunch on a football field near work. I threw the Teebird, Leopard3, Escape, Diamond.

Finding were the diamond on a hyzer flip was consistently further, I'd say 300-320 feet, the Leopard 3 was about 3-5 foot behind it. The escape swapped places distance wise with the leopard, likely due to my form. The tee bird, although it flew the designated flight path according to the graph on infinite disc was consistently the shortest distance by about 20 feet.

I can see that it has potential to be a good disk for me, but I have a question. What is the usable range for the teebird? whats the usable range that you'd consider normal for a fairway driver, say vs a roc

A teebird flies way farther than any fairway has a right to fly.

Usable range for a tb for me is 200-400 feet depending on the shot shape. Downhill shots, add some more. I was maxing at like 415' with my beat up gstar and newer dx. Just throw it high and give it some time. The teebird is high speed stable across a stupidly large range of speeds.

I can see that it has potential to be a good disk for me, but I have a question. What is the usable range for the teebird? whats the usable range that you'd consider normal for a fairway driver, say vs a roc

At the risk of stating the obvious, the range depends on how far you throw discs of that speed level as well as your ability to shape shots.

Without naming distances, for me the fairway/control driver comes into play when I'm throwing a near-full-power shot and the shot is in the range I throw my control driver. I might throw a control driver at a basket on an upshot (like the Banshee on a hyzer, etc.), or powering down, but not often. I often tee off with control drivers, especially on wooded holes.

By way of contrast, I use mids for accuracy when I'm shooting upshots at the basket that I consider to be long for accurately (i.e. not having to throw full power) throwing a putter. With the advent of these approach discs like the Prodigy A1-A4 and the Innova Colt, Stud, and Mirage (and MVP/Axiom Proxy and Envy, of course), my use of midrange discs has been decreasing.

Did not read entire thread, but...

Neutron Crave.

A: It's more comfortable in the hand. The underside of the rim isn't as sharp and it's a little shallower.

B: It flies like a Teebird. Maybe a bit seasoned, but it doesn't season as fast, so it will remain a slightly seasoned Teebird.

C: It's Awesome.

Runner up.

In popularity and probably to the straight to no fade line (can be achieved with a seasoned star ex), but everything else the EX is superior: better forehands, better flex shots, better "S" shots, fights wind better, achieves more lines, etc.