• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

I just took a new Z Comet out today, and it's my first time throwing one. Previously, I've thrown mainly Buzzz/Hornet/Drone for midrange. I'm definitely still partial to the "no-bead" feel, but that Comet is a fun disc to throw. I would have thrown it a lot more, but there was too much wind! I also brought out a new Big Z Mantis, and I like how it feels and flies.

I just took a new Z Comet out today, and it's my first time throwing one. Previously, I've thrown mainly Buzzz/Hornet/Drone for midrange. I'm definitely still partial to the "no-bead" feel, but that Comet is a fun disc to throw. I would have thrown it a lot more, but there was too much wind! I also brought out a new Big Z Mantis, and I like how it feels and flies.

I primarily throw Wasp Buzzz Meteor... I have always had an affinity for the Buzzz but I'll tell you something... That comet I carried yesterday took almost the entire shot selection my Meteor has and about half of what the Buzzz does. I love my Buzzz I don't think I can see them out of my bag.

That being said I'm also looking at the mantis. How far can you throw a buzz and how far could you throw your mantis? Was it controllable?

That being said I'm also looking at the mantis. How far can you throw a buzz and how far could you throw your mantis? Was it controllable?

I don't have a big arm and haven't measured distances meticulously, but there's no comparison in distance. My Buzzz will go up to maybe 250 (usually shorter), but the mantis substantially farther. Maybe 350? I think you should give it a shot. This was the first day I took this one out. I think there's potential controllability, but I haven't explored the full potential yet.

I started throwing a Z Mantis today. I like it, it fits right in between my seasoned Pro Leopard and Champion Teebird and goes about 10-15 further. Can't wait to get some wear on it and really start using it for hyzer flips.

I don't have a big arm and haven't measured distances meticulously, but there's no comparison in distance. My Buzzz will go up to maybe 250 (usually shorter), but the mantis substantially farther. Maybe 350? I think you should give it a shot. This was the first day I took this one out. I think there's potential controllability, but I haven't explored the full potential yet.

Something is not quiet right here if you can't get a Buzzz to 250ft yet can throw a Mantis 350ft. Find a football field and know your distance, it's an important piece of information for your game.

On to Discraft. Anyone throwing the Heat? Was thinking of picking up a Sidewinder but saw that the Heat looks a bit similar. Any Thoughts?

Something is not quiet right here if you can't get a Buzzz to 250ft yet can throw a Mantis 350ft. Find a football field and know your distance, it's an important piece of information for your game.

On to Discraft. Anyone throwing the Heat? Was thinking of picking up a Sidewinder but saw that the Heat looks a bit similar. Any Thoughts?

I just picked one up and am going to check it out this afternoon. I've heard it referred as a longer comet. So I'm excited to check it out

I liked the Heat as a flier, but it's got an enormous dome and I didn't like the grip.

My disc in that slot is a Napalm/Jun(same disc different branding) and it flies as far with better control and wind resistance. Kind of like a Sword or Krait.

Got to play with it for a few holes but I am still learning the disc. I liked it for what it offered but 2/3 holes I threw it on it had a phantom branch. For me, I don't have the fastest arm out there but I was still able to have this disc go straight and even turnover a bit. I really like it at this point. And I played with my stalker one 'last' time before deciding if I wanted to sell and I can tell you I don't. I was really able to make that disc work today. Finally, the comet really is taking up my buzzz except for approaches. I much prefer the buzzz because it just doesn't over-glide past the basket.

I see little mention of the Stratus and it's been a workhorse for me since I started playing in May. It was the first disc I could throw straight reliably, and now it's just as predictable but I use it on any hole where I need a nice long glidey right turn. My 166 is pretty beat and flippy at this point, and the 173 is newer and straighter. I use both and always feel confident in how they'll perform even though my form is still a work in progress. Hope to see it offered in Z, ESP, FLX etc. at some point.

At my course there's a hole with a big gully between the tee and fairway, and the basket is uphill. When the wind is right, there's a nice updraft through that gully. The other day there was a big gust right as I threw the stratus and the thing went like 350', well past the basket. I can reach 300' on a good day so it was pretty awesome to watch it sail away like that.

Had a bad tournament and mediocre scores lately, which lit a little fire in my belly so that makes me happy. This season i really cooled down on disc golf for the first time and although I'm always improving a little I haven't felt that competitive drive until now. I'm improving a lot of my techniques and strategies right now but it will be for the better once I dial in again. It's been almost a month since I felt pretty dialed in lol.

My bag as always is ever changing, but only ever by small tweaks and always with the same discs from my car. At the moment I'm liking:

2 worn D Challengers 174 slight puddle tops. One for putting only, one for ups, drives, and practice putts. Cozy, touch, perfection.
Pro Breaker 175, grippy plastic. Pretty fast, flat, overstable, stiff, and durable for a putter. I throw these three putters more than any other discs.

