• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courtesy Rules Question

U_NICED_ME

* Ace Member *
This weekend I played a Winter Jam Fundraiser on a pitch and putt course. There were 100 players on this short course that has several crossing fairways.

Well, to make a long story short, I got hit by a disc...it was a Star Stingray. :( I was putting on hole #18 and someone drove on hole #9. The basket for 9 is about 20 feet left and 40 feet in front of 18.

This isn't a blind hole, so I was in plain view. After I was almost hit, another disc came close shortly after.

What the heck is the rule? I've always heard the higher card has the right of way. Would that mean if there was a chance for them to hit another group, shouldn't they have waited?

In all honesty, it's common sense to me. But if you need to invoke a rule to issue a warning, what is it?

Last edited:
It was a Rec Card, but still I wish I could have explained to them the rule. I looked in the handbook and couldn't find it.

Where else in Raleigh are you most likely to get hit with a disc?

there is no codified rule granting the higher hole "right of way". it is definitely the unwritten rule in NC however and common sense would dictate they wait for you to get out of the line of fire. did they yell "fore"?

Yea...I always knew it would happen someday!!!! It was ridic. I just spotted the little old man that hit me in the background of a pic someone took that day. If he had been anyone else, I would have really thrown a fit :\

there is no codified rule granting the higher hole "right of way". it is definitely the unwritten rule in NC however and common sense would dictate they wait for you to get out of the line of fire. did they yell "fore"?

at the last minute. Just in time for me to turn around, put my arm up in front of my face, and it pinged off my ulna. The second disc landed about 10 feet from me.

My question is this, does the TD have a responsibility on a course with crossing fairways to establish a 'right of way' rule? Especially since it isn't clearly defined in the PDGA Rules of Play Handbook. And, should there be a blanket policy?

imo allowing more than 72 players onto kentwood at a time is a mistake.

to answer your questions:
yes, or to at least make it clear in the players meeting that the course is overcrowded and extra care needs to be taken (of course this assumes players actually attend and listen to the players meeting)

i don't believe there should be a blanket policy- common sense should dictate this sort of thing (again- making assumption folks have common sense)- some times it makes more sense for the lower hole to go ahead.

I think allowing more than 30 people on Kentwood at once is a mistake. lulz

That's a good point. IMO, 90 was too many players, too.

I do think though, if it's something subjective....a simple rule might make more sense. If both cards agree, one should play before the other. Nothing wrong with communicating, it's easy enough to wave someone through.

First rule of courtesy
801.01A reads:
A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

I can't find a written reference to right of way - but as long as I've been playing events - the unwritten rule is that higher hole plays first - pretty common sense to keep flow going.

The first rule of courtesy is really what governs the OP's situation - throwing while another player is obviously in play is a courtesy violation. This should be gently explained to novice/rec tournament players just to help them develop good etiquette. In sanctioned play - the thrower should receive a warning for courtesy - it should be marked on the card - and any subsequent courtesy violation should be an added stroke.

Latest posts