• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cornhole on ESPN 2 this afternoon....Where has disc golf gone wrong?

I'd rather watch cornhole over golf, but neither are as entertaining to me as the flight of a disc.

Cornhole coverage has the slow lobs, the smack of the bags on the wood, the way the bag slips away into the hole, it's kind of zen, at least. That's what ball golf coverage is going for, right? If you need to add bird sounds to the coverage to spice it up, that ain't my sport. https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/masters-cbs-coverage-birds-real-fake.html

I'm also older and facing the fact that my free time is finite. Their 162 games are three hours each, give or take. I don't have that kind of time for things I don't love.

THIS. I enjoy cycling, and I discovered the Tour de France last year. I DVR it, but I can't sit for 6 hours and watch it each night because I need to be out riding my bike... or now playing DG. I'll save it and watch it when it's raining/cold.

I've watched more DG tutorials than I have tournament coverage, but I have watched Eric and Tina narrate a round that he did recently. I couldn't stop watching - it was not like watching 'regular' golf coverage at all. It was faster, it was more entertaining - but I find myself wanting to watch just enough to motivate myself to get out the door and go play while the weather allows!

Good points....

Also I feel like we are in an era where a lot of people are lacking the patience to watch a sport, kind of like Baseball. People seem to lack that longer attention span where it doesnt gain much interest anymore unless you play it. I will admit I never liked watching Golf on TV or entire baseball games for years now. It's probably why I just watch just DG help videos or highlights.

1. Most people have played cornhole and many of those people can understand the novelty of it being on ESPN.
2. Most people have NOT played disc golf, therefore associating it as even a novelty game is more difficult that a game like cornhole.
3. Disc golfers unfortunately have a reputation of being stoners/slackers so that ties into the lack of respect/awareness the game garners.

The good news is that outfits like Jomez & Central Coast have proved well for the sport in that ESPN is adding aces and perfect rounds to their Top 10 lists--with a little patronage added, none-the-less legitimizing the sport little by little to those who had never heard of it or had the wrong idea of it. Eventually the stigma and lack of awareness from years past will be just that and these young guns who are coming up will bring many more fans up with them.

Once that awareness is up, who knows, maybe ESPN will take a flier on it.

...I'm also older and facing the fact that my free time is finite. Their 162 games are three hours each, give or take. I don't have that kind of time for things I don't love...

This is exactly the realization I came to a few years ago. Being a devoted baseball fan is a huge time commitment. The summer is only so long. It's a shame to waste it parked in front of the tv.

I grew up watching and loving the Detroit Tigers. Now I can't even sit through a regular season game. I think our attention spans are dwindling, fast.
Or maybe because the Tigers are in a rebuild and you pretty much know the outcome.

Cornhole is a soft, knockoff excuse for a sport ? Real men throw horseshoes.

I very much enjoy playing both games and am more than reasonably skilled at both (compared to the average bear). I really don't think horseshoes is any more difficult to become competent* at, presuming you're physically able to throw the horseshoe the requisite distance. Where cornhole wins out over horseshoes is that you can load up the cornhole boards in your car and take them to the tailgate party. Taking the horseshoe pits on the road is notably more difficult

*By "competent" I mean able to hold your own against the other people playing

I very much enjoy playing both games and am more than reasonably skilled at both (compared to the average bear). I really don't think horseshoes is any more difficult to become competent* at, presuming you're physically able to throw the horseshoe the requisite distance. Where cornhole wins out over horseshoes is that you can load up the cornhole boards in your car and take them to the tailgate party. Taking the horseshoe pits on the road is notably more difficult

*By "competent" I mean able to hold your own against the other people playing
Fair enough, but horseshoes get the nod for me because it hurts like hell to get hit by an errant throw.

Instead of covering a tournament maybe ESPN should try a weekly half hour program of highlights of the previous week and updates of upcoming tournaments. Also we have some real characters in our sport that would make for great player profile segments.

01-i-am-the-great-cornholio.jpg

Instead of covering a tournament maybe ESPN should try a weekly half hour program of highlights of the previous week and updates of upcoming tournaments. Also we have some real characters in our sport that would make for great player profile segments.

This sounds less appealing than an actual tournament.

1. Most people have played cornhole and many of those people can understand the novelty of it being on ESPN.
2. Most people have NOT played disc golf, therefore associating it as even a novelty game is more difficult that a game like cornhole.
3. Disc golfers unfortunately have a reputation of being stoners/slackers so that ties into the lack of respect/awareness the game garners.

The good news is that outfits like Jomez & Central Coast have proved well for the sport in that ESPN is adding aces and perfect rounds to their Top 10 lists--with a little patronage added, none-the-less legitimizing the sport little by little to those who had never heard of it or had the wrong idea of it. Eventually the stigma and lack of awareness from years past will be just that and these young guns who are coming up will bring many more fans up with them.

Once that awareness is up, who knows, maybe ESPN will take a flier on it.

Too many aces were shown in a short period of time on Sportscenter. I have had a couple of friends mention the aces to me that do not play and got the impression that everyone aces a hole every few rounds. When I tell people I have 3 aces in golf in 43 years they are shocked, but when I tell people I have 24 aces in disc golf in 14 years they think they sport is much easier than golf and a novelty like cornhole.

Latest posts