• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

COVID-19 Course Closures

Under the rules of our stay at home order in NC, parks are open but users are required to observe social distancing measures. Wake county specifically allows golfing. Wonder if that applies to disc golfing as well?

Based on the responses on the Charlotte DGC FB page, the stay at home order here, which began Thursday morning, hasn't slowed down the amount of disc golf for some people. For some people, it's seemingly increased the amount they're playing, orders be damned.

https://www.washtenaw.org/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=304

Rolling Hills County Park - Closed through April 13, 2020

Effective March 28, 2020, Rolling Hills County Park gates will be closed through April 13, 2020, as an additional precautionary measure to slow the spread of the Coronavirus. Trails within the park are still open to foot traffic and bikers.

https://www.washtenaw.org/AlertCenter.aspx

Independence Lake County Park - Closed through April 13, 2020

Effective March 28, 2020, Independence Lake County Park gates will be closed through April 13, 2020, as an additional precautionary measure to slow the spread of the Coronavirus. Trails within the park are still open to foot traffic and bikers.

Holly Woods: Course and picnic shelters are closed, but park remains open for some activites. I'm trying to upload a photo of the signs posted but file size is too big.

Last edited:
Some of the course closures (at least in this area), are the result of park personnel personally observing groups that aren't practicing safe distancing.

In some cases, the parks themselves remain open for walking, hiking, fishing, etc. but they're specifically posting signs indicating the course is closed, because of, well... idjits. :( :wall:

Some of the course closures (at least in this area), are the result of park personnel personally observing groups that aren't practicing safe distancing.

In some cases, the parks themselves remain open for walking, hiking, fishing, etc. but they're specifically posting signs indicating the course is closed, because of, well... idjits. :( :wall:

Yeah, the Washtenaw notification was pretty damning. They clearly stated that the courses parks were being locked, because disc golfers did not give a **** as to what anyone said. Man, it gives me pause for a second to rethink the work that I do for the disc golf community. I, like many golfers, give considerable volunteer time to make the game and courses around here better. Mostly for the very same few douchbags that have cost me the chance to play during this time. Getting out and playing disc golf would mean a TON for my psyche. It offered one of the few coping mechanisms for me. Taken away by some very ignorant, very selfish, very entitled golfers. Next time I see some of them....I shall fart in their general direction. :|

The Word of the Day is Covidiots.

I shall go forth and inundate society with this euphemism. Of course, giving DavidSauls all credit. Outstanding....that is freaking awesome. :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

It was given to me, without copyright. I like wordsmithing but I can't take credit.

Rarely has a new word been more needed.

From the Michigan DNR. We have several State Parks and/or State Recreation Areas that have courses.

Closures and reduction in services include:
• Many park amenities have been closed in order to minimize the chance of people gathering in groups and/or maximize the environment for effective social distancing. Current closures include, but are not limited to, concessions, playgrounds and play equipment, viewing platforms, fishing piers, GaGa ball bits, volleyball and basketball courts, designated dog areas, disc golf courses, radio-controlled flying fields, pump tracks, and picnic tables and shelters.

Our private course is still open, under the condition that people observe social distancing. We've had 2 groups a day last weekend and this.....which is heavy traffic for us. It's very remote; other than the drive, it's about as safe as you can be.

Yesterday and today, players included 2 nurses and an EMT. Considering what else they're dealing with in their life, I almost wanted to give them a hug, just for what they do. But refrained. Glad we could give them a bit of respite, though.

Pueblo City Park

Pueblo City Park in Pueblo, Colorado is closed due to the pandemic. Changed course conditions to unplayable. Doesn't mean you still can't bag it early in the morning in an empty park!

Waller Mill Park

Waller Mill Park in Williamsburg, Va is closed. The city felt like they couldn't find a way to separate the staff with the patrons. Seems to be working very well at other local courses.

Pueblo City Park in Pueblo, Colorado is closed due to the pandemic. Changed course conditions to unplayable. Doesn't mean you still can't bag it early in the morning in an empty park!

Please don't. Honestly, this just seems like a bad decision, with pretty foreseeable ramifications.

Showing disregard for the rules of the park, will always paint a bad picture of your local community of disc golf. Perhaps the reputation of our game. in general is positive in your area, but tarnishing it can only serve to put the course's future at risk.

Based on the responses on the Charlotte DGC FB page, the stay at home order here, which began Thursday morning, hasn't slowed down the amount of disc golf for some people. For some people, it's seemingly increased the amount they're playing, orders be damned.

I agree. I played Rock Ridge in Pittsboro yesterday and there were more players than I have ever seen there. Typically, there are 4 or 5 cars beside my group. Yesterday there were at least a dozen cars.

Drove past the course closest to my house yesterday and there were a ton of people playing. Guess with a lot of people not going to work they must have plenty of time for doing other things.

I did a little field work in a large field with no one around. We have permission from the powers that be to get outside and walk or jog or take the dog for a walk so I figure being outside in a wide open space with nobody around doesn't put me or anybody else at risk but I'll probably wait to hit the courses until this stuff blows over.

Please don't. Honestly, this just seems like a bad decision, with pretty foreseeable ramifications.

Showing disregard for the rules of the park, will always paint a bad picture of your local community of disc golf. Perhaps the reputation of our game. in general is positive in your area, but tarnishing it can only serve to put the course's future at risk.

Only if you get caught. This is a minor infraction compared to other rules I choose not to follow in life.

Only if you get caught. This is a minor infraction compared to other rules I choose not to follow in life.

Plus they only posted course closure signs at hole 1. When I start on an odd ball hole and get to hole 1 and see that, I'm going to finish what I started.