ESP Comet 176, pretty worn. Nice dome, nice and slow, not too understable but a predictable turning disc.
Z Buzzz 181, beat, fairly understable for a Z Buzzz. I love this disc, I'm usually driving this when people are throwing fairways. It flies very fast and straight and is useful for a ton of different lines.
ESP Wasp 178 (and my drone) replaced my BuzzzOS for the moment. This Wasp is nice and overstable.
180 Z Drone very overstable, but has a much softer landing and skip than a fairway driver when I forehand it.

Two big Z Mantis 175, one more beat than the other. I've grown to prefer Big Z, ESP, and Proline lately. The Mantis is still my favorite disc, nice dome, love it.
Z Avenger 174, worn. Used to be really overstable like a PD, now it will flip up. I like this for a lot for forehands too.
Big Z Predator 175, very flat top high wing. Very overstable, very awesome, very important.

Two Z Cranks 172, pretty worn. Nice domes, they both fly the same. They started pretty stable and retained their stability well which surprised me on both accounts. Imperceptibly slower and less overstable than Nukes, just like a worn Destroyer. Still they work really well for hyzers. Love this disc, a little more controllable and comfortable than my Nukes so I'm going to throw these for a while.
Two Z Forces, 175 and 168. The 175 is an SCTop10 and is very flat with a very high wing and it's a meathook so that comes in handy sometimes. The 168 is a recent trade, nice mild dome and quite overstable. Usually I throw overstables Nukes because they're faster but this is a little more comfy so we'll see how it goes. Obviously it's been flying great for fast long overstable shots.

I see little mention of the Stratus and it's been a workhorse for me since I started playing in May. It was the first disc I could throw straight reliably, and now it's just as predictable but I use it on any hole where I need a nice long glidey right turn.

I like the Stratus, also. It was my first non-Innova disc, and mine is 174g in Elite-X. I use it for shots I want to turn over (RHBH) and go right. It also is very long for a midrange disc but not quite up to a control driver. If it came in the equivalent of Star plastic and a bit more firm than the soft X plastic, it probably would be in my core bag.

Had a bad tournament and mediocre scores lately, which lit a little fire in my belly so that makes me happy. This season i really cooled down on disc golf for the first time and although I'm always improving a little I haven't felt that competitive drive until now. I'm improving a lot of my techniques and strategies right now but it will be for the better once I dial in again. It's been almost a month since I felt pretty dialed in lol.

My bag as always is ever changing, but only ever by small tweaks and always with the same discs from my car. At the moment I'm liking:

2 worn D Challengers 174 slight puddle tops. One for putting only, one for ups, drives, and practice putts. Cozy, touch, perfection.
Pro Breaker 175, grippy plastic. Pretty fast, flat, overstable, stiff, and durable for a putter. I throw these three putters more than any other discs.

ESP Comet 176, pretty worn. Nice dome, nice and slow, not too understable but a predictable turning disc.
Z Buzzz 181, beat, fairly understable for a Z Buzzz. I love this disc, I'm usually driving this when people are throwing fairways. It flies very fast and straight and is useful for a ton of different lines.
ESP Wasp 178 (and my drone) replaced my BuzzzOS for the moment. This Wasp is nice and overstable.
180 Z Drone very overstable, but has a much softer landing and skip than a fairway driver when I forehand it.

Two big Z Mantis 175, one more beat than the other. I've grown to prefer Big Z, ESP, and Proline lately. The Mantis is still my favorite disc, nice dome, love it.
Z Avenger 174, worn. Used to be really overstable like a PD, now it will flip up. I like this for a lot for forehands too.
Big Z Predator 175, very flat top high wing. Very overstable, very awesome, very important.

Two Z Cranks 172, pretty worn. Nice domes, they both fly the same. They started pretty stable and retained their stability well which surprised me on both accounts. Imperceptibly slower and less overstable than Nukes, just like a worn Destroyer. Still they work really well for hyzers. Love this disc, a little more controllable and comfortable than my Nukes so I'm going to throw these for a while.
Two Z Forces, 175 and 168. The 175 is an SCTop10 and is very flat with a very high wing and it's a meathook so that comes in handy sometimes. The 168 is a recent trade, nice mild dome and quite overstable. Usually I throw overstables Nukes because they're faster but this is a little more comfy so we'll see how it goes. Obviously it's been flying great for fast long overstable shots.

I too have gone more towards discraft. At the moment:

172g Z Heat for my long drives. I am actually surprised at how understable it actually is. Hyzer flips are my biggest weakness on driving and I need to get it down to really utilize this disc better.

168g Z Predator. This is OS duty...I don't throw it often but this disc has insane amounts of OS, more than what I typically hear of from other predator users.

172 Z Avenger, moderate OS fairway

166 X Avenger, stable fairway

171 Pro D Avenger SS, beating this into a US fairway or roller.

175 Z Stalker, Shorter than my avenger, longer than my mids. Work horse. I can put it on hyzer or anhyzer or just dead straight.

170g Z Wasp. OS mid

172 ESP Comet, co-workhorse mid. I want to get an X comet that I can beat in though.

174 Z Buzzz. Driving midrange, can get close to 300' on low tunnel shots. Other co-workhorse mid.

174 FLX Buzzz. Approach shots. I really like the feel of FLX when approaching the basket, very predictable fade.

3x 175g wizards. This is the one disc I am not happy with at the moment. I really don't like how deep the wizard is and I do have a challenger which I like slightly better but it is soft-x which just seems to squishy for my liking.

I too have gone more towards discraft. At the moment:

172g Z Heat for my long drives. I am actually surprised at how understable it actually is. Hyzer flips are my biggest weakness on driving and I need to get it down to really utilize this disc better.

168g Z Predator. This is OS duty...I don't throw it often but this disc has insane amounts of OS, more than what I typically hear of from other predator users.

172 Z Avenger, moderate OS fairway

166 X Avenger, stable fairway

171 Pro D Avenger SS, beating this into a US fairway or roller.

175 Z Stalker, Shorter than my avenger, longer than my mids. Work horse. I can put it on hyzer or anhyzer or just dead straight.

170g Z Wasp. OS mid

172 ESP Comet, co-workhorse mid. I want to get an X comet that I can beat in though.

174 Z Buzzz. Driving midrange, can get close to 300' on low tunnel shots. Other co-workhorse mid.

174 FLX Buzzz. Approach shots. I really like the feel of FLX when approaching the basket, very predictable fade.

3x 175g wizards. This is the one disc I am not happy with at the moment. I really don't like how deep the wizard is and I do have a challenger which I like slightly better but it is soft-x which just seems to squishy for my liking.

Sweet bag man! You have good taste. yeah some Preds I have have more dome and a lower wing which makes them glide a lot further, but they're still money obviously. The Heat is so trusty to turn over from a hyzer angle which is confidence inspiring and the big Z stamp is the best. Definitely check out the Z SurgeSS it's so great for long straight tunnel shots. I prefer ESP comets myself, not as a big a fan of the X they just beat in too quickly for me. I don't like flexible discs typically but an ESP FLX Buzzz is such a money approach disc that offers so much more touch and control than most discs. I have always loved D Challengers, it one of my first couple of discs. They are so palm filling and round feeling. SUCH a great disc!

I'm newly married everybody...to the discs in my sig. I decided to stick with what works best, permanently. I'm on lockdown now. No switching and no other molds. I'll be faithful and we'll both benefit lol. The Challenger, Comet, Buzzz, Wasp, Predator, and even the Nuke were among my very first discs so they're so familiar now. I have grown to adore ESP so in the future when I need a fresh stable disc it will be ESP as long as I can get it cheap. How unforunate for my discs that they're stuck with me for good now. My wallet and scores are the real winner in this relationship. I have enough discs to be set for life lol, time to sell some.

Bump.

Picked up a new white Pro D Chally at Academy that feels like they dumped some sawdust or something in the plastic. One of the best feeling Challengers (Discs) I've ever felt.

Bump.
Picked up a new white Pro D Chally at Academy that feels like they dumped some sawdust or something in the plastic. One of the best feeling Challengers (Discs) I've ever felt.

I really have to resist buying Challengers at Academy. If the Pro-D plastic were a bit more durable, I might have ended up bagging the Challenger as my main putter.

And since the thread is bumped, I'll add that I've put the Nate Doss Titanium Buzzz in my core bag. It went in for testing (vs. the Sockibomb Compass and Roc3) and I can't get it out of my bag. The hyzer lines are easy to throw, the disc holds the lines then glides that 'just right' amount. It also throws very well on dead-straight tunnel shots in the woods, with just a bit of dump fade at the end. I'm also using it more on flex shots, though in the clutch I reach for the Champion Mako3 for anny shots.

If Discraft made more discs in Ti plastic, and the ones they do make in Ti in brighter colors, I'd probably have a few more of them in my bag.

Just for fun, I took some Discraft randoms from my stash and built a bag with them for leagues:

167 ESP Flash
167 Z AvSS
167 Big Z Mantis
167 Z Mantis
173 Z Buzzz
174 Z Comet
174 X Comet
180 D Zeppelin
174 D Challenger (2)

Just for fun, I took some Discraft randoms from my stash and built a bag with them for leagues:

167 ESP Flash
167 Z AvSS
167 Big Z Mantis
167 Z Mantis
173 Z Buzzz
174 Z Comet
174 X Comet
180 D Zeppelin
174 D Challenger (2)

Wow, liked this setup a lot. The only thing I really felt missing was a Zone.